Sign in to follow this  
Raeyn

Getting Started--Occupations

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I recently discovered this game and we're trying to figure out how to fit in to this large (and already populated) world. For instance, we're wondering if any of you might have suggestions for what we could do to help out the community. Does Pristine need more tailors, more jewelers, more farmers, etc. Is there a noticeable lack of a certain trade that could benefit everyone? We've recently made a temporary home just west of the Tunnel of Unrest, and before we go searching for a more permanent place we would like to have a general idea of what our contribution will be. (For instance, will we need access to the ocean, or is a wooded are okay?)

So far I've thought I would like to be a tailor and maybe jeweler of some kind, but then I realized there isn't really that much you can make with tailoring (it looks like there's only one piece for each part of the body), and my boyfriend was thinking about being a carpenter or blacksmith. Any thoughts on these ideas?

Thanks so much for your help, and I'm excited to hear your ideas! :)

• Like 2

I would suggest you be a priest this way you can do all the farming and animal stuff and leave him to do the building and blacksmith work. Then later on when you get your skills good enough he can make the tools/weapons and you can cast enchants on them and you can sell them either on the forums or at a market on a merchant. While you are working on your skills to do that you can always make extra money on selling bulk goods.

I would say to get mining, blacksmithing, and carpentry up to the 30 or 40 range, regardless, so you can do the little things on your own if you want.  From that point you can build yourself a decent wooden house somewhere, and be able to make decent tools as well.

Then you will have a better feel for what you like doing and maybe an idea of what is needed in your area.

If you are interested in joining a village, Demons Reach is near where you mention settling. :D

6+ active villagers currently, and room for more

Otherwise though, like kegan said. If one of you is interested in nature skills, having a priest can be very rewarding (after the hard work is put in)

As a priest you can breed animals, farm, and make bulk materials. All three are decent ways to make money in the game and will pretty much always have a market.

I suggest bouncing around with some carpentry, masonry, and a little smithing also though to feel the game out and see what you might enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all of your feedback!

I have a couple concerns though. For one we both tend to play a lot of games and we rarely play one exclusively. So I would be worried that our animals/farm would die as I just don't think we would log in every single day. Heck, sometimes I'll go weeks without playing WoW because I'm really absorbed by something else (like I currently am with Wurm). I've also run into so many farms that I thought the market was pretty well saturated, but if not perhaps we'll give it a go anyway! That could be fun. :)

I really liked the idea of doing something kind of commodity based. For instance, things people don't necessarily need but would like to have and never get around to making on their own. Cosmetic touches I suppose, but I don't know if there's any sort of market for that. 

As for joining a village my concern is along the same lines as raising animals. I don't want the village mayors to feel like we're just leeching. We definitely want to find our own piece of the world, and while having close ties to villages might be great, I'm just not sure how much we can offer them (what with focusing on our own land and not logging in every day.)

I hope all of that makes sense, and thank you again! :)

Raeyn...that's the name of my Eve character :)

Try not to think too hard about choosing a profession straight away. Other than making bulk goods, you'll likely need pretty high stats in order to make items that people want to buy. (This will take quite some time to reach)

In the mean time, give everything a go, find what you enjoy and keep doing that. Over time, you'll learn what people need and buy. Dont focus too much on trying to make money in Wurm right from the start. It'll be more pain than gain to begin with. Invest some real $$$ into your premium and possibly a few tools to get you started. (Some Circle of Cunning enchants will really speed up your skilling process)

In the end, it's a game designed for fun, not as a job. I wish you the best of luck on P&R :D

Try not to think too hard about choosing a profession straight away. Other than making bulk goods, you'll likely need pretty high stats in order to make items that people want to buy. (This will take quite some time to reach)

In the mean time, give everything a go, find what you enjoy and keep doing that. Over time, you'll learn what people need and buy. Dont focus too much on trying to make money in Wurm right from the start. It'll be more pain than gain to begin with. Invest some real $$$ into your premium and possibly a few tools to get you started. (Some Circle of Cunning enchants will really speed up your skilling process)

In the end, it's a game designed for fun, not as a job. I wish you the best of luck on P&R :D

This

This was one of the few games I was able to get the name Raeyn so I was pretty excited about that!

My motivation behind the occupation thing was less to do with making money and more to do with character development, if that makes sense. Whether I roleplay or not I always like to have a fairly decent understanding of the character I am in every game I play. So I was more interested in what roles could possibly need filled and then go from there to shape the character. :)

As for a home we are getting settled in at the Garden of Shadows, so that's taken care of at least! 

I really liked the idea of doing something kind of commodity based. For instance, things people don't necessarily need but would like to have and never get around to making on their own. Cosmetic touches I suppose, but I don't know if there's any sort of market for that. 

An idea: dye. :) I haven't seen yet interest on Pristine, but I think there will always be people who want the coolest color for their boat or other items. Only some items can be dyed unfortunately (boats, carts, some containers), but still on older servers there's always someone with a passion for obtaining a pure color and a place for it.

Edited by Looniel

An idea: dye. :) I haven't seen yet interest on Pristine, but I think there will always be people who want the coolest color for their boat or other items. Only some items can be dyed unfortunately (boats, carts, some containers), but still on older servers there's always someone with a passion for obtaining a pure color and a place for it.

Not a bad suggestion, especially since it leads to doing a bunch of other stuff too (hunting for dye ingredients etc).

Fundamentally there's not going to be any skills desperately in need of someone to step up and do it, which is why everyone says just to do whatever you enjoy :)