Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

More diversity when crafting?

I just started watching the latest factional fight video and they started talking about crafting and it gave me an idea. I have not took the time to think about it very much and it is not really a suggestion yet but wanted to start a discussion  on crafting and see what could be done to make it more diverse. 

The way it is now we craft tools and every one is the same the only variance is the ql of the tool then it goes on to be cast with coc or woa. Now what if we had more options or chance to craft special traits to tools like +1 to speed, +1 to ql or better wear things like that. This would give everyone an opportunity to have something different every time they craft kind of like rare tools but even more so...

I don't know exactly what would be the most interesting way to do this that is why i just wanted to start the discussion. What do you think would work well? 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Special buffs added on tools with drumrolls, but with different color swirl and another kind of reward instead of rare/supreme/fantastic?

+1 to adding some special traits on each tool [if not on each, atleast on some ^^]

another idea could be to add 1-5euros/silver worth trait buff scrolls to wurm shop - more $ for Rolf.

people could buy them and add little bonuses to their tools/weapons.

Nothing too big to gain an 'unfair advantage'

[surely not pay2win if someone has +1ql or +5% skillgain buff on a shovel, hardly matters..]

Edited by silakka

well that was what i was wondering if maybe a new way to improve the tools might be fun like something you are talk about with scrolls or something ..idk 

It just seems that if you want to be a relevant tool maker you have to be 90+ or have a good priest coupled with it. If tools were made with random stats it might help the new guy to sell a few more tools. It might be to much but wanted to get it out there seems like it would be a good thing to me but i don't know. 

I like the idea.  Some traits that could affect the quality of the item (like a chance to boost the quality of the item by +10, +20, etc on creation), affect the speed of the tool, a skill gain boost, etc.  I agree with Silakka that they could be minor boosts so as not to be "unfair" but at the same time adds variety.  I'm thinking of EQNL where you can have a chance to make a "Crude" Pickaxe vs a "Superior" one, etc that might have a minor boost.  

Another thing I have always *HATED* about the Rare/Supreme/Fantastic item system is that the benefits are vague on many items.  Sure, a rare wagon will go a little faster and a rare pickaxe will give you a +1 QL increase on ore mined, but it'd be nice if that was defined a bit more specifically, especially on items where it isn't as clear now.

Don't like the idea of just selling a +5% skillgain scroll type thing.

I think it would work well as a chance on drumroll too.

well that was what i was wondering if maybe a new way to improve the tools might be fun like something you are talk about with scrolls or something ..idk 

It just seems that if you want to be a relevant tool maker you have to be 90+ or have a good priest coupled with it. If tools were made with random stats it might help the new guy to sell a few more tools. It might be to much but wanted to get it out there seems like it would be a good thing to me but i don't know. 

That's a good point Kegan - it would maybe encourage cooperation between a blacksmith and enchanters more (or perhaps result in more 2-boxing, which may not be the intended result).

Sounds exactly like what EQNL is doing. . .

I don't want more randomness, UNLESS this is earned (or a chance to earn) when imping NOT crafting the item. (unless it's a craft-only item, no imping to it) spam-creating 1000 items for 1 good one is beyond stupid in any and every game this has been in. >_<

• Like 1

I'd like to see more diversity in crafting thats...not the "make it better by x qualifier" sort of deal. Like it just looks different, has different designs, that sort of thing.

another idea could be to add 1-5euros/silver worth trait buff scrolls to wurm shop - more $ for Rolf.

people could buy them and add little bonuses to their tools/weapons.

No, just absolutely no. Wurm is (hopefully) not gonna turn to another pay-to-win catastrophy, just no. Don't even think about adding cash shop, if that happens, i'm out and will not spend another dime on the premiums.

On the actual idea though, yeah it has some potential. Like Ultima Online had, special effects. Can not remember them exactly, but there were some and they had prefixes or suffixes to the weapons original name (Which World of Warcraft then further improved the concept and it works to a certain point). 

What I would like to see is, I would like to see is, some sort of D&D stuff, like "Additional chance to hit fire / ice / [element] damage", which kinda is already is in the game via enchants, but not everyone has access to those. Or stuff like, has a chance of a double hit, or maybe reduce the swing timer a bit. 

On tools, maybe something like, reduce your next action timer by a bit, maybe improve the QL of the target, or proc an additional ore or a bigger ore while mining, for example.

In general i'd like boots to get the increase movement speed stat, gloves to reduce swing timer, like as an additional stat (an enchant if you will). It would only as well be logical (You do walk / run faster in certain terrains with certain types of shoes, has been tested and proven).

And like during the winter, if you run bare feet your feet get cold and you slow down.

But i'm getting a head of myself, i'll let someone else get me another idea burst and continue from there.  :rolleyes: 

TL;DR: I'd like to see some kind of improvement and diversity (well chose word by OP) to the somewhat simple equipments. 

• Like 1

my favorite part of wurm is the crafting in its simplistic beauty

everything is there you can make it all

the diversity comes from you

how good did you want it to be?

even a 1ql pickaxe can be made into a rare 90ql pickaxe with enchants given time

but its the time thats important

if you add a random stat functionality its just gonna be grinded out like everything else just to get that one stat you want, in eqnl its the worst i think,  spend all your time to get the mats to make the pickaxe that will be obsolete for endgame stuff, the pickaxe itself is a useless unfruitful stepping stone to the next tier of endless colors... when does it end? how many obsolete pickaxes will i waste my time on? how would that effect the database in wurm?

im wurm i only need one pickaxe and i can make that pickaxe the best pickaxe for me, and i dont have to waste a thousand materials get get a stat from a random state generator.

i am the stats

instead i would invest my time developing the karma system and the sorcery for pve to encompass these things in a timed manner,

you could use your karma to enchant your items with these types of properties for a very limited time, whichever mechanic you pick weather it be ql/speed/quantity/dmg/ increased rarity chance you would embude the item and have to make use of it and that time as it tics down even when your offline.

along with more newb friendly ways of gaining karma this would put activity in the hands of new players, as well it could make karma a commodity and the world more competitive, i would also introduce more pve friendly missions/events to make us come together, alot of things would be put in the hands of free players to make money, but they would still have to spend the time and work for it, higher levels would go into sorcery then and require premium account but hopefuly pve sourcery can be fun and versatile and non character gimping as the current pvp oriented version is seen to be.

• Like 2

I do have an idea. 

Let's make a new item, say.. improvement orbs. 

Lore of the orbs:

These magical orbs are the magic essences of the Valrei spirits, bestowed upon wurm lands when a God converse with them.

How to get orbs:

Hook it to various activities that is not about creating tools. Maybe dig, forage, botanize, hunting, fishing... These skills have different % of which kind of orbs they will 'produce'. The rarity of these orbs to be produced should be somewhere similar or half of getting gems from mining.

How to use the orbs:

Tools can be 'forged' by orbs. The number of orbs can be forged in depending on its rarity and quality, say... 1 orb per ql, add +10 orbs for rarity. Forging orbs in have 25% success regardless skills and it is attached one by one like improving.

What does the orbs do:

Various things can be implemented. Could play with sort of alchemy system where orbs type % will give different results. Or just add small bonus of things like add chance to improve twice at once, multiply the power of casts, decrease stamina usage... A single orb do almost nothing.. but 100 of them is useful.

How to remove the orbs:

It can be dispelled. Either create new way / spell to do it or just use dispel for it. Whichever the feature is, the orbs are gone.

Valrei's mission involvement:

Having an event 'God attract X spirit' will increase number of specific orbs produced in that god's domain. 

I would quit the instant the game becomes even more pay-to-win.

I would be more forgiving if it was skill driven.

The day Rolf even CONSIDERS this is the day that I unsubscribe all 4 of my premium accounts. I cannot stress how negative I think the impact would be to Wurm, turning it into a true pay-to-win Maplestory hopeful.

• Like 1

Having +1 to speed or +1 to wear reminds me of World of Warcraft, where you can get a +10 sword, or some silly thing like that. Many Warcraft clones have a system where everything has pluses and benefits to stats and combat. I really dislike that system.

What I do like is the simplicity of Wurm crafting and how it's more realistic. When you make a sword, it's a normal sword with a sharp or dull edge, depending on its quality. Yes, in real life some swords may be faster to swing than others, based on their balance, but I'd rather see different types of swords first, before having any type of +1 stats on it.

You could do the same as rare/supreme/fantastic but get a sort of drumroll other colour and let the item say:

Axe for axample: This axe is more sharp then blablabla or this axe has anusual great pointed axehead

something like that?

-1, as people would end up spamming tools to get the right kind, then clogging the database.

• Like 1

I like the scroll and orb ideas. Something that adds small amounts of bonus to a tool that you get from another part of the game. Maybe you have to loot them off mobs? It would need to be random mobs, so as any mob could drop them, though, if the idea is to give new guys a hand selling tools. You couldn't have all the best ones dropping from trolls or something.

So maybe if you had a single "slot" on an item that you could fit one of these bonuses into, once you did, that was it, no changing it.

The scrolls/orbs could even come in normal/rare/supreme/fantastic varieties, where you can get a little bit more bonus from the increased rarity.

However, I am not sure this would give a new crafter an advantage, it would be more likely that they just sell the scrolls/orbs to the established crafters to put on their already-awesome tools/items to make them even better.

Ive always liked the idea of doing things to encourage gathering the community. the only thing i can think of now that does that on regular events are sermons and pvp fights. Why not have the ability to link with other players to pool your skills together to make items that give a small bonus. this way you wont just have one person benefiting from his mass grind to get something special.

An easy way to do this would be with the title system. For example, the more people showing the title blacksmith together in a certain radius of each other would produce either higher than normal ql items or that small random bonus that makes it more unique than beneficial.

The developers really needs to start thinking about ways to bring people together if they want to build a higher player base.

• Like 1

+1 for making crafting more diverse, -1 for making it via an object.

This idea could very well be coupled up with some sort of master class, which would work similar to affinities.
So the way it would work is that you get to choose 1 skill which you want to be a master in, the only difference between non master and master would be, say a 5-10% chance of creating something special. Nothing overpowered, just something that adds a little flavour to the game. 

This could be like a +1 to combat rating, a 5% skillgain, +1 defense rating, 5% higher chance of getting gems when mining etc..

Choosing mastery becomes available at around 50-60 skill level, and once you choose it you can't change it for a set amount of time. 3 months or more imo. 

Could make it so, if you don't have a mastery class yet, you have a small chance of getting the option when you use your skill above the set limit. Or you can find someone who's already a master in it, and get them to 'teach' it to you. 

Details needs some work obviously. 

Edited by Guruen
  • Like 1

+1 for making crafting more diverse, -1 for making it via an object.

This idea could very well be coupled up with some sort of master class, which would work similar to affinities.

So the way it would work is that you get to choose 1 skill which you want to be a master in, the only difference between non master and master would be, say a 5-10% chance of creating something special. Nothing overpowered, just something that adds a little flavour to the game. 

This could be like a +1 to combat rating, a 5% skillgain, +1 defense rating, 5% higher chance of getting gems when mining etc..

Choosing mastery becomes available at around 50-60 skill level, and once you choose it you can't change it for a set amount of time. 3 months or more imo. 

Could make it so, if you don't have a mastery class yet, you have a small chance of getting the option when you use your skill above the set limit. Or you can find someone who's already a master in it, and get them to 'teach' it to you. 

Details needs some work obviously. 

This is good, and kinda aims where I aimed with my post, excluding the master class. I personally play Wurm because there is nothing capping anything that I do, now if something can go higher than others, it takes away slightly that "sandbox" feel to the game. 

Then again, if you want to have that mastery feel, you could somewhat follow Ultima Online (yet again) and its foot prints, by combining best of both worlds: "Ancient scrolls" or "Ancient literature" that increase your QL cap that you can create. Thus still keeping the sandbox feeling by not masterizing(how do you spell that?) in one thing for a life time, but for all of them over time and dedication. 

And the "buffs" or "enhancements" that you get, don't have to be so literal, they will have the effect, but in a way that fits wurm and its era. The prefix / suffix system on the names, like "Fleet Huge Axe", which would have a slightly reduced swing timer.

The day Rolf even CONSIDERS this is the day that I unsubscribe all 4 of my premium accounts. I cannot stress how negative I think the impact would be to Wurm, turning it into a true pay-to-win Maplestory hopeful.

5% skillbonus on butchering knife gonna make ya quit?

Affinities give 50% bonus [at maxium] yet no1 complains

pay2win

- what are we winning in freedom?

it's freedom and everyone sets their own goals, there is nothing to be 'won'

Edited by silakka

pay2win

If someone even remotely mentions "Cash shop" or anything relative, people are going to instantly think of Pay-to-win. And no, i'm not gonna pay 5€ for a 5% increase in a skill (which I would imagine the price being, considering all the other games i've seen cash shops in).

If this were to ever happen I wouldn't consider Wurm or its team a "player driven community" anymore, more like a "lets rob all the stupid people of all their money", a prime example of this: Rappelz or Gpotato in general.

TL;DR: Any cash shop / real money purchasable items / buffs / anything idea would ruin the game and its principals altogether, the coins I can deal with as its being balanced with people buing more silvers into the game and deeds taking them out.

Edited by lithi

Ive always liked the idea of doing things to encourage gathering the community. the only thing i can think of now that does that on regular events are sermons and pvp fights. Why not have the ability to link with other players to pool your skills together to make items that give a small bonus. this way you wont just have one person benefiting from his mass grind to get something special.

An easy way to do this would be with the title system. For example, the more people showing the title blacksmith together in a certain radius of each other would produce either higher than normal ql items or that small random bonus that makes it more unique than beneficial.

The developers really needs to start thinking about ways to bring people together if they want to build a higher player base.

I like these ideas. Deserves its own suggestion thread, IMO. Whether it's in the form of imping a little faster, failing to imp a little less often, or anything like that, I like this. Maybe even just, 'being in the presence of someone at least 10 levels above you in your profession' would impart a guidance bonus, or something. (less failures or slightly more skillgain or w.e)

pay2win

No. 5% bonus, 50% bonus, 500% bonus on butchering knife isn't going to make me quit.

PAYING real money, for a scroll to get 5% bonus, will.

Why does noone complain about affinities? Because they aren't a cash shop item.

What are you winning in freedom? Many people want to have the best looking house, or they want to have the highest skills of their friends, or the most titles. Maybe you want a competitive edge on Chaos in pvp. Maybe you want to have the highest trait horses in your area (5% skillgain grooming brush would help with this). There are many things to 'win', if your goal is to win something. There's no objective set by the game itself for you to win on freedom, no.

Edited by Arronicus

If each item had a finite cap of alternate advancement "traits" that could be done to lighten, increase weight, sharpen, reinforce, etc that could be done by a skilled crafter in that field (thinking 50+ in whatever skill to unlock options) you could add variety pretty easily. It would need to be that not every item could have all traits because obviously then it would become expected to have all traits.

Example 1: Longsword crafted with "weight reduction" ~~ -30% weight

Example 2: Longsword crafted with "extra sharp" ~~ + _  damage

Example 3: Longsword crafted with "hardened blade" ~~ -25% damage from use

and so on

Edited by Elen

More variety of items is what is needed.  You can't tell people from outside that in Wurm only 3 types of swords exist... in total.  High skilled crafters should be able to craft more types.

And what I also really want for the crafting system is that the max QL of an item is limited by the skill of the original crafter, so that the name of the item really counts for something, but I know I won't get anywhere with that with the rest of the community :(