Sign in to follow this  
Geddingwood

Dissatisfaction with Update [sorry :(]

Don't get me wrong, because I do indeed love this game.  But I'm a bit dissatisfied with the update, because the update pics showed all this new stuff, making me want the new stuff, and then I logged on when the servers finally came back up to find that I had the skill to make maybe one of the new items.  It bothers me that you advertise things for updates without noting what skills and skill levels will be needed to make them, because that just means that only the elite players get to make the new things.  I was really looking forward to making a wagon and some crates - and I found that my 51 carpentry and 16 fine carp, while enough to build a 6 story house, is not enough to make a box or a box with a sheet on wheels.  Since the update I've been grinding all day every day and I'm only to 56 carp and 33 FC. It's getting really boring sitting there imping rope tools all day.  I generally like this game's slowness, but not when it's dragging out an activity that I'd rather not be doing at all.  Please, in the future, when you make people drool with pics of new things, attach a skill and a skill level to EVERY pic so I know what I'll need to make it.  I'm in the middle of a road project on Deli which has now been on hold for over a week because I'm trying to work up the skill on FC, which is SUPER slow and time-consuming.    I would have preferred to know about the skill reqs ahead of time so I could do the grinding BEFORE the update.

TL;DR:  Please include skill req names and levels with every pic of a new item in future updates.  It's not fair to tease me with all this new stuff that I can't make without weeks of grinding some skill.

• Like 4

And to be honest, my time in Wurm is dwindling as a result of having to do the same thing all day every day for a week.  Not my idea of fun.

If there weren't requirements for building these items, it would make the old ones much more obselete.

The wagon is the best way to transport goods over land. If it wasn't difficult to make, I'd be annoyed.

Like I said, the reqs aren't the problem.  It's the fact that the devs (as far as I know) didn't post in the update post what skills would be required for what.  So instead of being able to grind ahead of time, I have to put everything else on hold for weeks to grind after the update.

Like I said, the reqs aren't the problem.  It's the fact that the devs (as far as I know) didn't post in the update post what skills would be required for what.  So instead of being able to grind ahead of time, I have to put everything else on hold for weeks to grind after the update.

They did say you'd need 40 FC for a wagon... 

I found that my 51 carpentry and 16 fine carp, while enough to build a 6 story house, is not enough to make a box or a box with a sheet on wheels

Nicely put :) 

I'd agree with the OP that the requirements probably should have been more obvious from the outset but I would add that I think the FC skill requirement is set way too high and even when you have those skills the failure rate for attaching a high ql plank is just ridiculous

A final point, whilst I like the grindy nature of Wurm, I don't see why we should assume that EVERY skill that is worthwhile should automatically need to be a painfully slow process for people to enjoy Wurm.

• Like 2

The information that wagons would require 40 fine carpentry has been available for months.   And while large crates need high carpentry, small crates have no requirements.

Requirements have never been given out by the devs all information in the wiki was developed from player interaction with the game.   Why would the devs suddenly need to start giving out information?   When you first joined the game would you have even joined if you were required to read all the information on the wiki?   Although, there are just a few new items, still the cumulative knowledge requirements would mean having to provide all game information from the earliest til the latest which no one would read and for those that aren't playing having to follow all new news and developments in order to be prepared for new things since they last played.  This is already accomplished if you read through the forums.  Not sure how the devs are at fault for you not doing due diligence.

Go Epic get  skills faster !!!

Edited by vill

There's a lot of things to be dissatisfied, but what you're complainign about isn't one of them.

If you read the posts instead of just looking at the pictures, you'd read FROM THE BEGGINING that they said Wagons would be 40 FC.

They also said that Crates would have a high-ish requirement, and shouldn't be readily available. Its all there on the original announcements, just read.

40fc is easy..>_> anything below 50 is. I think they make the requirment 40 is so people don't quickly chow down all the updates in few days... think of it if this is normal mmo.. you supposed to take 2 months to finish those dungeons :P .

In any case.. buying them from your neighbors also possible. PS:  don't forget mind logic requirement to command it!

Edited by rosedragon

To be honest, 40 Fine Carpentry is rather easy to get. Just spend a few hours imping a handful of barrels and you'll have it.

• Like 2

There's a lot of things to be dissatisfied, but what you're complainign about isn't one of them.

If you read the posts instead of just looking at the pictures, you'd read FROM THE BEGGINING that they said Wagons would be 40 FC.

They also said that Crates would have a high-ish requirement, and shouldn't be readily available. Its all there on the original announcements, just read.

Er, he is just voicing his opinion, relax!

For the record, there is no mention of any special requirments in the 'marketing' post here:-  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/95555-countdown-to-12-full-list-of-features/

don't forget mind logic requirement to command it!

Good point :)

They said (and players also) many times over the months that it would require 40 FC for them, now as for the other things, i'm not sure about myself as I didn't really care and didn't keep up with them. but I can definitely say the wagons we're mentioned. :)

Only thing i'm a bit saddened at is wagons not requiring a bit higher ML, BUT I'm fine with that, because it allows more new players to transport more bulk goods, so...

And to be honest, my time in Wurm is dwindling as a result of having to do the same thing all day every day for a week.  Not my idea of fun.

then think so happy the older players been now when they got something new to do ...they have had same stuff longer then you

Just because it's been mentioned in the forums previously is no excuse not to include it in the official post. Some people don't have the time to track back changes through every dev that's posted about it to find out what's happened

Edited by meiyeeer

Just be like there's this guy who sits on his deed all day long just within local of you who got all this fine carpentry and stuff, yeah? Ask him to help out building a wagon

>http://youtu.be/XdofmoYcJNE

Let me play you a song

GET BACK TO WORK

Edited by Radni
  • Like 1

just grind it, doesnt take long at all. new stuff is meant to be at higher levels and tough for a reason. To prevent spammage everywhere, to give people something to work towards. i have 40 fc 72 carp. that wagon as tough to build but i loved making it as it actually took a fair bit of effort

Er, he is just voicing his opinion, relax!

For the record, there is no mention of any special requirments in the 'marketing' post here:-  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/95555-countdown-to-12-full-list-of-features/

You are letting facts get in their way Solmark. Why require the Dev team to actually document properly, when they can rely on the witless masses and trolls in these forums to half ass their job?

Imagine the nerve of these players asking for information, instead of sifting through the endless detritus that is the forums.

• Like 2

I have to respectfully disagree with the complaint. We need things that are higher dificulty to make. Not everything should be available right off the bat. Those hard to make items are little rewards for those who have taken the time to raise their skills.

Wurm is a skill based game. It doesn't have an end-game, per say, so it needs challenges to keep people interested. If everything was available right off the bat, many players would just do it and quit. Instead, this makes them stay around with goals in mind and in the process they discover more about this game.

I realize that some of your frustration comes from the fact that you didn't know that the new toys would be beyond your current level. I can appreciate your position. But the fact that there is skill grinding in Wurm based on curent mechanics means that - perhaps for the first time in gaming history - we have a game where not everyone is good at everything. Some people master a decent number of skills, granted, but no one has it all. This creates a community. It what keeps me so interested in this game.

I agree with some of what Geddingwood says in OP.... the Wagons I think should be hard to make, but it's the other point Geddingwood brought out I speak of...

Since it can be time consuming to go back through several posts trying to glean out details such as someone mentioning that wagons would need 40 FC.... why not include this information with posts such as "Wurm 1.2 Upcoming Changes"? Not everyone has time to do this kind of search and watching for info.

Put the skills needed for the new content planned with the pics and summary of that new content. Inform the Players from the outset instead of making Players spend time to browse the forums hoping to get these details. After doing a great job on the Posts outlining the new content it wouldn't be that much more to include the Skills info or at least add the info into the thread immediately following it.

I believe this would fall under "insufficient documentation" that some of us have been complaining about around here for a while now... this is a good example.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

There was an announcement long before the update that the wagon will need 40 FC. Us normal people, grinded the skill a week before the update to be ready for it. It's your problem you didn't plan ahead, not the staff's decision about the new items requirements.

Was this info about 40FC needed for Wagons in the big shiny "Countdown to 1.2, Full List of Features" post?

Nope. That's where is should have been. That's where it could have been, but the opportunity to inform the Players was lost. In that post should have been the minimum skills required for all the new content, right all with the pics and great descriptions.

As far as this announcement... where? I lurk on the forums frequently and I didn't see it.

Edited by Kyrmius