Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Champion points for conquering

' decay 10 times slower for now instead'

Its temporary until a more sufficient system is made.

temporary in wurm means usually 5 months to a year....

EDIT:look at dem bridges....

Edited by shankiest
  • Like 1

Until PVP is fixed, the champion system will also be broken no matter what changes are made. May I suggest that Rolf goes back and looks at the 'easy pvp fruits' thread (The one he actually started) and starts to make real efforts to improve the combat system.

Some good suggestions in this thread. My feeling is that the point system will never work. The old champ system where you were perma dead after 3 deaths may be a bit steep but I don't think simply not being able to rechamp ever again is enough.

Maybe some random weakness like the sorcery thing on epic on top of the other stat losses?

Champing is a massive bonus in pvp and casting right now. There needs to be a massive penalty when you fail your god, but I agree perma death is a bit harsh...

Points prevent champs sitting on deed never pvping, permanent free cast machines. That was the original reason for changing so any "fix" should also address that.

The point system will get abused no matter what, go back to the old system of perma death.

Of course any current champs should get the option to drop if this were to be implemented.

I think completely removing the point system would result in champs going into hiding if they end up low on points.removing champ point gains from battle camps and increasing the time it takes to decay is a good start. Lets work with minor changes first and see how it goes.

temporary in wurm means usually 5 months to a year....

EDIT:look at dem bridges....

5 months to a year?   Are you new to wurm?  I mean how many years were multistory houses due soon?   Even now they aren't really multiple story, just a work around to appear to be multi-story

I think the single-life idea works, as long as they lose some sort of skills (the 1 point stat loss is fine I suppose, as well as de-priesting), but also limit them to champing to once a year or something.

Perhaps have huge negative impacts on those champions who sit in caves for casting. They have to kill someone once every two weeks in order to reset the negative influences?

Edited by Xallo

Perhaps have huge negative impacts on those champions who sit in caves for casting. They have to kill someone once every two weeks in order to reset the negative influences?

They could kill an alt to reset that. need another solution but i like the idea of having to do something to revert the negative influence.

I think it would be better to have the 3 lives then you permadie rule come back but instead of permadeath you are unable to champ again for a very long time; I don't really agree with never being able to champ again because to an extent I can see that as 'ruining' an account if someone else in the future buys it and wants to champ or whatever but there should be a minimum 3 year CD between it. Maybe even 5 year.

The points system is silly because it does not work as intended; especially on Chaos it does not really encourage champions to PvP because it's much easier to cap towers or battle camps.

How about if they never leave deed Xallo? How will they die? Log out when enemy hits local, game over, never die. So each kingdom would effectively have a perma casting champ.

• Like 1

How about just losing your champion status after dieing?

You don't have to worry about time and getting points anymore which is good for the champion and the enemy can focus on the champion to make him lose his status.

• Like 1

They could kill an alt to reset that. need another solution but i like the idea of having to do something to revert the negative influence.

that is in fact.. bannable.. so0o0o0o

• Like 1

that is in fact.. bannable.. so0o0o0o

yea if you kill alts w/ fs or drain a deed you/your firneds set up w/ 5 guards, thats against the rules and people have gotten banned for it, hopefully it would be the same way with a different system

How about just losing your champion status after dieing?

You don't have to worry about time and getting points anymore which is good for the champion and the enemy can focus on the champion to make him lose his status.

What if he never leaves deed? Free champ for life?

When dechamping why is faith nerfed down to 50 and not reset to where it was before? As far as I know, this is how Channeling works. 

It just means that a fairly new priest who has only just reached 50 faith is punished less upon dechamping than a long-term priest who was at 90+ faith before he champed.

I don't understand why someone who has spent more time on their account is punished more than someone who's only been a priest for a couple of months in order to champ. 

• Like 7

I'll just give my thoughts, as someone who has never really been involved in Champing. These are all separate thoughts so take it for what you will. 

Champions are a title of prestige with benefits. As such, much like the Leader title, it should be able to be challenge in combat. After all, the intention is for them to PvP, and I think a god would be given pause of their champion didn't show up to defend his/her title.

If the general will of the Kingdom is given control, then there's no reason to have it removed by a sort of 'time out' such as point decay. Just like Kings can be asked to step down or challenged, so too should Champions.

Personally, I feel the characteristic hit is a bit unneeded. Reverting the bonuses should be enough. The reason I give for this is twofold.

First, I personally think a player being punished for a decision about his own character's development is discouraging. That's not to say everyone agrees, but I've told people about this game and the first thing I get is "Oh, so if I work hard and raise my stats, I can be a champion?" And then I have to follow up with "Yeah, but you'll probably lose it at some point and in the end the set back will be much more than the gain".

Second, an increase in your stats will make them harder to level. If you revert the effects after the fact, one has essentially lost some of the gains they would have got. Imagine having something like Weapon Smithing boosted up to 90 from 20. Sure you can grind it to 95, but once it's reverted you're only at 25, and it would have been much faster to grind it without the boost.

Finally, Dechamping. I think this best takes the form of Stepping down or three in combat deaths (I would have failed challenges apply to this as well). I'm personally good with a year of no rechamping, never rechamping, OR an item from Valrei that resets the ability to champ (Or if you want some money, sell it for a gold).

Thanks for taking the time,

Enzius

• Like 3

When dechamping why is faith nerfed down to 50 and not reset to where it was before? As far as I know, this is how Channeling works. 

It just means that a fairly new priest who has only just reached 50 faith is punished less upon dechamping than a long-term priest who was at 90+ faith before he champed.

I don't understand why someone who has spent more time on their account is punished more than someone who's only been a priest for a couple of months in order to champ. 

I agree. It's pretty funny because we have people who have 90+ faith who won't champ because their faith will be obliterated. Shouldn't the most devout followers be the ones to become champion? I don't know. Channeling is indeed reset:

[2013-06-11] [13:23:37] Channeling increased by 46.8 to 80.000

[2013-08-24] [15:42:59] Channeling decreased by 47.3 to 33.151

I also think the points system is rather flawed. Oftentimes champions scare people into cowering into deeds so that they won't feed points, and the only real alternative is to sit at someone's front door until they get an army to chase you away, or you conquer camps. Many people also hold a flawed view of champions as godlike creatures who can't be killed, so they don't fight. In this way, champions can actually reduce PvP instead of encourage it. Wurm, in my view, simply doesn't have the population to sustain a points system at the current rate without static objects like battlecamps feeding points.

Currently, champions received an enormous loss of skillgain (around 9/10 is lost) if they don't visit enemy territory for three? days. However, this is easily negated by running onto the edge of enemy land and scampering off immediately. It would be interesting to turn this into a system where this is based off of PvP kills instead of being in enemy territory, so that champions lose skillgain and/or temporarily lose champion bonuses until they kill someone. This would hopefully stop casting champions while also encouraging players to attack a weakened champion who they know has not have gotten a kill in the last X days. This could be accompanied with the three-strike rule and make things interesting, in my opinion.  I don't know, just throwing ideas around.

Edited by Aflacduck

Not surprised MR got this done. Now with 10x decay they are just perma champ all year. lol.

"we conquered every tower now they wont conquer them back"

Good play.

Not surprised MR got this done. Now with 10x decay they are just perma champ all year. lol.

"we conquered every tower now they wont conquer them back"

Good play.

gotem

• Like 3

You guys are worse than the old JK power structure ever was tbh.

The recurring scenario I have seen are champs being forced to cap towers and battle camps because of the point system and the best way for enemies to dechamp someone is to sit on deed and wait for that system to wear them out.

With this new system I predict the reverse happening. The only way to dechamp someone will be to kill them so now the champ will be the one sitting on deed crafting and enchanting and only showing up for zerg pvp.

Edited by Morrowen