Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Proposing new skill: Musician [Added Poll by request]

Bards for Wurm!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see bards in Wurm?

• Hell yeah, I'll travel the world and sooth souls with my phat beats.
    • Mmmmm, no.
    • I'm undecided, could be good, could be bad, I'll remain neutral on the topic.

Always wanted to wander the streets being traveling piper?  Long to play a terrifying drumbeat during a pvp encounter?  Wish to liven up those sermons?  What about some music to go with those funny puppet shows?  Or what about just some fun when friends visit?  Music, that's what we need.... What I propose is to add several new skills and of course new items that utilize them as well as existing skills..  I'll try my best to outline each point so please bear with me.

Musician skill

• This is the overall skill for Music, it determines (with the usual randomness and subskills factoring) the lentgh of melodies you are able to play as well as how well you play them.  This skill has more direct control over these then the instrument subskills.

Instrument subskills

• There should one skill for each craftable and playable instrument.  Lute, Ocarina, Harp, and perhaps Trumpet?  I'm sure many know of other instruments that'd fit wurm well.  This subskill will determine, along with musician skill, how well you play as well as how long you can play.  A higher instrument and musician skill would allow you to play longer compositions and lessen the chance you hit wrong chords, notes, octaves, etc.

Composing

• Papyrus is far to useless in it's current state for the simple fact there's just no reason to use it.  Why not use papyrus sheets to compose songs?  A composition interface window could be created, and when you drag a papyrus sheet to it, you are able to plot notes and other song writing related stuff to compose a melody.  Once you have the song to your liking, you create a Sheet of Music.

Sheet of Music

• Once you've composed your melody, activate your instrument of choice and right click a Sheet of Music to play it.  Imagine being able to buy/sell/trade your compositions ingame and via the forums here.

Instruments

• Wood based instruments would use fine carpentry to create and repair, an ocarina would use pottery, Trumpets, horns, and harps would use brass.  Maybe add in a primitive horn of sorts that uses unicorn horns lol?  Higher quality instruments take less dmg from use, similar to fishing rods in use.

Playing music

• Playing instruments should increase some sort of body stat; however, I'll leave it up to the staff to determine that should this ever be implemented.  Furthermore, you need to stand still in order to play, moving will interrupt it.  Riding in any sort of vehicle be it carts or boats should NOT interrupt play.  We need something to make those 6 hour boat rides bearable!  Instruments should take dmg from use, much like fishing rods.

In short, music is a key to our world.  It ties everyone together, everyone.  There are a small handful of games that allow creating and playing of custom music.  This brings us something fun and that anyone can enjoy, not just the elite or veterans.  Music festivals at the impalongs anyone?

So, what are your thoughts on this or do you think it would benefit wurm to create this feature?

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 14

Big +1, I remember the mmo Mabinogi, music and melodies were just as big a part of the game as skills and leveling.  This would really enhance wurm and make it stand out.  I don't know of a single other sandbox mmo that has player made music.

Always deserves a +1, oddly enough I think this was one of my first suggestions for wurm but this version is much better written!

• Like 1

It's a cute idea that I'd love to see implemented, however I'm pretty certain the novelty will wear off quickly and the whole thing will be somewhat meaningless. I can only speak for myself but I've gotten the impression that a very large portion of players play with sound off. Even if that isn't the case, that might be the reality if you give people the ability to at will play back to others what might be music or just an unpleasant facekeyboard of notes. If we wanted to replace background media players or web radio stations with in-game music now would seem to be a pretty late time for doing so...

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

It's a cute idea that I'd love to see implemented, however I'm pretty certain the novelty will wear off quickly and the whole thing will be somewhat meaningless. I can only speak for myself but I've gotten the impression that a very large portion of players play with sound off. Even if that isn't the case, that might be the reality if you give people the ability to at will play back to others what might be music or just an unpleasant facekeyboard of notes. If we wanted to replace background media players or web radio stations with in-game music now would seem to be a pretty late time for doing so...

That is very true, it's got positives and negatives.  Sadly some would abuse such a mechanic.

For myself, I play with music and sounds on.. I just never actually hear any music lol.

Edited by Nomadikhan

+1

Can add a lot to the atmosphere of the game, when you know the music being played is coming from another player.

Downside:

Noobs with a slide-whistle make for very effective trolls.

Big +1, I remember the mmo Mabinogi, music and melodies were just as big a part of the game as skills and leveling.  This would really enhance wurm and make it stand out.  I don't know of a single other sandbox mmo that has player made music.

Minecraft. Before anyone says that it isn't an MMO, there are a few dozen servers that have over 200 players online at a time.

A great idea. It has been suggested before, although perhaps not in such detail. I think this would be a lot of work to implement, but it could definitely be fun to have!

+1, but no need to put player-made music.  Just a couple of songs with multi track for different instruments, so if two or more musicians get together, they could sort of sync to play the same song. (like The Sims ).

Buff or not, it would be a nice addition to the social side of wurm.

+100

Imagine how alive the world would become with customizable musicians. Don't make it a skill. You shouldn't have to grind for this.

+100

Imagine how alive the world would become with customizable musicians. Don't make it a skill. You shouldn't have to grind for this.

Make it a skill, but only to show exp tics if nothing else (it's addicting to watch exp...)

Edit: though I would rather grind for it personally. Obviously you should be able to do it all from the start but maybe have higher skill make it...idk, maybe make it so the highest skill playing leads the group? (Saying there is a group doing it, of course)

Edited by Druidnature

+1

Oh this would be lovely indeed! And I love how well planned out your suggestion is. Looks good! 

One of the things that left me so impressed about Lord of the Rings Online was the fact that you could play any melody you liked on instruments using the keyboard. That was actually the only thing that impressed me haha so didn't play too much of it. Here you can see a guy demonstrate the system. He's super good too!

http://youtu.be/XP9sI5Q-m8s

There was only one thing I didn't like about their system, and that was people playing modern day songs like Britney Spears melodies. It just ruined the immersion :(

Another way to do it is like they do in Ultima Online. Have a ready created melody that ensures that the melody suits the theme of the game. People with very little skill play the melody in a crappy way, those who are grand master (100.0 skill points) play the melody perfectly and everything in between.

The only problem was that there was just this one single melody and the only differences were which instrument it was being played on. One got tired of the melody pretty darn fast. So for this to be enjoyable, there would definitely have to be a nice big selection of melodies to choose from. Perhaps you could use the "Composing skill" that you describe to discover new predefined songs. If you had very high skill, perhaps a chance to learn "rare" long forgotten legendary songs :).

But yeah, your basic plan is great as it is, just wanted to throw a few ideas in the mix.

Edited by Malena

To clarify the there are a few reasons I'd like to see it as a skill.

• Having to grind it , whether it's hard or not, keeps noobs and trolls limited somewhat.
  • Actually gives us something to do, your skill will go up as you tinker with it and make the perfect melodies.
  • If it's done right, it'll be fun to the point it won't be a grind to get the skill up, it'll happen easily over time.

Also, the big reason I want song composing to utilize papyrus to make Sheets of Music is so that players can buy/sell/trade music to one another.

• Like 1

+mabinogi

Yes please, I still play the living banana's out of this game, and i've been wanting to switch to Starlet (Bard, Healing.) For the longest time. :P I dunno, i would feel more 'forced' too if Wurm had it.

I don't know of a single other sandbox mmo that has player made music.

Lotro. Not sandbox but playermade by keys or midi playback, with lots of different insturments. Downside is how Malena pointed out that people play modern songs or will just spam and troll the coconuts out of you.

• Like 2

Let players to mute other person's music ?

Annoying spams solved(?)