Sign in to follow this  
Malena

A solution to get rid of abandoned ships on deed

Since boats cannot be salvaged anymore, we are left with the following scenarios if there is an abandoned boat on our deed that we wish to get rid of:

1. If boat is not moored - drag it elsewhere - problem solved!

2. If boat is moored and obstructs construction - request GM help to move it 

3. If boat is moored and does not obstruct construction but simply blocks your nice view - THAT'S TOO BAD. A GM will not move it.

4. Go to the trouble of using days, even weeks to raise land and build something just so you can tell a GM "the boat is in the way" even though you intend to tear it all down once the boat is out of the way. (this is probably the most common way people handle this issue and surely the system is flawed if people have to resort to this method?)

How about people who have never had to deal with this issue prior, especially new players have no idea that they will most likely be stuck with any abandoned ships that happen to be on the deed they place. Is it fair? And for those who are the wiser and know they'll be stuck with the ships, they will lose out on getting a perfectly lovely deed plot just because some old ships are parked on the area. 

PROPOSAL: After one month's inactivity for a boat, accelerate it's decay rate considerably if it's parked on a deed which has a different owner.

• This would allow people to be parked safely for some time at markets or at a friends place since one month is a more than a generous time for them to fetch their boat.
  • This would free up CA and GMs from having to deal with these abandoned boat tickets.
  • This would allow deed owners a possibility to get rid of these eyesore boats which are ruining their deed without having to resort to the silly option 4. above.
  • Obviously any boats belonging to the deed owner, or villagers of the deed would not be affected from the above mechanic (this could include friends of the deed owner as well)
Edited by Malena
  • Like 8

+1

And actually more decay to vehicles would help reducing the clutters of too many unused vehicles everywhere and make shipbuilders happy.

• Like 1

+1 for methods of ridding your own deed from long-unused boats. Though personally I would prefer limited drag/push permissions as opposed to outright destruction of property.

• Like 2

+1 for methods of ridding your own deed from long-unused boats. Though personally I would prefer limited drag/push permissions as opposed to outright destruction of property.

I agree,  life happens and people may unexpectedly be gone for months at a time. 

The 30 day check is a good idea, and works well with buildings currently. With ownership being identified on ships and large carts and stuff, this shouldn't be too hard to make happen.

Although, I don't think the check should start when the player disembarks the boat. The check should be 30 days of character inactivity on the server.

+1

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 1

+1 The coasts are full of rotting ships. Speeding up the process is a good idea.

Yes if deed owners had the possibility to move/drag other people's moored boats off of their deed, that'd work for me as well. At least it would give the deed owner -some- way to deal with it. 

it should accelerate decay after one month of not logging in regardless of where it's at.  Chaos gets around this for stolen boats as enemies mounting it will transfer ownership to themselves.  So there is really no downside... don't login, lose your boats.  Simple.

Edited by Nomadikhan

-1 one month is far far too short in real terms. May be if its on deed may be the gms can 'drag it off deed' if its been left for a month. 

if someone is major sick in RL or has a bad problem i.e. having to move and having to have internet reconnected etc or a RL family issue or heck in the UK we've had major flooding that's made some places islands for over a month now, so with no fault and no intention of your own you can very very easily leave for months when you only intended to log off for an hour or an evening. wouldn't it suck if you had to deal with something very major and then come back to relax and have fun and find you lost everything? Honestly I've been too sick or dealing with real life issues for a month or longer before now, heck some people spend that time in hospital regular for certain conditions. 

+1 (but they are only blocking my nice view) 1 month sounds kinda short to me as well but if its only gonna be like "gm moves it a few tiles away" then im defo up for it.

I think we should be very careful about rapidly speeding up decay rates. A month is a very short amount of time. 

And I'm not worried about my friends boat on my shore its some random persons.

In fact that also exclude every one who doesn't live on the shore for even being able to park a boat because the majority of ports are also deeds.

Its not about just us water front owners.

great idea ! i say as i just finished towing someones boat off my deed and still have to watch a rare knarr rot slowly  at least 6 months now 

• Like 1

-1 Bad idea.

I have several boats owned by several alt's. All parked at the alliance harbour wich i dosent own anymore but my boats are still allowed to be there.

i vote NO! to this.

Much moire simple would be to allow deed owners to drag boats even if they moored. That way us who own many boat's wont loose half of them just because people dont like looking at them.

Edited by ShangXiq

Bonegetter: you have a good point about considering people who live inland or do not own deeds but want to own a boat. They should have a place to keep their boats too of course. However I'm not sure if parking one's boat right onto someone else's deed is very nice either - it's a bit inconsiderate towards the person owning the deed as they wanted that waterfront land so they'd have a nice view of the sea and having strangers boats all around is not something they bargained for. So this proposal was and still is very much about decay rate when it's concerning boats which are on someone else's deed. I would suggest that "friend's" boats would also be safe from decay. This way an inlander could simply make a deal with someone who has a shoreline deed and ask if they could part their boat there and keep it safe by becoming friended. That or simply park on wurm owned "wild" land. 

ShangXiq: For people like yourself, the above solution could work. So by being friended with the new owner of your alliance harbour, problem solved.

-1 for increased decay speeds ..

I have lots of friends that leave their boats on my dock. Its a well used dock for alliance and the public.

I spend a bit of time repairing them every month as it is. 

I do however have several abandoned boats on my deed. A right click for mayors, 'move to perimeter' could work, or something similar to that effect. 

Decay of said boat should be based on ql and wood type only, not some i am bored of seeing it idea. Next it will be people colossus and guard towers? Of which a decent boat actually takes longer to build. 

-1 for increased decay speeds ..

I have lots of friends that leave their boats on my dock. Its a well used dock for alliance and the public.

Very good point. As a new player to the game, it's hard for me to understand the viewpoint of any other scenarios other than my own at this point so really good that you brought this up. 

For someone like yourself with a public dock, friending everyone would simply not be an option. So how would this additional setting in the settlement role options float your boat?

parkboat.jpg

• Like 3

If you dont like having boat's at your dock. Move away from the water. That's your solution right there.

I do not wanna mess around adding tons of people to friend list or mess around with settings jsut because some people does not take into consideration that water=boat's.

Don't we have around 30 GMs? Why is it so tough for them to move a boat 20 tiles?

It's not like people are abandoning hundreds of boats a day on other people's deeds.

• Like 1

+1 for deed owner being able to drag a boat off their deed after 30 days of inactivity .  If the the person logs in afterward, they will find their boat at the edge of the deed.

+1 but make it six months

Some ppl use their ships as mobile warehouses, they could be gone from the game for months.

However, you dont need to be premium to access your ships and i think checking back once every 6 months is fair.

Some of those ships have probably been there for years, abandoned, unused and forgotten.