Sign in to follow this  
Jonze

Building materials.

About housebuilding, i got idea to make it a bit more realistic and logistic.
I simply suggest that there would be more (or less) materials per type of wall.

Example:
- arched wall (it's not 70% wall) would only need under 10 planks to finish

- windows would need couple of shafts to finish them, and less planks. 

- doors reguires couple of shafts too, 20planks and two or four (doubledoors) hinges, made from iron.
- normal walls is cool at 20 planks and one large nails.

About stone walls it's same, with bricks of course.

Hinges can go with chests and fence gates too.

• Like 1

I like the hinges, although it would bring some problems with new players as I would imagine not everyone has iron to go with from the get go, or the skills to make them, thus making it a way longer trip to make a safehouse for yourself.

You also need iron to make nails so that's not a big problem for new players.

You also need iron to make nails so that's not a big problem for new players.

On the reality part, I would imagine hinges being somewhat harder to make than nails.

usually a hinge is made with nails (screw the plates in.) too... so really whats the point?

Yeah, but even difference count of planks (and/or add shafts too) would make it more interesting and logistic.

I'm kinda bored with how every wall type takes the same amount of everything. Some change would be good. +1
But maybe a new crude house type would be good for new players to construct? with simple things like planks and nails. Game can be fairly complex at the start........

Edited by AlexLong

I would prefer a selection of textures. Wood would be wood but you can have horizontal or vertical boarding maybe. You know... a barn that looks like a barn and not like your house. And make a log structure. Logs and mortar to construct. Instead of changing materials required, I would much more prefer more diversity in appearances. Another thing I would like to see is a border frame without an arch and a half wall, both upper half and lower half where a fence or rail can still be built on the lower half. 

There's no need for this. Adding hinges into the mix might not be a massive issue considering iron is already required for nails, but it's still a pretty meaningless change at this point. The main reason I prefer all wall material requirements to remain equal however is because it enables you to pick whatever wall types you like when designing your house rather than having to always consider if it's worth sacrificing some solid walls in favor for arched walls just so you can make a few more of them.

The material requirements are very lenient as it is. There is no need to cut off extra corners, and mixing up the material requirements doesn't make the game more exciting, it just makes the process for calculating your total materials requirement more obnoxious. New wall types is what's needed to make construction more exciting.