Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Data For GMS

Whatever is there should have been thought of even before making the game and I think it should be there unless the devs gave forgotten something.

Just imagine how much data is being stored in a database if you log all tiles, like chaos for example:

4096 * 4096 = 16777216 tiles.

now imagine that you store information like this: 1970-10-10 10:59 SomePlayerName 2147483647 255

(short datetime, player name, tile Id(max of int32), action id (max of byte))

this entry should be about 50 bytes in size when stored in database + additional cost for indexing or whatever.

Now you want to store at least like 50 entries for a single tile, since if more people pass the same tile, there's not much use of it if you can't see what happened earlier in time, actually you'd need about 200 entries for a single tile or even more, but let's be optimistic and say we store 50 for short terms. That would mean you'd need to store 50 * 50 * 16777216 = 40 000Mb = 40gb of data in a single table, on live servers you'd need x4 which means you want to store 160Gb of data. But the suggestion offered to store additional info for tile edges, so times 4 that and you end up with 640Gb. Oh and you need this for ALL the servers which makes it a beautiful 4000Gb :D

Oh wait, yet you still need to send that data over the internet, so imagine 2000 people walking around or performing actions, you'd need to send about 50 bytes for each player every second * 2000 = 3Mb/s of traffic just for logging where they went to, not to mention other data floating around. Now in an hour that makes it about 10.5 Gb.

I'd suggest devs should get some better hosting that offers "extra" Terabytes on the database and more traffic for this suggestion :) And in the end you need to back it all up :D

I can't pay for a deed... I can afford premium, but not a deed anylonger, not with the US - Euro exchange rate and the price hikes. This coming month I will be premium again after getting thru another real life winter and my heating bills, but I will never own a deed again. It will be so good to use all my skills again however.

How many other Players are in the same situation now as I am (after the price hikes). How many can no longer afford a deed?

Removing the Legal Enclosure rule removes any reason for me to ever own a home in Wurm again. Without the legal enclosure rule any place I build will be Griefer fodder.

So why go premium at all? If I can't afford premium and a deed, like I used to be able to do, what's the point?

Too many somethings for nothings about these days.

Too many somethings for nothings about these days.

He pays premium. That is hardly nothing. I don't wish to put words in his mouth and he is welcome to correct me if I am wrong, but I think his point is that he has to pay to play then he has to buy a deed that he has to pay to keep and it has become expensive relative to his current life situation. He would like to protect his investment in some way because he does indeed pay something for something. 

My point is, however, exactly as I said it before. The discussion here has been on legal enclosures - basically a free to play protection rule. You either have to minimally protect the free to play player since the game advertises as having limited free play or you remove free play and turn it into a 14 day trial after which you must pay to play. Or maybe premium time should come with a special marker that gives you a 5x5 mini deed that has less features than a settlement form - a homestead vs a village or something with no alliance options, no templar options, no villager options, no mayor bash, and so forth and so on that basically works exactly as the legal enclosure rule but restricts the amount of land that can be claimed and offers no decay protection or such premium luxuries that a settlement form does. That will eliminate the apparently hated legal enclosures while protecting people who don't buy deeds and allowing them to keep a small bit of land minimally protected. Remove free to play, slap on the 14 day trial, then call it a day. The only people left unhappy I guess would be the ones with 10 alts at skill 20.

Actually, I am going to reproduce this in suggestions. The amount of threads over this warrants at least a peek into other options for the team I think.