Sign in to follow this  
Bonegetter

Wurm table top.

Okay this idea is super legit.

I would even be willing to spear head this project:).

I'm talking a Wurm table top rpg. Skilling, mods, terrarforming the whole thing!

Wurm is based off skill increases and probability. Use d10s and set up equations for skill gain.

Have a separate table for failures.

Use a random mob generator correlating with the zone your in. 

Most of the basic book would be descriptions from the wiki.

And the table top doesn't have to have the exact same mechanics as the mmo if rolf doesn't want to give away any secrets or some such.

Mounts could simply allow you to move more tiles per turn ect.

Stamina can determine how much you do in a turn.

I like that! Sounds more like a pen&paper rpg though. Shall we create an irc channel for that? ;)

Table top seems different to me, like a bucket of sand on my table, and tiny shovels and woodchips... not sure I want that indoors ;)

Make it small enough so that when my family finalizes their plan to send me to Wurm Rehab to put an end to my withdrawal symptoms, I can smuggle one of those in with me..

• Like 2

I think it would be alot of fun. hardest part would be creation of tables and formatting the final version. Would need some test play tho.

A lot of Wurms mechanics like the skill tree, inventory, crafting and combat appears very easy to translate into manual dice rolls, but would the general gameplay experience be possible to replicate in any entertaining way? :P

Outside of random mobs and trader Wurm doesn't have NPCs, terraforming is hard to emulate, the repetition in crafting and grinding would have to be done away with somehow and some sort of overarching quest objectives with continual challenges would have to be put up since there aren't a lot of such things driven by the world itself rather than other players aside from artifact hunting. Those challenges aside, it sure sounds interesting.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

I'm glad you did bring up some challenges ill have to think on some solutions.

And I'm interested to hear any feed back or other solutions.

For terriforming i would use 'chucks' or 'zones' of the world.

And then have 3d graph paper x,y,z and then adjust corners and calculate slope of a tile.

As for the repiotion i would have a table of probability system set up if it were me, like i said this would be the most technical part.

NPCS are not a worry and nor are quests imo, Wurm dosnt have those why would the pen and paper RPG?

I wonder if Rolf will go for this whole idea?

I would really hate to roll dice for three minutes trying to make a glove.

On second thought, I already do that...

• Like 1

It's an interesting idea.

It would probably be better to identify what makes Wurm special as a game, rather than just trying to replicate it's mechanics into a table top rpg.

Based on what I understand others like about Wurm, from reading the "Why do you play Wurm?" thread,I would do the following:

I would try to emphasize

• Colonising the wilderness
  • Frontier lifestyle
  • Close knit community
  • Making your mark on the world
  • Relaxing nature of the game

To try and achieve that mechanically I would:

• Make all players part of the same settlement, no rival settlements or pvp to worry about although the wilderness can still be dangerous.
  • Perhaps a starting "class" to determine what tools and skills a player starts with to keep things from being too same-y in the start.
  • Short, mid and long term objectives to work towards as a group.
  • Beneficial player "powers" that can only be used on other players, useful for creating relationships and camaraderie between the characters.

But I may be trying to replicate a different part of Wurm than you are, if terraforming and castle building is more your thing over the personal and social stuff.

Just my two cents as an amateur game designer