Sign in to follow this  
Calisthra

Please modify the cricket sound

I know this is likely something VERY few folks can identify with however...

I often hop on the game for a few minutes here and there while waiting on dock folk to do their thing. The laptop sits nicely on the steering wheel and off I go into the lands of Wurm. For the first day I kept thinking I need to go tighten that [alternator] belt because I would hear the squeal. Rev the motor up a notch or two and it would settle down. When I actually checked it, lo and behold the thing was tight with no sign or excess wear. Then I finally heard that squeal with the engine off and realized the 'problem' was the cricket sound in game and not a diesel maintenance issue!

The sound would only have to be modified to warble a bit rather than the steady squeal. ok, I see you rotflol but hey, I'm new and not the only driver to goof off during downtime.

• Like 1

I don't play with sounds on so I've no idea of what the crickets sound like, but whenever I hear crickets I think of Season 1 of "The walking dead" - Which could be renamed "People trying to talk while crickets/cicadas drown them out".

If it involves crickets it's usually in need of removing them or at least lowering them.

Are you sure it's not the "background buzz" in the sound settings? Try disabling it, to me it sounded a lot like cicadas before I turned it off.

On a quasi-related note, I am always thrown off when I am down by the water, and hear ducks . . . because there are no ducks!  At least, make it frogs or something, something that could be there, but not be overtly visible.  Or, add some ducks, that works too.

In regards to your issue however, you could reduce the volume, use some variation of headphones, so when you have them off the sound will not carry, I'm sure there are tech-ish chaps who could advise you on how to remove, or replace that one audio file.  With luck, the fact you are now aware of the culprit may serve to help you delineate the cricket noise from your alternator.

Hope it stops being a problem for you soon, in any event. 

• Like 2

Oh now that I know it's the game's background noise it's a no-brainer. But before I figured it our there was a moment of uncertainty.

Yeah for ducks! I looked for them too.

I love the ambient sound tracks, (minus the buzz) and often leave an alt logged in while sleeping in a hotel.  The sound is calming, much like the rest of Wurm game play.  Wurm is my down time :)

Heh, the sound of crickets in the background while doing many of the tedious tasks within Wurm would be quite appropriate, which is why your post title brought on a grin when I saw it here. Really this should be the Wurm theme song and perhaps only modified in that manner.

*grins again*

=Ayes=