Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Games to play in the meantime

I play World of Tanks, Dungeon Keeper (1997), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Thief: the Dark Project

Edited by vasisuelle

I am surprised that Banished is a top seller on Steam.  Maybe now he can hire a friend :)

Been playing it since I got up. I'm playing on Hard Mode. (The only mode that lets you decide where you put your own damn barn)

Managed to get 60 people in my village so far without collapsing.

XZFguV1.jpg

I've run into trouble with iron production - using the mine is going far too slow, and I'm running out of tools. I've just started converting people into laborers so I can grab as much surface iron as I can.

Edited by Dairuka

I might actually go outside for a few days...bizzare

About Banished - is it something like Dwarf Fortress (graphics ofcourse not) or more to , say, Civilization or Settlers?

for a quick jittery fix ive been jamming on hellgate global.it'll have you looking for the quarter slot on your pc.

About Banished - is it something like Dwarf Fortress (graphics ofcourse not) or more to , say, Civilization or Settlers?

It'd be a mixture of Settlers, Anno and Dwarf Fortress.

It's unforgiving, and fast expansion is a guaranteed death.

Been playing Banished all morning also. No combat bugs me though...it feels like playing on freedom with the monsters turned off :s

Try real life in the mean time.

Or doing your homework like I should be doing

But I'm posting here instead

• Like 1

Would definitely recommend Dwarf Fortress to all Wurm players.  It attracts the same kind of player.  For those with Minecraft, I'd also recommend the TerraFirmaCraft mod.  

Been playing Banished all morning also. No combat bugs me though...it feels like playing on freedom with the monsters turned off :s

think of it as the next installment of the old sim city games

think of it as the next installment of the old sim city games

Banished is nothing like Simcity.

It's closest cousin would be the Sierra game, Caesar IV - but even then they're second cousins twice removed as there is no technology or combat.

It's a game that stands on it's own as a unique gameplay experience. It's difficult enough that you'll overlook the lack of technology - you'll literally be playing for hours and find yourself going, "Crap, where did the time go?"

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Banished is nothing like Simcity.

It's closest cousin would be the Sierra game, Caesar IV - but even then they're second cousins twice removed as there is no technology or combat.

It's a game that stands on it's own as a unique gameplay experience. It's difficult enough that you'll overlook the lack of technology - you'll literally be playing for hours and find yourself going, "Crap, where did the time go?"

disagree completely.

+ there was no combat in sim city.

This is basically similar to what simville would have been if the game went forward and if it was made in this time era.

disagree completely.

+ there was no combat in sim city.

This is basically similar to what simville would have been if the game went forward and if it was made in this time era.

The only thing the Sim City series and Banished have in common besides the lack of combat, is that they both belong to the City Builder genre.

There is no fiscal economy, there is no taxation, there are no income/expenditure spreadsheets, there is no policing.

Instead, Banished is most similar to Caesar IV and Children of the Nile because the economy is trade based, "technology" is based off of difficult to gather resources rather than research, trade is done periodically, the most dangerous disasters are fire/disease and resource depletion is a thing. The real challenge comes from micro-managing your citizens' jobs.

Again, if I had to describe it, I'd describe it as this:

It'd be a mixture of Settlers, Anno and Dwarf Fortress.

It's unforgiving, and fast expansion is a guaranteed death.

Edited by Dairuka

Banished is extremely similar to Anno 1404, with simplified trading... that being said, it's awesome.

The only thing the Sim City series and Banished have in common, is that they both belong to the City Builder genre.

There is no fiscal economy, there is no taxation, there are no income/expenditure spreadsheets, there is no policing.

Instead, Banished is most similar to Caesar IV and Children of the Nile because the economy is trade based, "technology" is based off of difficult to gather resources rather than research, trade is done periodically, the most dangerous disasters are fire and disease and resource depletion is a thing.

There is also no combat.

I am not sure who would think that a city building game should have combat.I am sure they are out there but I have never played a city building game with combat. I have however played RTS games with combat but this is not an RTS

Instead, Banished is most similar to Caesar IV and Children of the Nile

I stopped to read there and clicked on 'buy'. Thank you!

I play  "Kerbal Space Program"  it's a GREAT space building and sort of flight sim - build your own rockets...fly to moons and other planets and build bases and stuff.

and also  "7 Days to Die"  the best zombie survial game out atm....solo play is just GREAT  and multiplayer is even better.....you want The Walking Dead in a game with the crafting of Minecraft (only with WAY better graphics) ? ....then this is the game for you.

:)

Minecraft with some mods and Rust is a good mix for me :)