Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Update concerning DDoS attack and Downtime. Updated 18:20 CET February 20th

Heh, just found this article http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/knocked-offline-by-ddos-game-site-promises-13000-for-perps-conviction/

This ddos turns out to be quite a positive thngie - a new hosting and a good chunk of PR :)

Btw, there recently was an article about Wurm on a top russian geek site - http://habrahabr.ru/post/212933/

So, does Wurm get famous?

Agreed. It seems to be everywhere right now.

Found a short one on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-19-wurm-online-dev-offering-10k-reward-for-info-on-ddos-attack

And another on Massively: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/19/wurm-online-still-offline-offers-bounty-for-ddos-attacker/

I think the bounty surprised a lot of the gaming sites. Good move on Rolf's part IMO. :D

EDIT:

There is a loooooot of articles about it: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=wurm+ddos+bounty

Edited by syncaidius

I think it makes more sense hosting in Germany than in Sweden as network connectivity in that region is much more abundant and higher quality however one concern I have is are we just going for faster servers or is there going to be some sort of ddos protection too? Doesn't matter how insane the server is if the network connectivity to it is overloaded.

Also is a secondary login server, or ability to login to existing characters when login is down (maybe with some restrictions like no bank / password changes / purchases) something you guys are looking at? From what I see the main issue is that the login server is the focus of these attacks because once the login server is down the other 12 servers are rendered completely useless. It's all well and good to have Wurm's population spread out over 12 servers for redundancy but if all it takes is one of them failing to knock them all out it's kinda pointless.

• Like 2

Login i believe is somewhere in rolfs basement.. thats because.. you really dont wanna give all login infos to someone else :P

yep, for sure Redi, but - passwords are surely encrypted stored in the database ^^

//Edit:

Forgot to mention - a domain movement can last up to 24 hours (that's usual the time all dns nameservers need to aquire the new name)

(yep, the movement from one provider to another)

Edited by Jenks

Glad I went to sleep in my bed for the sleep bonus :)

Loving Wurm, and the community!

I just hope we don't have a wurm patriot patch in the near future.

This should be a bad joke in the best case.

While I think it is not as easy to track, catch and bring to justice author of DDOS attack. It was great marketing move to announce a reward. Seems Wurm is now much more visible, at last in gaming world. Hey, Rolf, you are clever man.

By all actions whole team did in last two-three days, you bought hearts of us, Wurmians, even more. Thanks and continue in great work :wub:

... and bullet as reward for attacker ...

I think it makes more sense hosting in Germany than in Sweden as network connectivity in that region is much more abundant and higher quality however one concern I have is are we just going for faster servers or is there going to be some sort of ddos protection too? Doesn't matter how insane the server is if the network connectivity to it is overloaded.

Also is a secondary login server, or ability to login to existing characters when login is down (maybe with some restrictions like no bank / password changes / purchases) something you guys are looking at? From what I see the main issue is that the login server is the focus of these attacks because once the login server is down the other 12 servers are rendered completely useless. It's all well and good to have Wurm's population spread out over 12 servers for redundancy but if all it takes is one of them failing to knock them all out it's kinda pointless.

Well, connectivity or not.   Having a hosting company that automatically dumps all your traffic rather than working with you to get around the ddos is infinitely better.   

Edit:  managed to say the opposite of what I wanted.   A company that will work with you rather than dump all your traffic for 24 hours at the first sign of trouble no matter how long the trouble continues is better.

yep, for sure Redi, but - passwords are surely encrypted stored in the database ^^

//Edit:

Forgot to mention - a domain movement can last up to 24 hours (that's usual the time all dns nameservers need to aquire the new name)

(yep, the movement from one provider to another)

DNS may take a while to propagate,  in fact some dns servers run 48 hours between updates, however, there are ways around that since the game files are hosted at another url.  Thus you could set the url to a temporary url and just run a quick update  or people could manually enter the dns ip or use a dns that is updated, some dns systems update quite a bit faster than a day.   Multiple ways to get around that if needed.

Edited by Old_Lando
  • Like 1

DNS may take a while to propagate,  in fact some dns servers run 48 hours between updates, however, there are ways around that since the game files are hosted at another url.  Thus you could set the url to a temporary url and just run a quick update  or people could manually enter the dns ip or use a dns that is updated, some dns systems update quite a bit faster than a day.   Multiple ways to get around that if needed.

Yes, but do you really think people are capable of going around it? When the servers are up people are going to complain about them being down, just because somebody didn't update the DNS in time.. : (

ability to login to existing characters when login is down (maybe with some restrictions like no bank / password changes / purchases)

Yes, let's allow people to log in without authenticating it. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

it has been 3 days since my last log on... That almost sounds like the start of an AA meeting haha.

Patiently waiting for the games return...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA1mbZ_MMh8

Edited by theagain
  • Like 1

What's that.  The fact that wurm got mention in some of these, or the multiple articles on ddos this week for different sites around the world.  Looks like the DDOS attacks on wurm are incidental to the differing attacks happening currently.

In response to 

Wow, this thing really blew up in the media it seems.

Edited by Old_Lando

Yes, but do you really think people are capable of going around it? When the servers are up people are going to complain about them being down, just because somebody didn't update the DNS in time.. : (

Well, I've got work to do, if others want to complain, it doesn't affect me too much.  I just need to get back to the forge.  It would really be nice if I could make it back before the fire goes out.    I assume there will be a rollback since the servers were still up during the time that the isp cut their connection.   If it's the one just after the ddos attacks started then I will be happy, but others will have been moving around when it happened.   Far better as a whole to reset to the backup when the patch was put into place, but that kills several hours of smithing I had done.   It's unfortunate I suppose and the sleep bonus doesn't really make up for the down time and the time I lost for actual smithing but is much more "fair" for the population in general.   

Anyway, I'll figure out how to get online as quickly as possible to make up for lost time.  If others would rather waste their time complaining, that's their business.

The bounty offering primarily. DDoS attacks are controversial, but the bounty is the unusual aspect that I believe garners the attention. I don't think Wurm has ever been namedropped at this many news outlets simultaneously ever.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

Yes, let's allow people to log in without authenticating it. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

You could store a older cached copy of user login/password on every game server that the servers could fall back to in the event of a login server crash. Sometimes when login crashes but the game servers are still online players who are already logged in can still play it's just they can't take any money out of their bank or change password or pay for premium or anything - I'm just proposing we continue like normal but allow existing users to authenticate with the individual game servers.

Wow, kind of good in a way to see so many major sites reporting wurm...Not so much what about, but talking about wurm will make people curious for when it does return

• Like 1

Have patient guys. Let dev team take their time and do it right. We dont want them to hurry and forgot / mess things up. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 3

Often times in the entertainment world it's not what folks have to say about you, it's more important that they are talking about you.

Everyone who has never heard of this game will now know and come check it out. This is probably the best shot in the arm we could have hoped for.

• Like 1

I agree , this media coverage will deffo attract new players , question is how do we use this to give the game and its population a big boost , the more players the better this game gets .

Personally I will be going that extra mile to help and encourage the hopefully rush of new players . 

mind ive only been playing 2 weeks so bit of a newbie myself :)

Edited by MantArms
  • Like 1