Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Update concerning DDoS attack and Downtime. Updated 18:20 CET February 20th

Might as well do it while the doing is good. It would have been better to let you all finish your testing and planning than to have your hand forced but it could not have happened at a better time to do the move with the servers offline and the game down anyway for who knows how long (due to the host, not you guys). They always seemed pretty slow when it came to contacting you about issues. I say, good riddance! I won't be sorry to see that host go.

• Like 1

All I can say is I'm happy to have gotten this game( and premium). The 1.2 update was awesome. Someone decided to DoS the server, but you guys handled it very well. You also kept us informed. 

Hope you work it out and looking forward to when the servers are back online. ^____^

Thanks for the info, hopefully this new server setup will be better secured than the current one and we wont get any more DDOS attacks. 

I was lucky enough to get online after the launch and reclaim all my items that I had to leave behind so i hope there wont be a rollback, but no biggy I guess, i can always do it again, as long as nobody beats me to it and I can actually get online on the new server.

Best of luck with the move and thanks for your continued support of this GREAT game.

Excellent news. I think a lot of us have been pushing for new servers ever since they were moved to Sweden. They were much more stable, and a better ping for all players when they were hosted in the USA. Im not sure why Rolf move them to Sweden - likely a good offer by a friend of his, im not sure - but they've been pretty rubbish ever since wurm decided to use them (who remembers the insane lag?). 

Its great to see the Wurm team moving on from this with a positive mind set, and hopefully everyone else can as well.

• Like 1

I want to thank Rolf and the others who are running this game for keeping us players in the loop about what's going on. As a new player I never knew how hooked I was until the server went down. Like others who are eager to get in game and "get dirty" crafting, we appreciate all the hard work and efforts being put forth on this whole situation. As far as needing help, I have a truck and am willing to travel :XD

I appreciate how you are speeding up the move to the new servers. I guess you're about as sick of these problems as we are!

#2 seems highly unlikely, as it wouldn't push anyone far enough to actually DDoS Wurm, let alone for this length of time.  

Here's what I'm thinking: it's either a disgruntled ex-player (not necessarily banned, just gone) or it's a form of protection racket trying to force Rolf's hand because he wouldn't pay up.  Of course, banned players who were known to sell game hacks would be prime suspects for the former, as someone who sells game hacks for money would be more likely to have the ability and desire to DDoS than someone who merely macros or buys those hacks.  As for the latter, there's an easy way to tell one way or the other regarding whether that's the cause, since it necessarily comes with a demand for money from whoever's responsible.  We don't know whether this occurred, but we can assume from Rolf asking for information on whoever did it that it's probably not that.  

So I'd be looking into the banned players list and list off each one who sold game hacks, then investigate each one starting from the most recent ban.  

i got to agree with tathar as well. if it was a player looking for SB, they would have left server crash, let it return back on and crash a couple more times till sb would be sent... non stop assault mean someone trying to hurt the game and its makers. and the reward for anyinformation as to whoever was responsible.. would have been making any racket hacker come out of the bushes with a big neon sign in the minute it was posted: saw this happened in a browser game, they had a mail within the minute of the attack telling to pay, and they made sure everyone knew.

other possible theory is our hacker is a total idiot who somehow managed to start the attack and been unable to figure out how to stop it. even if very unlikely i'll go with the hope its this, one idiot sending a big beacon to get caught XD

altho also tempted to go on the theory its a hack seller.. even tho never heard it existed in wurm... i guess some people cant play fair and just want to cheatcode everything.

on the upper side, great work from the dev team. migrating wurm must not be an easy task i'd bet, with so many servers, all the code and got to make sure all works well, and i'm surprised it would only take one day, you guys rock!

i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who wonders it but for security reasons i'm also sure details wont be mentioned of the new server stats, just hoping they will be able to handle things better if someone tries an other attack (maybe a return to sender feature would be an option? ^_^  )

Maybe the new hosting has room for a new server? (have to try, lol)

Perhaps for a server that's the size of chaos/inde? 

I also think a new host will be really worth the wait.

Hopefully he is less ignorant then the old one, let a whole community wait for 24 hours just because the host cannot react quickly or has no interest to do so.

They were not worth the money.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4TqtQnq5s8

gl with the move  :P

• Like 4

Keep up the good work, good luck with the move.  Do it right, do it once.

I think moving hosts is an awsome idea and im glad your doing it. Sadly i skipped school yesterday to play and xouldnt because of attack, then i was told it would be back up today so i skipped again... FML

• Like 4

if it helps any,theres no more room for pins in this voodoo doll i made of the hacker

• Like 4

I think moving hosts is an awsome idea and im glad your doing it. Sadly i skipped school yesterday to play and xouldnt because of attack, then i was told it would be back up today so i skipped again... FML

This right here is devotion hahaha.

• Like 8

I'm also new to this world (and badly addicted too!). +1 on keeping the community informed.

Seeing these quick information updates and the decision to move so immediately makes me confident in my choice to move here from Telon.

Best of luck on the server move and may karma repay your attackers tenfold.

• Like 2

I sure chose my moment to try and join the game for the first time didn't I?

I think you devs are pretty ace, from what I've seen in the last day. Looking forward to playing when I can :)

• Like 1

The joy of bored people launching DDoS attacks....Well i'm very happy that you keep updating us on news and that you move the servers to a more reliable one

w-Giant-Coffee-Cup75917.jpg

Don't you dare to sleep before it's done! We need Wurm - thought you might be needing some coffee :rolleyes:

• Like 10

Thanks for the update, I'm really glad you took this opportunity to transfer hosting. Why have more downtime than necessary when you can nip it in the rear now. :)

As far as the speculation that this DDoS is the result of someone wanting SB for wagon's goes, while I wouldn't doubt someone would be silly enough to do that because they might miss the chance to have it day one (Inspite of the fact that the 40 FC requirement has been public knowledge since at least December and if you can't get 40 skill in that amount of time you're doing something wrong.). I'm of the mindset that it's just a troll getting their jollies at depraving people of their patch day fun. 

mmmm think Im gonna need that cup of coffee before the day is finished :)

• Like 1

Hurrah for better servers! The other day, Pristine had 200 toons on and it was a little rough. My shovel and mallet are waiting to get started on a new project, on shiny new servers. \o/

DDosL.jpg

Hello everyone.

Unfortunately, a smooth launch was too much to ask for.

As you all probably know by now, we were hit with a DDoS attack some hours after the launch of Update 1.2.

As annoying as this may be, we are taking steps to turn this to everyones advantage.

I announced earlier that we were already looking at migrating the hosting of Wurm.

When the attack forced us offline, we went straight ahead and pushed for this to happen as soon as possible.

And as we were already close to finishing the tests and deal, we are confident that Wurm shall be running on the new servers within a day.

The upside of this is that the new servers would mean better overall performance, capacity and stability for Wurm.

We will also be getting better downtime response.

No premium time will be lost and the game whilst down is frozen in time so your deeds are safe.

Though still unclear regarding status of a rollback, we have backups on the data from just after the attack and from earlier in the day.

So a rollback, if any, should not present anything but a minor change in progression.

On a more personal note, I would like to thank our great community for showing your support!

Makes us gladly go that extra mile to get things up and running even better then before.

Wurm shall rise again!

(In Heimskr voice) I LOVE YOU!

• Like 1