Sign in to follow this  
Valdor

Things I Learned About Wurm Life When the Game Was Down

So, with the beloved game down and out for the count and me suddenly having some free extra time that would normally be spent on digging (I mean, what's cooler than that!), I resorted to checking out the various game forums in detail. I mean, I have to do something, right? And this is the closest to Wurm I can currently get.

The forums. Now, there is a world of its own. Even if the developers worked extra time and hired additional help, they would not be able to create such an ecosystem on the net. Wurm - while formidable in its own right - pales in comparison to these pages. There may be no trees and wagons here, but there is intrigue, drama, joy, despair, laughter, hate, combat, more combat, and the weekly cavalry charges at the developers by players who just happen to be enlightened so much (perhaps via meditation) as to know EXACTLY what this game needs, how it needs it and when it should be implemented. Cool stuff. Popcorn sales must be going through the roof, clearly outshining Wurm subscriptions in revenue. If Rolf only invested in popcorn instead...

But as they say, all is fair in love and Wurm. And we love it so, don't we? Sure, we get out of hand at times. Yes, we let our frustration shine through our words, but only because we like the game so much! Nothing boring is worth being passionate about and while digging, tree cutting and concrete making may seem like far from interesting at the first glance, we all know different, don't we?

So, without any hate, full of love and with a warm embrace for my fellow crazy Wurmians, let me share with you what I found to be most interesting aspects about our forums.

- The most used forum is Town Square. No surprise there.
- The most frequent recruitment posts are from PvP servers, mainly from Epic.
- The most used word in all the postings is "the". Kinda boring, but what's interesting is that the word "troll" figures squarely in 27th place.
- One out of each seven posts on the Suggestions forum is hijacked from the original thread.
- The shortest, most used forum post (other than the "." when someone deletes their message) is "+1".
- +1s actually outnumber -1s! Surprise! I guess the nature of a human being IS predominantly good.
- +1s only outnumber -1s by 3%. We may be predominantly good, but we surely don't have that many good ideas.
- The least read forum, judged by the number of viewings per post is The Creative Commons. I guess we like our creativity like we like our sleep bonus - in game.
- The most entertaining battles on the forums have been between PvP and PvE crowds, mostly before the PVP boards were restricted. There was more PvP in those threads than in game!

- Judging by the frequent forum artillery barrages between the JK and MR players from Chaos, the personal nature of the war on that server surpasses all expectations.
- The biggest gripe of Freedom players about PvP servers seems to be the fact that you get killed for no reason right after joining. Incidentally, most of the players voicing that concern seem to have never been on a PvP server.
- The biggest gripe of PvP players about Freedomers is that they think they will get killed for no reason and therefore won't join the fight. Incidentally, some PvPers like to use the word "Freedumbers" when referring to the PvE crowd, which must surely be the best way to get them to come over.
- PvE players blame PvP players for all the horrors that befell their gaming experience, stating that they are in the dev's back pockets. PvP players claim the exact opposite.
- Trade is more robust on the forums than it is in game. You can buy anything from a spatula to a colossus on the market forums.
- The price for bricks can vary from 1s for 500 to 1.5s for 1000. The price of cotton can be as low as 40c for 1k or as high as 2s for 1k.
- You can buy a 25ql 87CoC pick for 1.91s or 0.75s, depending on where you shop.
- The most common personal delivery charge on the Freedom servers is 10c for same server and 20c for others.
- The same suggestion appears on the Suggestion forums roughly every 2.5 months.
- It is not at all uncommon for a player to -1 a suggestion at one time, only to +1 the same suggestion 2.5 months later and defend his or her decision with passion.
- It takes only 50% of players voting "yes" in a poll to instigate a public cry that a feature should be implemented because "everyone" is for it.
- If you are still reading this, it means that Wurm is still down.

Well, that's my list. If you have your own, post it below. Take it lightheartedly, I ask you, for at the end of the day, when all the hacker attacks are done, when the passion runs its course, when all the +1s and -1s are placed on the forums like little chess pieces, and when it finally comes time to digging again, we are all in this together!

Oh and if anyone wants to check my math, feel free, but please remember the golden rule of life... 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

• Like 31

- The most used forum is Town Square. No surprise there.

- The most frequent recruitment posts are from PvP servers, mainly from Epic.

- The most used word in all the postings is "the". Kinda boring, but what's interesting is that the word "troll" figures squarely in 27th place.

- One out of each seven posts on the Suggestions forum is hijacked from the original thread.

- The shortest, most used forum post (other than the "." when someone deletes their message) is "+1".

- +1s actually outnumber -1s! Surprise! I guess the nature of a human being IS predominantly good.

- +1s only outnumber -1s by 3%. We may be predominantly good, but we surely don't have that many good ideas.

- The least read forum, judged by the number of viewings per post is The Creative Commons. I guess we like our creativity like we like our sleep bonus - in game.

- The most entertaining battles on the forums have been between PvP and PvE crowds, mostly before the PVP boards were restricted. There was more PvP in those threads than in game!

- Judging by the frequent forum artillery barrages between the JK and MR players from Chaos, the personal nature of the war on that server surpasses all expectations.

- The biggest gripe of Freedom players about PvP servers seems to be the fact that you get killed for no reason right after joining. Incidentally, most of the players voicing that concern seem to have never been on a PvP server.

- The biggest gripe of PvP players about Freedomers is that they think they will get killed for no reason and therefore won't join the fight. Incidentally, some PvPers like to use the word "Freedumbers" when referring to the PvE crowd, which must surely be the best way to get them to come over.

- PvE players blame PvP players for all the horrors that befell their gaming experience, stating that they are in the dev's back pockets. PvP players claim the exact opposite.

- Trade is more robust on the forums than it is in game. You can buy anything from a spatula to a colossus on the market forums.

- The price for bricks can vary from 1s for 500 to 1.5s for 1000. The price of cotton can be as low as 40c for 1k or as high as 2s for 1k.

- You can buy a 25ql 87CoC pick for 1.91s or 0.75s, depending on where you shop.

- The most common personal delivery charge on the Freedom servers is 10c for same server and 20c for others.

- The same suggestion appears on the Suggestion forums roughly every 2.5 months.

- It is not at all uncommon for a player to -1 a suggestion at one time, only to +1 the same suggestion 2.5 months later and defend his or her decision with passion.

- It takes only 50% of players voting "yes" in a poll to instigate a public cry that a feature should be implemented because "everyone" is for it.

- If you are still reading this, it means that Wurm is still down.

Well, that's my list. If you have your own, post it below. Take it lightheartedly, I ask you, for at the end of the day, when all the hacker attacks are done, when the passion runs its course, when all the +1s and -1s are placed on the forums like little chess pieces, and when it finally comes time to digging again, we are all in this together!

Oh and if anyone wants to check my math, feel free, but please remember the golden rule of life... 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Lots of interesting tidbits,

-but about the recruitment posts thing, Epic isn't a pvp server, it's a cluster of servers ;). which one within epic had the most recruitment posts?

-Freedumbers! Hah! I'll have to remember that.

Please allow me, if you, will the honour of adding the the first +1 to the very fine post you made.

+1!

-Freedumbers! Hah! I'll have to remember that.

My lifelong dream is that of these days, I'm going to take my Knarr out to the server border on the east side of chaos, and terraform platforms with Troll statues on them in the ocean at all the ship warp sites, all of them of them saying:   Welcome to Chaos server, Freedumbers prepare to die!   

Valdor, you nailed the whole PvE vs PvP players argument on the head.   I can also predict when the next "Let there be Dragons!" post will pop every month, just like clockwork.   (I don't count the other stupid nuisance posts that just keep getting bumped)    

I've been with this game for years now, but it still amazes me just how much ends up on the forums.  The whole MR vs JK thing going on in Chaos has reached the portions of a religious Jihad over the years with every little mechanic change the is the equivalent of dropping a nuke that blows around and derails half of the suggestions on both chaos, the suggestion boards, and any remotely related topic anywhere on the forums, descending into madness with tribal fervor and much luz.  

All the little squabbles on the freedom server  sections over who actually owns which cow do make for good popcorn munching and sometimes seem rather tame in comparison to all that drama over the MR vs JK stuff.   

Edited by Battlepaw

I remembered I really like booze and other recreational items!

• Like 3

The biggest gripe of Freedom players about PvP servers seems to be the fact that you get killed for no reason right after joining. Incidentally, most of the players voicing that concern seem to have never been on a PvP server.

Interesting... here's a tale I can share about freedomers dying on the PVP server.

Mid last year, I was sailing the eastern coastline of Chaos. I was returning to my home village on Chaos when I suddenly came across a sailboat moored inside a bay, not too far from my home village. It was slightly hidden from public view. I also didn't recognise the name of the boat and so I approached it with caution hoping to investigate further.

Upon examining the boat, I learned that it belonged to a player who I was unfamiliar with.

I contacted my home village and we gathered a small group of scouts from the nearby area and scoured the terrain looking for clues of this person's identity, whereabouts and intentions.

Soon after disembarking my boat, I saw a trail of junk items and woodscraps leading uphill. I followed this trail and it eventually lead me to a newly constructed 1x1 house at the top of a hill, hidden by the terrain, trees and surrounding bushes.

Whoever this player was, he wanted to remain hidden.

Our group scouted the area further and we eventually came across a dead body surrounded by the mobs feeding on it.

We killed the mobs and examined the equipment on the corpse. His weapon and armour weren't high quality but he had all of his tools on him. It looked like he was prepared for a long stay.

Sadly and despite our efforts, we could never make contact with this player. I believe he was a player from freedom looking for adventure on chaos but was unfortunate enough to be caught out by a bunch of spiders.

His death wasn't PVP-related and he certainly got killed for a reason. That reason being: He bit off more than he could chew.

• Like 3

From the little time I've spent on the forums...you seem to have hit everything spot on with those points :)

Interesting... here's a tale I can share about freedomers dying on the PVP server.

Mid last year, I was sailing the eastern coastline of Chaos. I was returning to my home village on Chaos when I suddenly came across a sailboat moored inside a bay, not too far from my home village. It was slightly hidden from public view. I also didn't recognise the name of the boat and so I approached it with caution hoping to investigate further.

Upon examining the boat, I learned that it belonged to a player who I was unfamiliar with.

I contacted my home village and we gathered a small group of scouts from the nearby area and scoured the terrain looking for clues of this person's identity, whereabouts and intentions.

Soon after disembarking my boat, I saw a trail of junk items and woodscraps leading uphill. I followed this trail and it eventually lead me to a newly constructed 1x1 house at the top of a hill, hidden by the terrain, trees and surrounding bushes.

Our group scouted the area further and we eventually came across a dead body surrounded by the mobs feeding on it.

We killed the mobs and examined the equipment on the corpse. His weapon and armour weren't high quality but he had all of his tools on him. It looked like he was prepared for a long stay.

Sadly and despite our efforts, we could never make contact with this player. I believe he was a player from freedom looking for adventure on chaos but was unfortunate enough to be caught out by a bunch of spiders.

His death wasn't PVP-related and he certainly got killed for a reason. That reason being: He bit off more than he could chew.

It was like: "welcome on chaos! do you really want to land here? :)"

b2wKABQ.jpg

• Like 2

never changed imo

I remembered I really like booze and other recreational items!

I like booze even when Wurm servers are online.

• Like 5

Things I learnt whilst the servers were down;

- The family dog moults... a lot

- There is actually a hoover in my house.

- It is possible to get the house and my keyboard 'squeaky' clean.

While servers were down I learned how to cook a really tasty spicy Thai peanut noodle soup! it only cost two months of prem to buy all the ingredients I needed and i now will be able to make a super fast yummy food for raid times!

[05:54:39] Real life Hot food cooking increased by 1.003 to 51.803

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Instigation into bickering.
Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Instigation into bickering.

I have another story.  About 1 year ago or less, I ventured to Chaos, because I never crossed to aother server and this was the closest border.  Population in chaos was 20-30 players average back in those days.    I sailed across the shores in chaos admiring the wild lands for a good while, untill I run into another sailboat, with the apparently friendly RomaN in it. 

We greeted eachother, waved at eachother, and then he aimed straight at me.   I probably must have had 30FS at that time, 20Q chain armour and weapon, you get the picture.   So I tried to avoid contact, despite the fact that RomaN seemed friendly,  when close enough he obviously targeted me, but I could, for whateve reason sail faster, and started sailing to wards the map edge.

When I was already some tiles away from him, and well on my way towards the border, he managed to shoot me with a Q50-60 war arrow, wich was the highest quality item I ever had at that time.

I managed to cross borders, bleeding, but without cotton or covers to heal the wound that was getting each time worse and worse.   A friendly neighbor from Deliverance came to the rescue and healed my 90dmg wound as soon as I reached the coast.

So dont let anyone tell you otherwise, people in Chaos will try to kill you for no reason and for no gain.

PS: After that I did and still do several other incursions, but always staying under the radar.

Edited by Rathgar

80% of all statistics are made up. 50% of people already know that.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Quoting hidden post.
Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Quoting hidden post.

I have another story.  About 1 year ago or less, I ventured to Chaos, because I never crossed to aother server and this was the closest border.  Population in chaos was 20-30 players average back in those days.    I sailed across the shores in chaos admiring the wild lands for a good while, untill I run into another sailboat, with the apparently friendly RomaN in it. 

We greeted eachother, waved at eachother, and then he aimed straight at me.   I probably must have had 30FS at that time, 20Q chain armour and weapon, you get the picture.   So I tried to avoid contact, despite the fact that RomaN seemed friendly,  when close enough he obviously targeted me, but I could, for whateve reason sail faster, and started sailing to wards the map edge.

When I was already some tiles away from him, and well on my way towards the border, he managed to shoot me with a Q50-60 war arrow, wich was the highest quality item I ever had at that time.

I managed to cross borders, bleeding, but without cotton or covers to heal the wound that was getting each time worse and worse.   A friendly neighbor from Deliverance came to the rescue and healed my 90dmg wound as soon as I reached the coast.

So dont let anyone tell you otherwise, people in Chaos will try to kill you for no reason and for no gain.

PS: After that I did and still do several other incursions, but always staying under the radar.

You're a terrible liar. You made your whole story up. The driver of a boat also can't fire arrows and mine are not 50-60ql lol.

I've also never seen you before in local or engaged in combat with you.

I do remember you though... some players from MR spotted you near the coastline in January last year acting suspiciously and sailing close to our borders. You were warned to stay away.

Logging started 2013-01-28

[23:49:51] <Roman> Where are you headed?

[23:50:26] <Rathgar> scouting from deli, so between deli and the chaos coast

[23:50:32] <Roman> Why?

[23:50:55] <Rathgar> wanderlust

[23:51:21] <Roman> I suggest you turn back now

[23:51:32] <Roman> If our other group sees you, they will give chase

[23:52:52] <Rathgar> I am aware of the risks, I will continue scouting though

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Quoting hidden post.
Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Quoting hidden post.

You're a terrible liar. You made your whole story up. The driver of a boat also can't fire arrows and mine are not 50-60ql lol.

I've also never seen you before in local or engaged in combat with you.

I do remember you though... some players from MR spotted you near the coastline in January last year acting suspiciously and sailing close to our borders. You were warned to stay away.

Logging started 2013-01-28

[23:49:51] <Roman> Where are you headed?

[23:50:26] <Rathgar> scouting from deli, so between deli and the chaos coast

[23:50:32] <Roman> Why?

[23:50:55] <Rathgar> wanderlust

[23:51:21] <Roman> I suggest you turn back now

[23:51:32] <Roman> If our other group sees you, they will give chase

[23:52:52] <Rathgar> I am aware of the risks, I will continue scouting though

I didnt see any other group or any other person that day, or that couple of days, you did attack me, it was the first time anyone attacked me so I would remember, and I have no idea what kind of arrows you usually use, but thats what you shot at me that time.

And that chat was right after we greeted in local, and our boats were just a couple of tiles away.  

My point stands, people will atack you just because you exist and they are in attack range.  Also I guess you had a multiple personality stroke and suddenly you became your "other" group :lol:

Edited by Rathgar

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Related specifically to hidden posts.
Hidden by Elen, February 19, 2014 - Related specifically to hidden posts.

Lying doesn't prove your point.

I've also never seen you before.

I decided to wash my car seeing how Wurm was down.  I went out to go do it and realized I didn't have any clean rags or towels, so I realized I had to do some laundry so that I could have some clean rags to clean the car and clean towels to dry it.

I went to my laundry basket and started sorting out my laundry to make sure I didn't mess anything up and I noticed I had a small hole in one of my socks.  So I went to the cabinet to get a needle and thread to patch the hole in my sock so that I could sort my laundry, clean some towels, and wash my car.  

While sewing the hole in my sock, I pricked my finger with the needle and started bleeding, so I put down the sock, needle and thread and went to the bathroom to get a bandage to stop the bleeding so that I could patch the hole in my sock so that I could sort my laundry to clean some towels and wash my car.

Luckily it wasn't a very big wound so the bleeding stopped very quickly, however I noticed that some blood had spilled on the sink counter and the floor, so I went to the kitchen to get some paper towels and cleaner to clean the blood up so that I could finish sewing the hole in my sock, sort my laundry, clean some towels and wash my car.

When I walked into the kitchen, I noticed I was getting very hungry, so I thought I would check to see if I had anything to eat only to find my kitchen was sadly lacking in food stuff.  I grabbed the keys to my car to go to the store to get some food.  I walked out to the car and saw it was dirty, which reminded me I needed to clean the car before I could go and get the food and I wasn't done sewing the sock, sorting the laundry or washing the towels.

Funny how art imitates life isn't it!    :blink:

• Like 9