Sign in to follow this  
Ordinii

Honey etc.

I had been thinking about this for a couple of weeks - and the other day I saw some people talking about it in chat so I have devised what I think is a functional system for this item.

Step 1. Create a cleft stick (new tool crafted from a branch or shaft)

attributed-to-ibbetson-denzil-traveller-

Step 2. Activate cleft stick which gives the option to "Inspect" a tree - restricted to old and shriveled trees only - Inspecting has two possible results - 1. You find nothing - 2. You find and harvest a bee nest.

beehive-6080474.jpg

Step 3. On harvesting the bee nest you again have two possible results - 1. You harvest honey - 2. You harvest Queen bee.

Step 4. If Queen bee is harvested - Craft a bee hive and place her inside.

compost_bin_beehive_1.jpg

Step 5. Harvest honey from bee hive every 3-5 RL days (except during snow time)

I think that honey could be used in various ways - in cooking (obviously) - but use with nuts or fruit to create cake like item - mix with wheat to produce Mead - mix with barley to produce beer - and mix with mushrooms and herbs to produce healing covers.

I don't claim this to be the perfect implementation of honey but I think the basic principals are pretty solid.

Please feel free to comment or add your own suggestions as to how to use honey in the game!

• Like 6

Seems straightforward enough to be workable.

Honey would be great for HCs, probably at 4 or 5 pot.

Edited by Elen

This really sounds like a good idea. You should place this in the suggestion & ideas forum.

Sounds good but should also have a chance of being stung and failing to harvest if you are stung. Stings should produce very light to light wounds. :) +1

• Like 1

+1

Beekeeping is a skill I have been hoping for in Wurm a good long time.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

Any potential uses for wax, other than candles (and waxing my glorious virile shiny scalp)?

This really sounds like a good idea. You should place this in the suggestion & ideas forum.

You had me so confused for a few seconds there Bryanr!! :-)

Sounds good but should also have a chance of being stung and failing to harvest if you are stung. Stings should produce very light to light wounds. :) +1

Great idea - didn't think about this but would be a great addition to the process!

Any potential uses for wax, other than candles (and waxing my glorious virile shiny scalp)?

Maybe could be applied to boats to increase speed - but is exhaustible like oil/tar in a lantern?

• Like 1

Need some failing at lower skill in there when the bees attack you.....

Edited by Protunia

Need some failing at lower skill in there when the bees attack you.....

Yes, and give it a chance to inflict poison wounds.

Gives farmers salve more use for freedom players.

Tailors could make a bee keeping outfit to reduce the chance of receiving wounds while collecting honey.

oprah-bees-300x171.jpg

Note: I'm not in favour of apiculture, many other things I'd prefer to see prioritized, like new wall textures, bridges, combat and underground overhauls. IF it were just a matter of finding beehives, and harvesting them based on your forestry for honey/combs, I think that would be simple to implement. 

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 2

I don't claim this to be the perfect implementation of honey but I think the basic principals are pretty solid.

Pretty much.

+1

Also +1 to Protunia's and to have cloth tailors create a beekeper's hat (whatever that thing is called).

+1 MEAD!!! we have Knarrs and no mead? 

as you cant make mead without honey +1 for honey :P

and honey to be used to tame bears :D

+1

Honey would be nice even without the mead.  Although with mead would be better, though then we'd need to lobby for blackberries to make blackberry infused mead.

Honey would be great. Period for healing covers and wax candles could burn brighter than animal fat ones, maybe? I'd love to have another carpentry item to make as well-those beehive things- and a new tailoring use would be welcome as well. And yes, MEAD! Why are we drinking scary, dangerous medieval water? :)

Edited by NeeNee