Sign in to follow this  
Miniroll

Wurm-like games are starting to become slightly more sought after.

During this current downtime of wurm, on top of having some mild withdrawal symptoms :) I did some snooping about.

It came to my attention that the current games on the market are not as satisfying for most gamers, and a lot of gamers are looking for a more involving and time consuming games.

People are constantly looking for new games to play and something to chuck money at. I came across a game called 'Terrayn', which currently has only 27 days left on its kickstarter, and only has $2500 out of the $300000 it would like. Whilst it does boast a more advanced terraformer than wurm I can't help but think that the guys working on it would be better if they helped develop Wurm.

I'm going to chuck a prediction out there and say that in a few months time tons and tons more of these persistent-world-terraforming-MMO-simulators will be slabbed onto the market, most might not do well, but a few might prevail. 

And how good would it be to see Wurm Online leading that push in this design of game? I know I definitely would back up Wurm if more competitors showed up, Wurm is unique and has a close-knit team and an in depth player made lore.

Just thought I would like to help keep our devs heads up and keep pushing out patches and tweaks, I'm looking forward to seeing progress.

Link to terrayn kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/538232333/terrayn-build-your-legacy (see for yourself)

P.S Get them nice servers set up in Germany, the current server providers seem to be a little less diligent in fixing ddos problems :)

• Like 1

eh, I'd rather play LiF or EQNL then that.... looks even cheaper then wurm at it's current stage, where LIF looks like advanced wurm, and EQNL is.....next-gen building.

I agree that more people are getting hooked by "sandbox" style games. Mainly due to the amount of "freedom" they tend to have in them. That said, there are a large number of "sandbox" style games in development. As for just adding more Devs to Wurm? I'm not so sure it would help. In the rather near future with all of the new "sandbox" type games in development, Wurm will need a serious face-lift to compete. And I'm not talking just graphical either.

Better client, server stability, true 3D, better permissions system, and many other overall improvements would do wonders for Wurm.

The main reasons I still play Wurm are:

1, the community for the most part is pretty awesome.

2, I like the core systems. Things like the repair/crafting/imping. The complexity of creation for items like carts, boats, etc.

3, The ability for huge projects that a whole community can work on together. I.E. roads, canals, etc.

The day someone puts all of those systems in a very updated package with better stability, true 3D all around, streamlined permission system (I.e. same permissions UI setup for everything, not just deeds.), etc. I'll be all over that thing like flies on.... Er.. You get the idea. :P

• Like 4

I agree that more people are getting hooked by "sandbox" style games. Mainly due to the amount of "freedom" they tend to have in them. That said, there are a large number of "sandbox" style games in development. As for just adding more Devs to Wurm? I'm not so sure it would help. In the rather near future with all of the new "sandbox" type games in development, Wurm will need a serious face-lift to compete. And I'm not talking just graphical either.

Better client, server stability, true 3D, better permissions system, and many other overall improvements would do wonders for Wurm.

The main reasons I still play Wurm are:

1, the community for the most part is pretty awesome.

2, I like the core systems. Things like the repair/crafting/imping. The complexity of creation for items like carts, boats, etc.

3, The ability for huge projects that a whole community can work on together. I.E. roads, canals, etc.

The day someone puts all of those systems in a very updated package with better stability, true 3D all around, streamlined permission system (I.e. same permissions UI setup for everything, not just deeds.), etc. I'll be all over that thing like flies on.... Er.. You get the idea. :P

This, 100%.  The main reason wurm (imo)  is still in the playing field is the crafting system, nothing comes close.....at all.

• Like 1

Wilderness survival and world-building MMO games have been getting increasingly more traction during the last few years, yeah. I'd personally like to believe it's a natural counter-response to the tired state of the mainstream games market, though the real reason probably has more to do with Minecraft and DayZ introducing a bigger audience to this genre area.

I'm pretty certain Wurm will be seeing more competition soon, but I doubt any will strike the exact same balance of Survival vs. RPG vs. Sandbox.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

but I doubt any will strike the exact same balance of Survival vs. RPG vs. Sandbox.

I don't doubt it at all. Eventually someone will come along and get the recipe right again. LiF is a good example of the attempt. Whether or not LiF will be able to do it on the other hand has yet to be seen as it's not in a "released" state yet.

It might take a couple/few years, but I can say with confidence that someone at some point, will make basically a Wurm 2.0.

Looking at Lif it looks very good but not sure if it will beat wurm. I am still looking for a space game like wurm.

Looking at Lif it looks very good but not sure if it will beat wurm. I am still looking for a space game like wurm.

Starforge.....Though it's not exactly like wurm by any means, far from it infact.  but it's going to be VERY good, and I can tell you.......The voxel terrain, is Amazing!

Don't forget about a game previously mentioned (maybe in a separate thread) The Repopulation. It'll be semi-spacey. However I'm not sure about any terraforming, etc. in The Repop.

What would make Wurm almost a perfect game is to mix Wurm's building and crafting system* with Mount and Blade fighting system. I would be the most fulfilled player of all times.

* of course it'll need constant ameliorations, more building possibilities, decorations (painting, furnitures, being able to place stuff on tables and plenty other stuff)

What would make Wurm almost a perfect game is to mix Wurm's building and crafting system* with Mount and Blade fighting system. I would be the most fulfilled player of all times.

* of course it'll need constant ameliorations, more building possibilities, decorations (painting, furnitures, being able to place stuff on tables and plenty other stuff)

Thus LIF...........

But wurm couldn't handle it, 3 second lag.......you'd be trying to chop a guys head of, when he was 40 feet away from you already. lol

If you are a Sci-fi fan then this might be of interest to you:-

https://www.therepopulation.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOvmzd6bGHU#t=110

It was actually on their forums I heard about Wurm - I am not sure the crafting will match what is available here in Wurm but its still looking likes its going to be an amazing game.

Whilst it does boast a more advanced terraformer than wurm I can't help but think that the guys working on it would be better if they helped develop Wurm.

I'd be better off, too, working for an established company in my desired field of expertise too, that has been around for years and appears relatively stable. However, that doesn't do much good if that team isn't looking for additional members.

I have noticed a number of slightly similar titles myself, but it's certainly a sparse and under-developed market, probably largely because most gamers are looking for fast paced action with decent graphics. Shooters, RTS, MOBA, even minecraft is fast paced. And don't try telling me that instantly placing blocks, jumping around and hitting people almost as fast as you can click, and mining 1m^3 chunks of solid stone in under a second aren't fast paced heh.

I think most games on the market are satisfying for -most- gamers. Not everyone is looking for complexity, difficulty, or something that is time consuming. Many just want to sit down and relax a little. Kill a dragon, shoot some terrorists, kill the zombies, or Fus Ro Dah all the fruit and vegetables off the table. Fortunately, the niche groups that aren't satisfied, even as a small percent, would still be in the hundreds of thousands if not low-millions.

I'm pretty sure that Wurm won't be known by most gamers as the forefather.

Most people consider WoW to be the forefather of MMO's because back when Everquest and Ultima Online began, it was very cult... not many numbers.
Along comes Blizzard with a cast made by previous games, they make a blockbuster and introduce the world to MMO's.
Hell it even got a mention on Stargate SG1

Sony's EQNL is catered toward a much larger demographic than Wurm is, for that reason, i guess they get to introduce the world to this kinda game. (aside from the work minecraft has already done)
Which is fair enough considering they had the MMO limelight stolen from them by WoW and a very badly coded EQ2 (imo pls challenge me on this if u disagree)

Although i'm a veteran of EQ & EQ2 and as much as i miss Norrath i'll not be leaving Wurm for EQNL. (certainly can't afford both)

As long as Wurm continues to stand apart from all the others, as long as Rolf stays faithful to his vision, this ship will keep on sailing.
I simply don't believe that it will lead the way although it has most certainly inspired the functionality of many future projects.

(others games will copy Wurm as surely as WoW copied its predecessors)
I wonder if Blizzard are working on their own sandbox/survival/mmo 

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

During this current downtime of wurm, on top of having some mild withdrawal symptoms :) I did some snooping about.

It came to my attention that the current games on the market are not as satisfying for most gamers, and a lot of gamers are looking for a more involving and time consuming games.

People are constantly looking for new games to play and something to chuck money at. I came across a game called 'Terrayn', which currently has only 27 days left on its kickstarter, and only has $2500 out of the $300000 it would like. Whilst it does boast a more advanced terraformer than wurm I can't help but think that the guys working on it would be better if they helped develop Wurm.

I'm going to chuck a prediction out there and say that in a few months time tons and tons more of these persistent-world-terraforming-MMO-simulators will be slabbed onto the market, most might not do well, but a few might prevail. 

And how good would it be to see Wurm Online leading that push in this design of game? I know I definitely would back up Wurm if more competitors showed up, Wurm is unique and has a close-knit team and an in depth player made lore.

Just thought I would like to help keep our devs heads up and keep pushing out patches and tweaks, I'm looking forward to seeing progress.

Link to terrayn kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/538232333/terrayn-build-your-legacy (see for yourself)

P.S Get them nice servers set up in Germany, the current server providers seem to be a little less diligent in fixing ddos problems :)

While the freedom to create things and change the landscape is a great thing to have and separates these games from the themparks, it's not unique among sandbox games. There're increasing numbers of sandbox games, but Wurm Online doesn't lead the pack because it's not nearly as casual-friendly as it would need to be and likely never will be, either. Its long grind and and unfriendliness towards casuals makes it niche amongst sandbox games. I myself like this somewhat, but at the same time, many more people out there DO NOT like it. Where the game goes depends whether Rolf likes it to be this way or wants to make it more casual or mainstream-esque.

Wurm Online is good at the survival gameplay early on, but even that could use a lot of work. It's like the game doesn't know whether it wants to be about survival or building and skilling up. However, I think the game is moreso becoming about the building and skilling up as opposed to survival. This means it's mainly about joining others - maybe or maybe not participating in building the village defenses or commons - and building your house and then a long grindy skilling up period with some breaks where you leave and go it alone or join another village.

Even though making this game more casual-friendly would make it join the head of the pack moreso than now, I play on PVP servers and joined this game in 2012. I liked the danger and not having my hand held. Many people say new players need extra help, but I was one of those types that really didn't want all that extra help. I'm not the type of gamer that likes lots of UI, either. I liked the minimalist UI. I don't like mini-radars and in-game maps.

What I'd like to see is more survival-aspects throughout the low-skill game and high-skill game. The game is just too safe once you get into a village with others and this is especially true when you get a deed. I went on the pvp server to get more of this kind of gameplay, but the overall game is still too safe. Ironically, the creautures in this game are heavily inflated and impossible to kill if you're a new player. Of course, it doesn't matter because there're guard towers everywhere and deeds to protect new players. If the game was more about survival, the creatures would have to be much less dangerous to new players and yet at the same time more dangerous for villages. One thing I think that would happen is there'd be less guard towers and more of a requirement for players to defend their village. AS it's, guard towers are an imbalance created to protect newer players from the inflated dps of wilderness creatures. This is related to the desire of the developers to create creatures for older veteran players. Guard towers are also related to this game-wide shift towards building and skilling up on the long grind instead of the survival gameplay.

Wurm ONline is becoming long in the tooth and it's not likely to change much. This means I'll never be completely happy with it and neither will the casuals, who'll always have to fight its innate wild unfriendly nature.

I'd like to see a lot of other stuff but, this it's off topic. It's really for another game. That's the beauty of our world. It always produces new things and different mixes of ideas and ultimately this means new games.

Edited by Lightonfoot

Thus LIF...........

But wurm couldn't handle it, 3 second lag.......you'd be trying to chop a guys head of, when he was 40 feet away from you already. lol

In LiF, you have pre-made buildings, for now at least. I find Wurm building system much better -> wall after wall. Of course i'd like more options, like being able to build it brick by brick (in the most perfect scenario), do not have to follow the tile's lines, etc.... So one would be able to make it's house really personal in style.

Speaking about lag, i agree, but obviously i'm talking about a perfect game in a perfect World. With a good engine (something like Outerra for example).

So an ameliorated Wurm building system, with a look like in Skyrim (i really like the furnitures in Skyrim and how you can decorate and put stuff all around) and a Mount and Blade style fighting system, would be a dream for me. If I had any programming skill, it's at least what I would love to try to create.

(.......)

I think most games on the market are satisfying for -most- gamers. Not everyone is looking for complexity, difficulty, or something that is time consuming. Many just want to sit down and relax a little. Kill a dragon, shoot some terrorists, kill the zombies, or Fus Ro Dah all the fruit and vegetables off the table. Fortunately, the niche groups that aren't satisfied, even as a small percent, would still be in the hundreds of thousands if not low-millions.

Oddly, some people actually like grind because they can tolerate it and they use it to separate themselves from others. Some players also like long torturous challenges even for meager rewards. Why? Probably because they both have the time for it and also have an exaggerated sense of accomplishment. Why do people feel accomplished when they do things in games? Why does it feel even better when you had to work hard to get something? Well maybe because all that hard work and thought helps to distinguish you from others who didn't put in the time.

What if I'm a person that can only play games 30 minutes/day or 1 hour at most? I'll stick to games that're shorter and much much quicker to access and play. Browser games can work out real good for this. However, a lot of these kinds of gamers also want something bigger, like an MMORPG. What's out there for them? Fortunately, most people of working age work, so there're lots of games for people who play 1-4 hours/day. But if you only have 1 hour at best, I do think it limits what you can do, since those other games tend to make longer-term goals. You might be able to finish some quests here and there, but any quest that must be completed in a 1+ hour window will be out of reach and you'll also level up slow and probably never reach the end-game. It'll be hard to enjoy the whole game.

I like games that have danger. Even though I'm a coward in RL, I love tension. I guess this means I'm an adrenaline junkie. I just can't help it. I find it very hard to enjoy a game if there's no danger or the possibility of losing my stuff. I was bred on these kinds of games and I just hate it when there's constant safety. And I am not particularly fond of grind either. In Wurm Online I've got around hte grind by playing alone and making everything myself, so I grind as little as possible. The moment I join other players, I feel greatly hampered and like I have to grind a skill. What's worse is joining others also means more safety which totally destroys the fun for me, unless there's a pvp threat. The problem with pvp threats is they're sometimes sporadic and can also be totally unfair. I play on a pvp server and I generally like the threat, but evenso, it has been very uneventful for long stretches at times (/puke).

I been thinking the past day to try Xsyon. Funny thing is, I wanted to log into Wurm but the server is down. I was having some crashing the last time and wanted to give'er a spin to see how stable she's. I did get to tweak some settings and may or may not have resolved some of the crashing - just don't know yet.

Edited by Lightonfoot
  • Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Elen, March 26, 2014 - Discussing moderation in public.
Hidden by Elen, March 26, 2014 - Discussing moderation in public.

It seems not every thread got purged.

Let us celebrate this thread!

I wouldn't mind giving Repopulation a try, but getting in right now isn't easy by any measure.