Sign in to follow this  
Seara

Servers offline from a DDOS attack.

There will always be those "GIMME" players that just whine and cry no mater how many valid arguments you put in their face, I've just learned to live with it and like the post of anyone calling them a moron :D

• Like 4

There is not 1 other news online of any other game or provider under attack, which means its either inhouse attack or

an excuse because u cant afford to pay the costs to keep the servers up.

Nice try tho. nice try.

So you think it's not possible for some frustrated moron to initiate DDoS attack specifically against Wurm, especially with those reports about some weirdo who kept spamming Global with threats how he'd ruin Wurm.

We all are unhappy about the situation, but almost everyone here acts maturely and does not blame devs. Care to join?

• Like 5

There will always be those "GIMME" players that just whine and cry no mater how many valid arguments you put in their face, I've just learned to live with it and like the post of anyone calling them a moron :D

I'm actually quite positively surprised, Wurm community acts (mostly) really nicely here.

I love you all and I'm proud to be a part of this community!

(gimme a coffee NAO!!!!!!!1112)

• Like 1

Well what is not mentioned here is that DDoS cost REAL money, even if only a few hunders bucks per 24 h (if quick google searches are reliable at all). Which means someone must be really wanting Wurm down. Or rich and bored? My bet is on someone who wants more income from being Wurm down or someone with a real rage burning inside....

Well what is not mentioned here is that DDoS cost REAL money, even if only a few hunders bucks per 24 h (if quick google searches are reliable at all). Which means someone must be really wanting Wurm down. Or rich and bored? My bet is on someone who wants more income from being Wurm down or someone with a real rage burning inside....

i think it happens coz someone is mad that valrei isnt workin

Maybe if you are paying some hacker with an already established network of infected computers / servers but that more than likely isn't the case here.

Jezze people, stop getting mad.  Nothing the Wurm team can do about this right now. 
I for one went and trained my RL cooking skill, I think I may have an affinity for it.  :)

• Like 5

There is not 1 other news online of any other game or provider under attack, which means its either inhouse attack or

an excuse because u cant afford to pay the costs to keep the servers up.

Nice try tho. nice try.

I can think of 3 possible reasons behind your post:

1. You have no clue how Ddos works and are bitter about the management of the game

2. You just want to troll the thread.

3. You are actually the person who did the ddos attack in the first place (which I doubt but still :))

Keeping in line with the guy posting links to a Wurm macro program thingie, I'll reckon most of the DDoS'ing comes from the average and gullible Wurmian joining in on the botnet

@brigstone

Defending against a large scale attack takes a lot of resources and money. Money that a big corporate can spend on security because they are generating huge revenue. You will never see Sony or EA being threatened by attacks. Wurm on the other side is a small indie game of 1000-2000 customers. You do understand that not everyone has the luxury to do such spendings. Recently DDoS attacks have become very sophisticated and easy to perform which leaves small companies in a dissadvantage.

My personal opinion is this. The sandbox mmo gamers is a very small percentage of the gamers community world-wide. It's a small pie that a handful of companies try to eat. It's obvious that when one of them is threatened by the popularity of another, they will resort to unethical ways to prevent their enemies growth. There are always exceptions to this rule, but 90% of the cases is competition between companies.

Edited by Issle

I heard many people talking about a person putting messages in one or more of the game's global channels regarding taking down Wurm. There are logs of all the channels saved in the computer, more specifically in the <wurm folder>"/players/"<player name>"/logs" .

Maybe check again and copy it here. It might not be relevant information, but at least you get some entertainment until tomorrow at noon. ;)

DDOS - Distributed Denial of Service, mostly from implanted Trojans which targets & comprimises multiple systems of which

aims at a specific sysytem causing a denial of service, victims of a ddos are often controlled maliciously by a hacker (or attempt)

this causes trafic flooding and the only way to end this attack is to pinpoint a single ip address from potentially hundreds of

thousands, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.

Yes... i know exactly what a DDOS is..

The point is, if this is what any random person can do cause such a problem that the game servers become unsafe to open

up to people playing then what guarentee do we have that our personal Details and account information is even safe?

Defending against a large scale attack takes a lot of resources and money. Money that a big corporate can spend on security because they are generating huge revenue. You will never see Sony or EA being threatened by attacks. Wurm on the other side is a small indie game of 1000-2000 customers. You do understand that not everyone has the luxury to do such spendings. Recently DDoS attacks have become very sophisticated and easy to perform which leaves small companies in a dissadvantage.

Some hosting companies offer it for free ie https://www.ovh.com/us/anti-ddos/hoovering-up.xml

@brigstone

My personal opinion is this. The sandbox mmo gamers is a very small percentage of the gamers community world-wide. It's a small pie that a handful of companies try to eat. It's obvious that when one of them is threatened by the popularity of another, they will resort to unethical ways to prevent their enemies growth. There are always exceptions to this rule, but 90% of the cases is competition between companies.

SOE was clossed from 2010 to 2012 for DDOS 300,000+ personal detils was spread accross the internet, resulting in them having to sell 3 Gaming licences and a $100,000 fine, there reputation was scorned and half a million accounts had to change there details in order to reset there security.

DDOS - Distributed Denial of Service, mostly from implanted Trojans which targets & comprimises multiple systems of which

aims at a specific sysytem causing a denial of service, victims of a ddos are often controlled maliciously by a hacker (or attempt)

this causes trafic flooding and the only way to end this attack is to pinpoint a single ip address from potentially hundreds of

The point is, if this is what any random person can do cause such a problem that the game servers become unsafe to open

up to people playing then what guarentee do we have that our personal Details and account information is even safe?

I don't know where you copy & pasted this from but it makes you look like a fool. It's old and it has nothing to do with your personal accounts being safe or unsafe. I'll take you are trolling and want to cause drama. And SOE being DDoSed with SOE being hacked and having credit cards numbers leaked are two different incidents. They are not connected, I suggest you read your sources more carefully.

@Gavin

Ovh is offering it for free for their customers. Which really doesnt say much cause hosting all the wurm servers in ovh might cost even more than buying a mitigation service.

Edited by Issle
  • Like 1

I bet it is doughboy after the lawsuit didnt work out.

Can I as my 10,000 converted to red dragon scale and sleep powder please.

Edited by Suntzu
  • Like 4

Target had credit card info stolen recently, both my colleges have had security breaches resulting in stolen emails/passwords and phone numbers. This happens in the world, not just in Wurm. Yes, someone could, in theory steal our Wurm passwords, spend your silver recklessly and maybe get your toon suspended, but our money issues are handled elsewhere, mostly through Paypal. Which BTW, has been compromised as well. It's a big scary world. Fear-mongering does not help anyone.

Edited by NeeNee
  • Like 2

Why would i want to cause drama on a game i enjoy playing?

Im just as shocked to see this as any other wurm player,

i find these attacks applaing people/companies go to such length just because the

economy is messed up, im thankfull wurm is doing what it can to fix the prob.

I bet u its a differ gaming company causing probs to divert online gamers into its own

flooding.

Implying that the responsible of this may be some big company like SOE?

I heard many people talking about a person putting messages in one or more of the game's global channels regarding taking down Wurm. There are logs of all the channels saved in the computer, more specifically in the <wurm folder>"/players/"<player name>"/logs" .

Maybe check again and copy it here. It might not be relevant information, but at least you get some entertainment until tomorrow at noon. ;)

Go ahead, would be fun to read.

Hey! Do you know that this is a game made and maintain by a small company with a limited capital to keep it going?

I knew where I putting myself into the first time I prem'ed.

SOE was clossed from 2010 to 2012 for DDOS 300,000+ personal detils was spread accross the internet, resulting in them having to sell 3 Gaming licences and a $100,000 fine, there reputation was scorned and half a million accounts had to change there details in order to reset there security.

SOE was cracked open, AND DDos'ed.

I think you are mixing up both things.

For DDos you don't much but rent a couple of botnets, its cheap and relatively effective, for the later you need some more serious dosh on your pocket and a group of people that really know their stuff.

I agree that its probably a different company and if thats a case certainly not a big name lol. What I meant is that a big company can defend itself cause of the money, a small one can't do it easily. Which is why smaller companies eat each other by such ways. But someone being able to perform a ddos or even worse, buy a botnet from the internet underworld doesn't mean he can hack in the servers and steal your passwords ...

Edited by Issle

Target had credit card info stolen recently, both my colleges have had security breaches resulting in stolen emails/passwords and phone numbers. This happens in the world, not just in Wurm. Yes, someone could, in theory steal our Wurm passwords, spend your silver recklessly and maybe get your toon suspended, but our money issues are handled elsewhere, mostly through Paypal. Which BTW, has been compromised as well. It's a big scary world. Fear-mongering does not help anyone.

Its not possible to do any ingame edits like spend your silver etc from ddos becasue the servers are denied access so there not

running/streaming, however you do have to submit your details upon account creation of which sits inside company database