Sign in to follow this  
Seara

Servers offline from a DDOS attack.

Is anyone else randomly checking the launcher to see if the game works before they get a chance to update the news like I am? lol

• Like 2

Nope, just checking the forums a lot before heading off to bed. It will be 3am when it's noon in Sweden :P

Will be 4 am here. And I have errands to do in the morning, so my inability to play will be extended a few hours, lol.

I feel sorry for Rolf and the team.

From what i got to play of the update (used the new crafting window, made 5 large crates, ship transporter with which i moved 2 sailboats into my mine without any problems and halfway through a wagon) it seemed really smooth.

Lighting inside caves around lamps themselves was a bit brighter, but still just as dark outside the lamps range.

All in all it was a very nice update that from my view seemed to go really well.

For this to happen a few hours afterwards is such a kick in the teeth to all the hard work the team put into implementing and testing.

If i lived in Sweden i would have been round to the office with some beers for you all.

So i'd like to say:-  Well done to Rolf and the Team, please don't let this get you too down, and remember , we have a community here that while it may rage at times, loves the game a ton and misses it hugely when it isn't able to be played.

• Like 12

I feel sorry for Rolf and the team.

From what i got to play of the update (used the new crafting window, made 5 large crates, ship transporter with which i moved 2 sailboats into my mine without any problems and halfway through a wagon) it seemed really smooth.

Lighting inside caves around lamps themselves was a bit brighter, but still just as dark outside the lamps range.

All in all it was a very nice update that from my view seemed to go really well.

For this to happen a few hours afterwards is such a kick in the teeth to all the hard work the team put into implementing and testing.

If i lived in Sweden i would have been round to the office with some beers for you all.

So i'd like to say:-  Well done to Rolf and the Team, please don't let this get you too down, and remember , we have a community here that while it may rage at times, loves the game a ton and misses it hugely when it isn't able to be played.

I agree. I was able to play for about an hour before it happened. I really enjoyed what I was able to see.

A lot of people have zero idea what a DDoS is, here read this for some info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Resetting your router is not going to help. 

Just like *alot* of people have no idea how the internet really works. In that if a hosting provider has a customer that is under a ddos attack to the point it is affecting their other infrastructure and customers, turning off the targeted devices (IP's) is not going to mitigate the attack. They have to go to their hosts and have them null route the IP addresses, or possibly depending on their address block and relationship with their provider advertise a null route via bgp. (Not likely due to the current size of the ipv4 tables, and it could take weeks to have the changes accepted upstream.)

A better solution instead of null routing a set of IP addresses would be to create a set of ACLs that drops the ddos traffic a few hops upstream, and hopefully would allow normal wurm traffic through. That all depends on the attack type of coarse. For instance the attacker could be generating very specific tcp packets to look very much like wurm traffic, designed to make the sever(s) respond with a legitimate response. This would eat traffic not only inbound but out, very bad for the servers and host. Much easier if its just a random tcp packet and payload sent to the server, have an upstream noc run the routes through a statefull firewall and presto no more ddos. Hardly ever that easy though. 

Could play the wackamole game too, push an update to the servers and clients to change all the ports, and ACL all the old ones upstream. This would turn into a who is more agile, wurm devs and upstream providers or the attackers.

My pain point is this, pushing an announcement saying "we are under an attack, nothing to do until it stops" Is dumb. But what is far dumber in my opinion, is offering a bounty. (Unless the attackers try to collect it :-) Switching providers isn't going to stop this in the future. Hire a network engineer to consult, talk to them about GSLB, and alternate operation centers. (i hate the word "cloud", but is applies) Talk to them about using cloud providers in different parts of the world, if not as normal operating procedure, but at least as an outage mitigation.

• Like 2

Anybody who doesn't actually understand how ddosing works shouldn't be speculating about it in this thread. Any assumption that you're making about the issue is almost definitely wrong. You're just giving the rest of us a massive headache.

I sympathize with the devs here and Im really looking forward to seeing the new update.

• Like 2

Is anyone else randomly checking the launcher to see if the game works before they get a chance to update the news like I am? lol

Yes, it is very likely that they resolve the problems at 6am local time.

Oh, wait. No.

I know it won`t be fixed that early, but it gives me something to do, lol.

It's tied to the worldwide DDOS attacks all this week. Seems they finally bounced and hit the server hosting Wurm....the group behind it is pretty public about it....I hope they get caught for it too, idiots who point out and say they did it are bound to make a mistake in targeting the wrong server at the wrong time. Wurm wasn't alone in being taken down because of it either, just happens to hit us during the update day which sucks....but yeah they're targeting all over (mostly European areas from the map thingy I seen of the attacks that were 'huge attacks').

Wurmian Trivia for 10s please.

Who was the founder of Silver City? xP

It's tied to the worldwide DDOS attacks all this week. Seems they finally bounced and hit the server hosting Wurm....the group behind it is pretty public about it....I hope they get caught for it too, idiots who point out and say they did it are bound to make a mistake in targeting the wrong server at the wrong time. Wurm wasn't alone in being taken down because of it either, just happens to hit us during the update day which sucks....but yeah they're targeting all over (mostly European areas from the map thingy I seen of the attacks that were 'huge attacks').

Excuse me, what? No

I know who is probably responsible for DDoSing Wurm servers. It is

ÐSSÐОLЕ

• Like 1

where is this news?

lol yeah if that's the ongoing they just need to shut down Chicago LOL biggest cluster 

but yeah what I saw was on a news site that was talking about one massive linked DDOS attack in European regions. But who knows how much of that is true "news tends to "exaggerate" on many occasions". But if so then it's linked between the ones that's been bouncing around hitting bigger servers.