Sign in to follow this  
Seara

Servers offline from a DDOS attack.

It's 2:19 am in sweden right now - the timezone is GMT+1 (like my time)

Just do something with your spare time ^^

I logged into the test server and was killed instantly by some jerk camping the newb spawn point.  Respawned and was killed again.  Totally pointless.

I have to say, the most likely causes of an attack are 1) disgruntled banned player. or 2) feeble attepts to stock up on SB for the wagon builds.

As such, in case it's #2 i Seriously think that NO SB should be awarded for this downtime cos it'll just incite more attacks.

just extend premiums and upkeep.  this is the one occasion where i feel SB reimbursment would be counter-productive.

Edited by JDBooker
  • Like 4

Im sorry. I also tried to make a new account to try and go into the test server but the register page of the website is down for some reason as well.

I have resorted to watching failed videos on you tube about how other player have built up their kingdoms for my fix today.

As a fellow game developer, my support and sympathy goes out to the devs. They must be devastated for such a thing to happen on this of all days - a day which was meant to be an explosion of excitement, relief and the reward of seeing players enjoy the content you'd been slaving over day and night. Even small issues in releasing an update can cause developers a lot of stress and agony, let alone for something like this to happen. 

It's a small team which makes the most addictive MMO currently out there. Let's try and be supportive, patient and most of all thankful for giving us this great game. A good thing to do meanwhile is fantasize about all the stuff we can do with the new goodies coming our way!

(Nice job on the crafting GUI and maps btw!)

Edited by Malena
  • Like 8

Don't worry about it guys. Rolf already said that we would not lose premium time over it. He has always tried to do the best he can by us, even though there are people who are never happy no matter what he does. I don't know why someone would do this or what they get out of it (besides getting off the only way they possibly can since this is likely the only attention they get), and it doesn't really matter. We will be offline *likely a day* from the sounds of it. I'm sure we will live.

I have to say, the most likely causes of an attack are 1) disgruntled banned player. or 2) feeble attepts to stock up on SB for the wagon builds.

As such, in case it's #2 i Seriously think that NO SB should be awarded for this downtime cos it'll just incite more attacks.

just extend premiums and upkeep.  this is the one occasion where i feel SB reimbursment would be counter-productive.

I will back you up on that one! I completely agree with every single word!!

I have 2 prime suspects, you are offering a reward but do we get access to any logs or other evidence, and are you doing anything at all to try and get the individual(s) responsible caught and charged?

Chat logs? They are on your computer if that is what you are talking about. I hope you do know who did it. Or someone else. This is just wrong to do to such a great game.

For each day game is down, codeclubAB is still paying employees while they are not getting money for that day. And with premium compensations that means two days they got no revenue: the down day and the compensation day. No sane company will pretend they are attacked by ddos so it took a day or more to get the server back up... and however unstable previous wurm updates are, they always try to get it back up in few hours because this revenue lost they are aware. No reason for wurm to fake a ddos.

@Trepida: I was at my boat when the attacks happen, it lag me out for a minute, killing me as a drake spirit easily chasing me while my boat refuse to move. Even able to respawn and walk before the server down.

• Like 5

DDOS - Distributed Denial of Service, mostly from implanted Trojans which targets & comprimises multiple systems of which

aims at a specific sysytem causing a denial of service, victims of a ddos are often controlled maliciously by a hacker (or attempt)

this causes trafic flooding and the only way to end this attack is to pinpoint a single ip address from potentially hundreds of

thousands, this can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.

Yes... i know exactly what a DDOS is..

The point is, if this is what any random person can do cause such a problem that the game servers become unsafe to open

up to people playing then what guarentee do we have that our personal Details and account information is even safe?

I don't know where you copy & pasted this from but it makes you look like a fool. It's old and it has nothing to do with your personal accounts being safe or unsafe. I'll take you are trolling and want to cause drama. And SOE being DDoSed with SOE being hacked and having credit cards numbers leaked are two different incidents. They are not connected, I suggest you read your sources more carefully.

@Gavin

Ovh is offering it for free for their customers. Which really doesnt say much cause hosting all the wurm servers in ovh might cost even more than buying a mitigation service.

This line of topic was motivating enough to make me finally make me register on the forums so firstly, hello everyone! Secondly, after being so fortunate to have Brigstone on my server and a few run ins with him in chat, I can vouch that that he is the fool he seems. Sometimes it's easy to imagine someone who seems beyond stupid is trolling, unfortunately in this case, it just is not so.

Edited by PinktheEbil

I'll back this one.  My Chr was already asleep in bed.  Put him to bed before the update, went to bed myself, when I came back to Wurm the next day I couldn't login, so maybe(just maybe, even though time is frozen in Wurm) he still wakes up with a day and half SB anyway, 1 1/2hrs SB is good enough for me :)

And ya, I know it's likly I only gets the 25-30mins of SB he would have gained before the servers went down from the attack.

Edited by Greyfox
  • Like 1

I was all "I can deal with this, I don't need wurm" and now, now Wurm, Wurm please come back!

• Like 1

i hope its up soon.im about to go out and buy a lego set to get my wurm fix :P

• Like 1

i hope its up soon.im about to go out and buy a lego set to get my wurm fix :P

You can do more cool stuff with Mechano.

I'm having Wurm withdrawals.... :blink: Hope this is a lesson learned and the game switches servers soon..

Well this sucks, after not being able to play except for about 3 days in the last 2 weeks due to 2 bouts of the flu, I come back today to the surprise of the update being up but the dismay of not being able to play due to DDOS.  Personally I think they could solve this whole little criminal league of kindergarten wannabes by invoking the immediate death penalty to anyone caught launching a DDOS attack.  Would be fitting if when they launch, UPS immediately delivers 1 coffin with a piping hot bullet to their front door.  Same goes for the hackers of bank accounts, phishing scammers, email spammers, telemarketers, and those little chinese bastids that keep spoofing my caller id and trying to act like they are Microsoft calling regarding my pc having a virus that is currently downloading massive data when i am looking at it sitting there turned off, oh and i guess we can add anyone that actually falls for that stupid crap and lets them have remote access to their computer lol.

Seriously tho, hope the game is back up soon and the little dweebs are caught.  Parents remember, stuff like this is what happens when you allow WoW to be your unattended babysitter.

For each day game is down, codeclubAB is still paying employees while they are not getting money for that day. And with premium compensations that means two days they got no revenue: the down day and the compensation day. No sane company will pretend they are attacked by ddos so it took a day or more to get the server back up... and however unstable previous wurm updates are, they always try to get it back up in few hours because this revenue lost they are aware. No reason for wurm to fake a ddos.

@Trepida: I was at my boat when the attacks happen, it lag me out for a minute, killing me as a drake spirit easily chasing me while my boat refuse to move. Even able to respawn and walk before the server down.

I am sorry to hear that I just noted that I had no lag and I always lag heheh.  As for the fakeing a DDOS attack I never thought it was WURM but rather their IP provider that was not ready for the demand and when things started locking up and crashing it was simpler to blame an attack in hope of averting the blame from them and in so doing keeping their customers that would not trust them in the future if they failed to meet expected increases in demand.  None of the IP providers customers would blame them for a DDOS attack but would if it was do to afailure to be prepared on their part.