Sign in to follow this  
Seara

Servers offline from a DDOS attack.

so many years was nothing and now come this

i say that was the programer or the programmer have open a door for his friends what have make than the attack

DDOS doesn't require a back door. It just floods the target server with more connections than it can handle.

They are generally carried out by BotNets and/or by exploiting weaknesses in standard server protocols like NTP and ICMP. You basically send a small request to an NTP server, giving it Wurms' host IP address instead of your own. The Server then sends its response (which is bigger than your request was) to the IP provided. The result is that you send small amounts of data in requests, and your target receives much larger amounts of data in unsolicited responses. 

This also means that tracing it to the original IP is difficult...it's not as if Wurms' hosts can just look at their connection log and say "Oh hey, there are millions of connection attempts per second all coming from this same IP address...that's our guy!". The clue is in the name DISTRIBUTED Denial of Service attack.

Can devs provide ip's of the ddos initiating computers?

How  big is the bootnet in this case?

Is it from one region or wide spread?

Was the backbone provider informed about this situation and tried blocking the ips?(Dont know our server provider policy on that but not only wurm is DDosed and usually core backbone providers are helpful in dealing with that ...)

This is a type of game a lot of geeks play and in some cases maybe some helpful info can by provided by them to help with this situation.

• Like 1

So someone was unhappy that the update went so well.

Luv the update!!

• Like 1

Ouch......down for at least a day it looks like, Well luckly I've got EQNL and soon banished to play....and titanfall beta. :/  Oh well, no wagons for me today T_T

Anyhow, Thank's Devs for the great update, even if we can't play it right now.  It looks amazing! this will just fuel my anticipation!

just move the hosting now they have been bad anyway with stalls and hiccups 

just move the hosting now they have been bad anyway with stalls and hiccups 

I doubt it's that easy to move. (then again, maybe its not?)

they already said they were looking at doing it just as well do it now

i see server wil me one tomorrow 19 feb :( i still w8 and go do other game when wurm back and i hope i have my transporter 

changing servers isn't that simple to just do in a hour or two, plus they are exploring the options of moving host , it's not something you blindly do

DDOS doesn't require a back door. It just floods the target server with more connections than it can handle.

They are generally carried out by BotNets and/or by exploiting weaknesses in standard server protocols like NTP and ICMP. You basically send a small request to an NTP server, giving it Wurms' host IP address instead of your own. The Server then sends its response (which is bigger than your request was) to the IP provided. The result is that you send small amounts of data in requests, and your target receives much larger amounts of data in unsolicited responses. 

This also means that tracing it to the original IP is difficult...it's not as if Wurms' hosts can just look at their connection log and say "Oh hey, there are millions of connection attempts per second all coming from this same IP address...that's our guy!". The clue is in the name DISTRIBUTED Denial of Service attack.

Last weeks I saw some articles on one of such NTP DDOS attacks with 200-400gb/s if something like that hit Wurm then a very dark time is coming.

I just can say DDOS will never stop, invest in this http://www.link11.de/en/index.html great solution for at least the next 20 years. A new hosting company will not stop them, same things will happen as long as there is no DDOS protection in front of our servers.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

Whelp...thats all the wagons and crates we're getting today folks :'(

DDoSing should be punishable by castration...with a rusty spoon!

whole family agrees here.

Aghghughuhg the one day I had off from University to play!  :(

(Tomorrow two big exams and then I'm out at 10pm+)

Buh. I didnt even get to try out the crafting system. 

I find it odd that a DDoS attack would happen right after a major update.  Wouldn't it be more likely that people are using the update as a reason to come back to the game, which could result in a DDoS-like sharp increase in traffic?

DDoS traffic is different than normal peak traffic. DDoS packets are usually all the same and they come as a constant influx, while normal packets are different.

Why not get 64 bit Java o.O?

I did a bit ago, works better for most things.

yup and use a 64 bit browser like Waterfox...the 64 bit variant of firefox...I love it.

I find it odd that a DDoS attack would happen right after a major update.  Wouldn't it be more likely that people are using the update as a reason to come back to the game, which could result in a DDoS-like sharp increase in traffic?

Well if a million new people wanted to connect to the servers all at once then we would have the same effect but come on how high is the chance for that?

Edited by Sklo:D

It is very time consuming, seeing as they said new servers I can only imagine that they are planning on exporting the current servers to a virtual environment(assuming they aren't already virtual servers) which if they don't move the physical servers to the new hosting facility to do that and just attempt a virtualization in place amd then transfer the virt server files accross the internet to the new hosting facility, that would take a fair amount of time as you would have to be very meticulous in your planning. And that is assuming that the virtualization attempt doesn't fail, in which case they would have to troubleshoot the problem and then fix it just to create a virtual out of the bare-metal environment. Then once they create the virtual they need to get it up and running on the new hyper-v server which they would probably only be able to do one virtual per physical server as the wurm servers must be very resource intensive. I would say two virtuals per server at max but even then that seems unlikely.

Edited by Telvanni