Sign in to follow this  
Seara

Servers offline from a DDOS attack.

I find it odd that a DDoS attack would happen right after a major update.  Wouldn't it be more likely that people are using the update as a reason to come back to the game, which could result in a DDoS-like sharp increase in traffic?

Not on a level that would cause a hosting company to quarantine a server cluster from a network. I work for a company that provides hosting and normally we inquire about increased traffic before cutting someone off. Also a ddos level attack is very noticeably different from an influx of players.

And here i decided to log on again after some time. Ha. Timing.

What idiot does ddos attacks to a game like wurm anyways, there is no competition to lure people to and generally i cannot imagine anyone who could profit from this.

So the only conclusion left is that some sexually confused person is jerking off to our angry posts here. Ohwell...whatever gives you joy i guess...

It was definitely not a random hit.....so gotta be someone with massive recent conflict in the game.

• Like 1

Why does ###### like this always happen on my day off from work.

lol I know the feeling xP the days I don't have college homework is the days I can't log in =(

• Like 1

The one thing this makes me realize is how much I love this stupid game... I am actually pissed off that I can't play... it's been a long, long time since I cared enough about a game to have a service outage generate that kind of feel.

So... for what it's worth, thanks Devs/Community... I guess I can go read the wiki or something.

• Like 6

Unreal! I thought this was some kind of a joke when I saw a link to this in another locked post. Wasn't there a dos attack with the last large update as well? Would have thought steps would have been taken to prevent this in the future after that experience. Anyway, good to hear that Rolf & Co are attempting to arrange hosting services in Germany, as those persons have a reputation of being excellent in advancing technology and structuring of processes. Hopefully servers will be moved there soon.

Sounds like some disgruntled former Wurm contributor taking out their frustrations. Too bad they are given some affirmation with this success. Matters little in the scheme of things though since there are plenty of other options online to keep one occupied in the interim.

*yawns*

=Ayes=

• Like 1

well this really sucks cause i just paid for premium on 2 accounts, Which in turn we all lose out on prem, this really blows

They surely will give you the premium time you lost.

Not on a level that would cause a hosting company to quarantine a server cluster from a network. I work for a company that provides hosting and normally we inquire about increased traffic before cutting someone off. Also a ddos level attack is very noticeably different from an influx of players.

yeah no doubt noticeable. Increased traffic doesn't effect things that badly, at worst case it causes lag and that's about it.

dam i whas happy new update and make new thinks transpoter and other thinks dam stupid people do DDOS Atack :( come on go Atack other Game Or Something PFFFF Why Wurm

• Like 1

May this serve as a lesson to all ladies present, when the day comes:  Breastfeed your kids and show them love while they grow up or........ *points to DDoS'ing script kiddy, aka lamer*

• Like 6

Everyone take this time to update the WIKI!!!!! :D

No lol... 

i'll sit here reading these and cooking food haha XD

The one thing this makes me realize is how much I love this stupid game... I am actually pissed off that I can't play... it's been a long, long time since I cared enough about a game to have a service outage generate that kind of feel.

So... for what it's worth, thanks Devs/Community... I guess I can go read the wiki or something.

Wurm is that great of a game....it's a real shame people do this to try and make it look bad, Excellent community and great GM's/devs who do everything they can during times like these to get it situated.

• Like 4

;O    

We can offer 10 000 Euro for any tips or evidence leading to a conviction of the person responsible for this attack.

• Like 4

Wurm is that great of a game....it's a real shame people do this to try and make it look bad, Excellent community and great GM's/devs who do everything they can during times like these to get it situated.

Need more of them to come online and read pm's though lol :D 

trying to help and its hindered by RL lol

I guess i will go in the big room with the bright yellow thing for a while :(

• Like 2

I guess i will go in the big room with the bright yellow thing for a while :(

I'm ashamed it took me two read throughs to understand what you meant lol

;O    

We can offer 10 000 Euro for any tips or evidence leading to a conviction of the person responsible for this attack.

my reward lol Sass already told em I did it >.> I hired thugs who were programmers so they programmed it 

i know who do that....  notch :D

he dont wana 1.2 update... becose minecraft looose so many ppls now 

• Like 3

Does anyone know, how long will the servers be down? Hours, days, weeks?

Was a nice update. Had no trouble with it, and was having fun hauling furniture over to my house from abandoned deeds and all. A shame this had to happen :(

said in in 2 other posts,will mention it here-a few weeks back for a few weeks was a guy making multiple alts to spam channels with some link to a wurm hack site for macros.stated he wanted wurm crashed.hoping some mod or gm remembers and can go see.the guy got sniped for sure,and youll have his isp address.he plainly stated he wanted to crash wurm and see it die

• Like 1

Does anyone know, how long will the servers be down? Hours, days, weeks?

Was a nice update. Had no trouble with it, and was having fun hauling furniture over to my house from abandoned deeds and all. A shame this had to happen :(

probably hours or minutes

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq6D2H_PGZA 

This is what happened.....the DDOSer overfed the server hamster o.o

• Like 5

probably hours or minutes

Last time it was 3 days....lets hope it don't last that long this time, please only be a couple hours!!