Sign in to follow this  
Arronicus

Wagons, speed?

However, by that same token my Ford F350 has a 7.3 Diesel engine that could literally pull a house, but would be hard pressed at best to keep up speed wise with my tiny 2 wheel drive car.  It's a trade-off.  

Yeah, that's a power to weight ratio thing also there's engine efficiency issues, as well as wheel base, grip, and a sh*t ton of power loesses from the energy created by the engine to the one transmited by the wheels to the ground.

In this case the "engine efficiency" is more or less the same, just need to look at power to weight. And since large carts don't seem to have more than twice the weight, but have twice the available power, then you'd get more speed.

But overall trying to compare mechanical engines to horse-driven things is a bit weird, since mechanical components are hugely inneficient, and most of the potential energy in the fuel or generated by the engine even is lost way before it reaches the wheels.

Adding more horses does mean it will be faster, it just means each horse is pushing less of the weight.  In fact, they would be limited to the top speed of the slowest horse in the team.

Just sayin'

Having to pull less weight means that the horses can go faster, yeah? Also people are probably testing wagons with THE SAME horses as they test carts, so the slowest horse should be the same. And given that, maybe, you're wrong, just sayin'.

Adding more horses does mean it will be faster, it just means each horse is pushing less of the weight.  In fact, they would be limited to the top speed of the slowest horse in the team.

Just sayin'

If this was the case, mine would be going 4.5 km/hr faster than now.

I hope it will, my only gripe is that none in my village has high enough fine carpentry to make one.

I spent parts of a few evenings imping many leggats (and some barrels) over and over and over to get the fine carp to build em as soon as I found out the FC req on test server =)

Not to mention when it does make some sense, I was a bit surprised at first when I read it was faster... It makes sense for something with more horses to go faster, but not when it's loaded with 10x more items. Heh.

Either way, it will help a lot for transporting.

3x more items.

Anyway, changes happen, a little disappointed that they were slowed down quite this much, hopefully it will be revised and lessened (the speed difference between them and large carts), but thankyou for adding them still. 

• Like 1

Hitting some of the bumps in this game north of 20km/h with a full load of rock shards would realistically be catastrophic to horse, drive, and wagon... so I guess count our blessings?

Well, it does make sense because trade ships were very important back then before the time of steam boat and railroad age. When railroad came into the picture, people weren't using wagon. They were using railroad.

I don't believe wagon was meant to be faster than large cart. But, the fact that it can haul more loads than large cart is a godsend to what we hope for.

Edited by Tobeornottobe

I hope it will, my only gripe is that none in my village has high enough fine carpentry to make one.

I'm a general carpenter, and I still can't make a wagon or large crate.  I'm very close to being able to though.  

I have some general carpentry skill, but mostly I do mining, smithing and farming. 
But I can't make the braziers either since they use the only smithing skill I have ignored (jewelry). Not that it matters, since I have neither gold or copper at hand.

I have some general carpentry skill, but mostly I do mining, smithing and farming. 

But I can't make the braziers either since they use the only smithing skill I have ignored (jewelry). Not that it matters, since I have neither gold or copper at hand.

Jewelry smithing, I'd have thought it would be blacksmithing or something heh.

I didn't think there were gold ones? From the art patch notes:

• Marble and Copper Braziers are now live

I was having 4 5 speed horses, one was without gear, 3 was around 70-80 gears, woa of course +60, but ye it will go 17 on leveled road. enough speed for me :).

But they also have twice the horsepower, litterally...

Looking at materials they don't seem to have more than twice the weight of a large cart, so why is it slower. Makes sense its slower with 2 horses, but with 4, should be as fast or faster.

Twice the horse power but carry 3x the weight!

if it was twice horsepower and double weight they should be same speed, but as its 3x the weight they should be slower.

Beside, they have a significant advantage and minor disadvantage... they no reason why wagon should make Large Cart Obsoleate.

Bottom line, Large Cart good for generally handiwork, and Wagons for long Haul.... the way it should be.

Jewelry smithing, I'd have thought it would be blacksmithing or something heh.

I didn't think there were gold ones? From the art patch notes:

• Marble and Copper Braziers are now live

It's the brazier bowls that use jewelry, and copper for the small one and gold for the marble.

I am disheartened at the lowered speed.  I guess large carts will still have a place in my heart.  Also shame on you guys for not leveling up fine carpentry in preparation.  Luckily my town needed wine barrels and I was more than happy to oblige.