Sign in to follow this  
Kazin

Quickest 1-70 Fighting Skill Grind Time?

For a new player.  For the 2s they get with first premium, they can buy 60+ql studded leather and a 60+ql weapon (no enchants). 

Ride either a horse or wagon (I know wagon is supposed to reduce CR but it doesnt seem to reduce much and it is worth the ability to ride away from bad situations).  Have alot of cotton on hand (again nice with wagon).

Learn what mobs to target and which to avoid.  Should be able to get all the way to 70 killing mobs that give .1-.3 FS per kill.  Early on these mobs are cat/rats/lions, above 20ish then they are bears/spiders/hell horses until 50ish, unicorns until 70.  Colored mobs can greatly help with FS.  Sometimes fighting mobs above your level will result in lower FS gains than killing mobs at your level, again learn which are which.

So for a completely new player that has just premiumed, and read this.  I would say they can get 70 FS easily in a week of 2hrs/day of decent hunting. 

Everything else that has been above is also true, can be done much much faster.  Better gear is better and Life Transfer is awesome for hunting.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 18, 2014 - Removed - Off topic
Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 18, 2014 - Removed - Off topic

###### chill dude, what new players can't go to a merchant and buy a lt weapon, and anyway you look at it what's been suggested is the fastest way to grind fs

Your assuming they can, just ask any new guy that cant use rl money to fund there in game items and see how long it takes them to get to 70fs.

You can scream chill as much as you like, 8hrs is still a joke, bit like your attempts at asking me to chill.    :P  

I got pretty confused these last few threads, so I will now post how I think? You want it to look

step 1: Spawn
Step 2: Die to a rat
Step 3: Die getting you body, to the rat
Step 4: Run around, Die
Step 5: Abandon your Body
Step 6: Join a village
Step 7: Die getting to said village
Step 8: Join Village, Get 21 BC

Step 9: Get a 80ql plate set
Step 10: Buy or borrow a LT Sword
Step 11: Go to a desert, Murder everything
Step 12: 70FS

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 18, 2014 - Removed - Off topic
Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 18, 2014 - Removed - Off topic

Your assuming they can, just ask any new guy that cant use rl money to fund there in game items and see how long it takes them to get to 70fs.

You can scream chill as much as you like, 8hrs is still a joke, bit like your attempts at asking me to chill.    :P  

It's not an assumption new player get 2s first time they prem up so they don't need to use rl money, if your gonna argue this wrong least get your facts right.  Using plate and a LT weapon IS the fastest way to gain fs.  Just cos you weren't able to do it as quick doesn't mean its a joke 

Thread cleaned.

This is for assistance to players that need help, NOT for arguing and sniping at each other.

Take it to PMs if you wish to continue your debate.

Edited by Shrimpiie
  • Like 1

I've murdered nearly everything on the steppes at least thrice a day for a month now and am only at 65 FS. I spend more time hunting on Wurm than I should. And yes, I've tried only killing the monsters that give the most skill. There practically aren't enough monsters on the server to gain that much FS in a day. The best skill gain I've got from monsters is around 0.2. You'd have to kill 350 monsters that happen to be near your combat rating to get to level 70. If you kill a monster a minute maybe you could get that in 5-6 hours. At low levels though you're going to have to recover after each fight. You're going to spend the first 20 levels fleeing from spiders. Then the next 30 fleeing from trolls, hell hounds, and lava fiends. Not to mention crocodiles. So that probably cuts your chances of killing a monster per minute to zilch even if you're hunting in the desert or steppes. And even if you DO manage to kill a monster a minute most of them are likely to be way above or below your CR, which means they'll only give around 0.01 fight skill. You'll also spend more time recovering and running than you will fighting at the early levels even with an LT weapon. Not to mention waiting on creature respawns. Considering other players also might like to hunt, you might ride out to the steppes/desert just to find a bunch of corpses laying around. That adds a couple more hours to the grind itself. If it was so easy, you wouldn't have premiums that have played for years and still only have 15 FS. Everyone who had played this game for a month would have 99 FS by now. I have the Fo priest healing abilities, and an LT weapon, and even with the advantage of instantly being able to recover all my health, and wearing steel plate armor that makes hell hound bites to my crotch tickle, I literally couldn't find enough monsters to grind my fighting skill up to 70 in such a short amount of time. Monsters don't just march at you in order from low combat rating to high in a single file line, waiting their turn to be slaughtered without resisting, in endless supply. You might target a rat, and halfway through the battle realize four hell hounds jumped you from behind at the same time. Then you have to walk naked for an hour or two dodging spiders and hell hounds and crocodiles with limited stamina to get your gear and horse back from an area where guard towers are sparse..  My advice is to just focus on surviving rather than how fast you can grind your fight skill up. Practice on wildcats and mountain lions near your home until you can take wolves. Then kill wolves til you can kill bears. Then kill bears til you can kill spiders. When you can kill a spider without a meatshield, THEN you might be ready to go do some serious hunting. Until then, stay close to guard towers or spirit templars. 

• Like 1

can take 5 hours can take 2 weeks.. it depends on the spawns and how many people are out huntin

That 65 to 70 zone can be pretty tough, alot of mobs that were giving good gains, are not quite as good then.  After 70 the gains are dramatically slower for everything.

Getting to 70 as fast as possible can be more about avoiding some mobs than killing.  Hell hounds in particular do not seem to be worth the time to kill them because of the potential damage they have inflicted on me on the 5 toons I have raised to 70 skill.  Trolls are best left until after 70 skill.

The steppes can be great hunting, but more for after 70 than before I would say.  Wooded areas give alot of spiders which will be good to 60ish skill as well as unicorns which are good until almost 70.

edit: Might take some flak but I recommend using a wagon while hunting up to 70 skill.  The wiki says you lose some CR but nothing that I noticed much targeting the spiders and unicorns which were my bread and butter mobs.  With a wagon you can always get away regardless of stamina or weight (beware of trolls, they can bash the wagon!).  Also you can carry water, food, and bandages in abundance; as well as all your spoils: meat, body parts, hides.  A wagon let me stay out on very long hunting trips and return home with what I hunted.

Edited by Pollo

honestly

get a good plateset

get a good horse (don't even bother if you don't have 21 body control if you want to do fs in a reasonable amt of time)

get a good LT sword + shield

hunt, kill everything you can kill

your weaponskill should be about 50-60 and shieldskill should be 35-50 by the time you hit 70fs

you can raise the other two and dominate any mob imaginable except a unique in pve and you will be pvp viable once you are 70/70/70

That 65 to 70 zone can be pretty tough, alot of mobs that were giving good gains, are not quite as good then.  After 70 the gains are dramatically slower for everything.

Getting to 70 as fast as possible can be more about avoiding some mobs than killing.  Hell hounds in particular do not seem to be worth the time to kill them because of the potential damage they have inflicted on me on the 5 toons I have raised to 70 skill.  Trolls are best left until after 70 skill.

The steppes can be great hunting, but more for after 70 than before I would say.  Wooded areas give alot of spiders which will be good to 60ish skill as well as unicorns which are good until almost 70.

edit: Might take some flak but I recommend using a wagon while hunting up to 70 skill.  The wiki says you lose some CR but nothing that I noticed much targeting the spiders and unicorns which were my bread and butter mobs.  With a wagon you can always get away regardless of stamina or weight (beware of trolls, they can bash the wagon!).  Also you can carry water, food, and bandages in abundance; as well as all your spoils: meat, body parts, hides.  A wagon let me stay out on very long hunting trips and return home with what I hunted.

I'm finding the best kills for skill between 65-70 FS are lava spiders and crocodiles. And I agree with the last part although I'm using a large cart full of rafts, not a wagon. Hell Hounds can keep up with me but that's not too much of a problem unless more than one of them get after me.  I recommend getting to at least 30 FS and being well equipped before heading to the steppes. Even then you're likely to die if a Hell Hound gets after you. Also, if you get to 70 FS in a day, you are obviously Keanu Reeves, and I'm pretty sure most of us Wurmians don't want to leave this wonderful Matrix. So keep your fancy "I'm the one!" miracle kung fu hacking to yourself. 

Reallistically, you can get from 1 to 70 fight skill in a week. That is if you do NOTHING else. It took me a bit longer because I was concentrating on other skills. 

Firstly,I would suggest getting your Body Control to 21, so you can ride a horse.  A horse is not eessential to hunt or pvp with, but it does give you the opportunity to gtfo of there pdq if things go pear shaped for you.

I have noticed that many people swear by  Life Transfer, a Fo spell that transfers life back to you when your opponent dies. Now,. this is very nice but not everyone has access to it or can afford it. It's an expensive enchant to have casted upon your weapon of choice.

I do recommend Circle of Cunning, an enchant that gives more skill as you use the item. The higher your weapon askill, the easier it will be to use!

I also swear by Nimbleness, an enchant that helps you hit more. 

If possible, get hold of a decent set of armour. Chain or plate are both good, although plate is heavier than chain, therefore it has a greater impact on your walking speed, but is stronger than chainmail. An enchant on armour is, for the purpose of grinding FS, Aura of Shared Pain.

hope this helps, and good luck.

Back when Celebration was at its peak population I still didnt have any issue leveling FS very quickly.  I had a medeocre 2h axe with some crappy chain armor.  I just ran around on my horse murdering everything I knew I could kill and avoiding the stuff I knew would kill me.  Once I upgraded armor a bit and got a decent huge axe it was all cake from there.  That was before the spawn rate increase.

I went from 1 to 70 in a few months but I did a lot of other things.

My hint would be that you need good gear so that you can fight and not run.

In 2014, I did this:

• Offe September 6-7th 2014 38.36-70.54 fs in 10 hours 32 minutes. (32.09 total, 3.0465 fs/hr)
  • Felthanne September 13-14th 2014 24.47-70.12 in 10 hours 21 minutes. (45.65 total, 4.411 fs/hr)

Full scale, enchanted weps, a ton of cotton, and an insane hunting drive.

Oh, and my gear was all ASOP too.

YMMV

Edit: Should also be noted that Offe had smauls and Felt had a 2h sword. And I killed everything from horse back. Smauls have FA, WoA, CoC on them. 2h has nimble, fb, CoC, and MS.

Edited by Felthanne
Clarification.