Sign in to follow this  
Lucias

Realistic Bowyer/Fletcher

Hello, I just wanted give my two cents concerning bow making and archery. I have been shooting a Long bow pretty much all my life and my Father made Long bows profesionally for over twenty years (see Timberline Longbow). To say that Willow is an ideal material for Bow making is highly inacurate at best, sure it may be good for a childs bow but not for hunting or warfare.The reason being that Willow has little memory, meaning it will lose elasticity and power rapidly after it is dry and will not return to it it's intended shape after prolonged use.

Historicly Alder, Oak, Osage, Fir, and Yew (the best in my experience, also see The War at Agincourt) are excellent materials for bow construction combined with sinew and horn for longer life. Doug Fir and Cedar are commonly used for arrows due to the straight grain and density versus weight.

Just thought I would weigh in on the subject because I really love the game concept and am just a stickler for realism.

Thank you,

Lucias

• Like 6

-1 as much as I liked reading this, it would just confuse people.

Willow is just a tiny bonus and people are already used to it.

hmm I kind of agree here......it should be more in lines of whats real....

• Like 1

I like realism too, but changing it at this point would just be a hassle for everyone involved. I'm sure everyone with their hard-earned willow bows would be none to happy if willow was nerfed suddenly to correct a flaw this minor.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

hmm I kind of agree here......it should be more in lines of whats real....

had to.

On topic, Game wise, willow always for some odd reason seems to be the "best bow" type......never understood why. (I personally always thought it was Oak, never heard of Fir being good for it though o.o) still, I don't really care which is / isn't. as long as it works....

Osage is a great wood and so is Yew i dont see why they wouldnt be added in. 

I agree make it more realistic 

+1

Would be nice, but because of the massive amount of already created, enchanted, and rare willow bows I have to -1. I'd hate to log in and find out my bow I worked so hard to get or paid so much for is worthless because a realism update that took 10 years to implement. ;/

Oh, perhaps implement this, and give all willow already created willow bows an option to right click > change wood type to a desired kind.

That might make it acceptable to enough to not have rages over it, but probably still wouldn't be valuable enough for the devs to put the time in for it. (Requires new trees, etc)

• Like 1

I think the bigger thing that could be taken is the use of sinew and/or horn to make a more advance bow.  So a simple short bow is the current system and a mid/long will require additional materials.  I'm not overly interested in the complete accuracy, although that isn't a bad thing, but adding to the depth of the crafting process would not be a bad addition for these items. 

Im for it.

Add in the mentioned tree types, and allow people to do a one time wood type change on their bows.

Variation is nice.

+1

More woods or just more realistic bows.  Either way win/win (says the fo priest who cannot use bows).

Oh, perhaps implement this, and give all willow already created willow bows an option to right click > change wood type to a desired kind.

That might make it acceptable to enough to not have rages over it, but probably still wouldn't be valuable enough for the devs to put the time in for it. (Requires new trees, etc)

I thought point was to make it more realistic :P

Mmm only if such an overhaul consisted of adding more bows, components (bone and glue for example), and not to mention the various advantages and disadvantages.

Old bows could stay in the system, especially if they started to take dmg more often and from a wider range of usage.

The only way I would feel good about this change is

If it is posted with the change

And the wiki promptly updated with the new change

So we can direct everyone to the change

I thought point was to make it more realistic :P

Sure, but you can't just brush off the playerbase's efforts for the 'best bow' for themselves through enchantments, improvements, lucky rare rolls, etc. It would be very uncool of the developers to do something like that to their customers, at the same time though, pushing for an even more in depth and 'realistic' in some cases isn't a terrible thing, so I was suggesting a compromise :)

Just to be clear I was not suggesting nerfing anything, it is merely a suggestion too add depth and realism, did not want to start a war! LOL

I would start by holding the bow with the correct hand.

-1 due to current system working for many years.

but

+1 for some realism.

• Like 1

but

+1 for some realism.

Errr... Isn't the bow already in the correct hand? Though I'd think it'd depend on which hand you used mostly.

+1 to at least adding osage if just for the fruit

Edited by Elen

Errr... Isn't the bow already in the correct hand? Though I'd think it'd depend on which hand you used mostly.

but

+1 for some realism.

Neither. Its based on the way you use your eyes.

if your left eye leads, you hold the bow in your right hand and vica versa.

Gawd - "system working for many years" in a game with ninja nerfs almost weekly?????

Of course these players will, and can handle changes - they had to.

+1 for Oak.

It's already in game.

The other wood types?

Maybe when the last batch are fully in game with their own visuals and proprieties.

There is an archery range right behind the place where I work, and so far everyone Ive seen there uses the left hand to hold the bow, while on Wurm my character holds it with the right hand.

If it was a righty/lefty thing, all stuff should use the left hand instead of the right.

PS: But as someone else mentioned its about wich eye you use to lead and not wich hand you are more dexterous with... this is new to me, but since Im no expert in the subject, Ill go with it.

I use to shoot, haven't lately have been dieing to get back to it. I also use my left hand to hold the bow, (I'm right handed)

I've never heard of the eye thing myself, intact I don't get that? I've once tried shooting the opposite way, bow in right hand... While I'm able to see and everything just as good, it felt completely awkward. I still hit the target easily every shot, but it wasn't "natural" feeling to me. I also noticed pulling back on the string with my left hand made me misjudge how much I was pulling on it also.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1