Sign in to follow this  
Bonegetter

Going nomadic.

every second u are outside in the forest, your deeds suck more upkeep cash

never liked that, but that's just how it is.

Have to pay a price on going nomadic :)

Every second you are inside your deed, your deed sucks more upkeep cash. There's no difference being in the deed, or outside of it. It's not a price to pay lol. its the price of having a deed.

Just wait until gypsy camps start springing up around market hubs and taking over.

1. securing the animals. I haven't had a horse unhitch from a L.cart in months, but bugs do happen. 

2. maybe feeding animals, then again you can just drive slowly over some grass. If your away for a few days it might be an issue.

Other then that a Wagon with crates of resources (iron,clay), rafts + nested containers (or some other non-bulk container) to let you overcome the 100 item limit, forges, beds, water, and tools.

Hmm, We haven't talked about what will happen if someone leaves a supper heavy wagon on your deed. It will be very similar to a moored boat.

Bedrolls would be a great idea. Or tents. The only stipulation I would add here is that once a player who set up a bedroll/tent gets his or her full sleep bonus back, the bedroll would disappear from the ground and pop into his or her inventory. It would work similarly to how beds work, in the sense that once your sleep bonus bar fills, you are kicked out of the bed. The beds, of course, stay where they are, but the bedrolls/tents would have to disappear and move into the inventory, or we would soon have a gazzillion bedrolls all over the place from players who logged out to sleep and quit the game.

Just going to point out that they (AB) have VERY clearly stated, that there will be no portable sleeping mechanics. If you want a portable bed, you're going to need to load planks, nails, and a bed, in your wagon or large cart, put up a 1x1 house, and unload the bed into it. 

• Like 1

Just going to point out that they (AB) have VERY clearly stated, that there will be no portable sleeping mechanics. If you want a portable bed, you're going to need to load planks, nails, and a bed, in your wagon or large cart, put up a 1x1 house, and unload the bed into it. 

And I could point out to you a number of situation where Wurm said something and then community pressure forced something to the contrary. It wouldn't hurt anything to give us ability to sleep in a boat or wagon. 

Community desire should have precedence!

Being able to sleep in wagon beds would be fine, a least as long as it gave less advantage than using a reg bed. Ships equipped with beds too for that matter.

Also theres the possibility of temporary housing. Using the same house permission/construction system, we could have cloth walls and auto roofs to simulate tents. Only real difference is the wall components - made from cloth and shafts (rope and string too?) - can be erected and taken down at will.

Not to mention blanket rolls and other camping paraphenelia.

• Like 1

The only good reason to limit bed use in boats or wagons (limit means either block or make it less effective comparably) is a potential loss of revenue for Wurm. I'm pretty sure Wurm is designed with the idea that a good portion of players will buy shop silver to fund things like deeds. If portable means are just as good why have a deed? 

If your "mobil-home" wagon-camper costs around 1 silver a month it would all work out in the end.

*edit*

The standard wagon would be different then this camper-wagon I'm hinting at. 

Edited by joedobo

I think we can assume that all characters sleep but only a comfortable bed give sleeping bonus.

I now have visions of people travelling all over wurm in covered wagons giving puppet shows to deeds for irons or meals.  

• Like 1

Note: said enclosures clearly can be reusable / made accessible for everyone once the nomadic builder leaves the place.

Klaa, on 18 Feb 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Being able to sleep in wagon beds would be fine, a least as long as it gave less advantage than using a reg bed. Ships equipped with beds too for that matter.

Also theres the possibility of temporary housing. Using the same house permission/construction system, we could have cloth walls and auto roofs to simulate tents. Only real difference is the wall components - made from cloth and shafts (rope and string too?) - can be erected and taken down at will.

Not to mention blanket rolls and other camping paraphenelia.

+1. We already have campfires. Why not tents or bed rolls/sleeping bags?

I love going nomad, I do something like that already with a large cart. I will go outland from my deed for 7-10 days at time just wandering around looking at things. 7 rafts in the large cart and I use one for all my gear, tools, water food etc. I have iron ore, cotton, gate locks, door locks, large nails, small nails iron fence bars... pretty much whatever I could dream of needing. From a previous poster above, I should get another saddle for the other horse.. even tho they are branded. Server reset and all.

I built a little outpost on pristine that has a couple horses and a large cart in the enclosure. I head to my corbita on Release, load up the 7 rafts and when I get to Pristine, offload into the cart up there. Then wander about for a while. I meet a lot of cool people (and some real jerks unfortunately) but the cool people always have seemed to out-weigh the jerks.

Worst part about being nomadic is when you get into the local of the jerks. They tend to freak out if they hear you so much as chopping a tree down in THEIR forest. Can't make kindling without wood though.

Best part is meeting the cool people :D

• Like 1

Caroligan, on 19 Feb 2014 - 7:16 PM, said:

I love going nomad, I do something like that already with a large cart. I will go outland from my deed for 7-10 days at time just wandering around looking at things. 7 rafts in the large cart and I use one for all my gear, tools, water food etc. I have iron ore, cotton, gate locks, door locks, large nails, small nails iron fence bars... pretty much whatever I could dream of needing. From a previous poster above, I should get another saddle for the other horse.. even tho they are branded. Server reset and all.

I built a little outpost on pristine that has a couple horses and a large cart in the enclosure. I head to my corbita on Release, load up the 7 rafts and when I get to Pristine, offload into the cart up there. Then wander about for a while. I meet a lot of cool people (and some real jerks unfortunately) but the cool people always have seemed to out-weigh the jerks.

Worst part about being nomadic is when you get into the local of the jerks. They tend to freak out if they hear you so much as chopping a tree down in THEIR forest. Can't make kindling without wood though.

Best part is meeting the cool people :D

If it's not fenced off in a legal enclosure with an attached house, it's not really THEIR forest... I know that may seem disrespectful, and I know it's annoying when you walk out into your front yard to see some n00b cutting your olive trees so they can put a 3 QL shack up right in front of your house... And I've actually been a jerk myself recently to someone who did that... But then, you probably wasn't cutting young fruit trees just a few tiles away from someone's house for lumber. So I doubt that reaction was called for in that circumstance.

+1 for nomads and some kind of tent. If only to protect you from some animals (no bed, no bonus), it's a great idea.

I would sooo love to see this happen, +1 for bedrolls. Maybe also a hitching post or something to keep animals from escaping?

I once suggested magically animated golem that pull carts. The pro realistic hardship crowd -1 the heck out of it. I still think a draft golem is a good idea. A lot of the problems with Gypsy caravans are dealing with draft animals. Well if you could convert your golem to a crate and store them in the wagon that problem is solved.