Sign in to follow this  
Moonbeam

Perimeters and the role it plays in Wurm

I have been interested in some comments and ideas about the role of perimeters in Wurm, for the most part it seems that people are of the opinion that they are buffer zones and no man's land.  If so, I have a few questions about this (note that these are genuine questions, since I do not understand the inconsistencies in the application of perimeter issues):

1.  Buffer zones between deeds:  If perimeters are buffer zones to stop people having wall to wall deeds, why can anyone build fences in them?  You can build from the edge of the perimeter in your deed all the way around your property, so in effect, you can have wall to wall deeds, perimeter or not. This is a way some players use to take as much land as they can around their actual deed.  This brings along some other questions. Since there is no way of ensuring roads are built through perims, every perimeter can be filled with fences, so the buffer zone is mute.  If someone builds a fence and connects it to a one by one shack just on deed, the whole perimeter is a legal enclosure so cannot be passed or used by other players.  If someone builds a wall right on the edge of your deed say the first tile of the actual perimeter just off your deed's edge, and perhaps encloses your perimeter on one or two sides of your deed, you cannot even build a road over the perimeter around your deed as someone else has made a wall (which in most cases has a house inside of it to make it a legal enclosure).

2.  Protect future expansion rights:  We all pay for a five tile perimeter, and can make it bigger still if we want to expand our deeds in the future.  Say we only get the 5 tile perim:  If someone else has a deed with their perim touching your perim, you basically are not paying for the future right to expand any more.  You can't expand as you cannot have a perim smaller than 5 tiles.  

3.  Property in the perimeter of a specific deed:   I am wondering why we do not have any further protection of our animals and property in the perimeter of our own deed.  If we place animals there, it is clear that these belong to that deed as it is in that perimeter, especially if the animals are branded to that deed.

4. No man's land?   Perimeters are referred to as no man's land, but someone is paying for it, right?  I also know that if you have a tower on your deed and put someone on KOS, your tower guards will protect your perimeter also. The spirit will also protect your deed two tiles into your perimeter.   If this is truly no man's land, why would they bother with this?  You can also not have someone KOS if a highway runs through the perim around your deed, and you have a tower on your deed.  In fact, then, it is not really no man's land.  It influences what you can and cannot do on your deed.  If fact if you own the writ of a house in your deed's perimeter, it won't take faster damage, and further the fences in the perimeter (any fence) do not take faster damage either.  It would seem that the deed owner already has some influence about what happens in the perimeters, and it also influences what you can do on your deed as well.

I would like to understand the role of perimeters and why they are needed or what the goals are, a bit better, in relation to the observations I have made in the post above. This post is in woodscraps because it has nothing to do with wanting to change current game mechanics, it has more to do with wanting to understand the role of perims.

Well, for when i've needed them, it's to keep people out of my local. I like being able to pic and choose who's within my area, so I use Perim to keep others away from my deed.

Sounds like a jerk move, and maybe it is in some cases, but I don't like the people that spam stupid emotes all day long right outside my deed.....thus perim to keep them in there area(s).

• Like 1

On Freedom, towers and it's associated guards are not controlled by your deed or any deeds. They act on their own. Only spirit temps will act on a KOS.

Also buildings and fences inside a perimeter will decay faster than if not inside a perimeter. On top of that, the only person that can place a building inside a perimeter is the mayor of that deeds perimeter. Fences work differently. However the rules prevent someone else from putting a fence all the way around your perimeter as well.

The uses for perimeter vary widely but typically it's to keep a good stand-off distance between you and other people. 

Typically its just a buffer zone for possible future expansion.

The perimeter acts as a buffer zone between deeds, this is mostly to stop cramping in condensed areas by allowing at least 10 tiles between deeds.

You can expand the perimeter if you wish and then you do pay, but that is for the benefit of an increased buffer. A perimeter tile costs a 10th of a deed tile because you do not own the perimeter tile and it is merely to stop others from deeding so close to you, or to claim land for future expansion.

A perimeter will count as no mans land in terms of ownership as it always has and always will, this is tied in the fact its merely a buffer zone. In the perimeter deed rules are not applied - items can be picked up, actions performed and fences bashed. This is why legal enclosures are required, because it is effectively the same land as anywhere else in wurm but only you or an ally can plan a building on it (anyone can build fencing), and increased decay.

Spirit templars will act upon a KOS if you get too close to the deed (within the 2 closest tiles as you stated) Tower guards will not enforce a KOS but join in if the alarm is raised. Planting a 20 tile perimeter will not give you a cheap KOS zone.

There are no inconsistencies with the function and role of the perimeter, it is a buffer zone that is treated like any other land but only a select few can build on it.

Edited by Archaed