Sign in to follow this  
Killroth

Engraving Tool

Please Rolf,

Can you give us the ability to "Engrave" our tools. Unlike Renaming a tool this would be a more permanent engraving and only appear when you examine it. I know there is a makers mark and this is not what i am talking about. An engraving is something else and would provide many advantages.

A) the ability to personalize a weapon or armor. As a gift or own personal momento.

B ) the ability to keep someone from swapping out your weapon with another one. (if they imp it rare etc)

C) Roleplaying aspect.

Example . "The weapon has been engraved. It reads "Who let the dogs out? - Killroth"

It would show name of engraver afterwards so it couldnt be forged or used to harrass someone.

Thank you.

Edit: Would also allow for autographs from famous Wurmians.

Edited by Killroth
  • Like 9

I actually like this. Be nice to see items get some kind of history to them that can't be changed. I once got lost a chainset in PvP and recovered it 2 years later with the same name still on it. Had the name been changed i'd have never known that it was my old set :P Engraving would change that.

• Like 1

I think the "swapping out equipment" part is especially relevant - in PvP situations where you've met your unfortunate demise and your stuff has gotten mixed in with a bunch of loot, etc, it's a nightmare extracting it all without causing confusion and grief. Especially if someone's done a quick rename job, sneaky buggers.

Maybe cut down the workload on implementation by adding the functionality to an existing tool? Pliers, branding iron or something? I'll throw realism to the wind and just imagine they're related to the engraving process. :3

adding the functionality to an existing tool? Pliers, branding iron or something? I'll throw realism to the wind

I'd think something like a chisel to engrave stone and iron items and a carving knife to engrave wooden items or something like that, existing tools + a bit more realism than using a branding iron to engrave your tools xd

But anyway, +1 for engraving from me :)

This sounds like a great idea, I would love to see this. I agree that it would be nice to use a carving tool or chisel dependent on the item. I'd love to see this used in roleplay! :)

~Noob.

Hrm to me engraving would be more along the lines of adding simple or intricate markings to an item, and the engraver would leave their mark as well. The quality and complexity of the engravings could be purely aesthetic; though, it might be tied to an additional bonus by "inspiring" the weilder.

Meh getting alot of bonus stacking, probably need more disadvantages thrown in... Some kind of tradeoff.

Edited by Klaa

+1 to adding The players name, and village, if they are in one, nothing else.

Guess it ends like

"The weapon has been engraved. It reads "0"

anyway looks like nice idea

skill in engraving gives you number of letters or something.

I said in my original post that the engraver would have his name at the end of the engraving. To avoid griefing. also yeah i think it would be cool to put year maybe. but dont see village is necessary.

Also i think it woudl be best to make it like pen and paper. half pen ql half paper ql is how much u can write. so tool + materiel u write on. 

+1 as long as: only the one holding the items can engrave them, and only the owner ( in the case of boats / carts)

Would also let a lot of people who make rare items make them extra special this way :D