Sign in to follow this  
Battlepaw

Gameplay Annoyances top 10 things that drive you insane in this game?

What annoys you most about wurm?   This is a place to put your suggestions on what to streamline after the new patch that is going to come out in a few days: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/95555-countdown-to-12-full-list-of-features/

Wurm is a niche game, one of the reasons it appeals to so few gamers is simply that there are a ton of things that drive us insane.    The grind is always an issue, but I'd rather not discuss that, since its such a contested issue, with the community being divided between epic and the freedom cluster.   Likewise the pvp system.  We know its broke, but what I'm really looking for here is the little things that drive you nutz about the current mechanics.   Try to rank your responses into the top 10, with number 1 being the one that drives you mad with frustration and gives you nightmares every night when you think of having to face it again the next time you play wurm.    This is gameplay only, not the place for trolling, so keep it clean.    

I'll start off:   

1. Meditation Skill Ticks

2. Shield Training....shield bashing especially.   

3. Being thrown inside trees by Nogumps...This happens to me quite often, especially in olive forests -_- 

4. The fact that you may have 70 forestry, but you still only get 20 QL avg maple sap  :o (that's not counting all the 1 QL ones you get out of 1 in 4 trees you harvest I'll usually just pour them out) 

5. Boat travel between servers being so buggy.   If I don't glitch out when changing servers.... I'll crash anyways. 

6. Memory leak fps drops during pvp or long distance travel on land.

7. What the heck does tea actually do?   I've been playing for years and haven't figured it out yet... Magranon knows I've tested it enough.  This has driven me nuts for as long as I can remember.

8. Casting system.... hmmm its a clickfest atm, another thing I think the Devs should consider revamping along with the creation system...

9. Not being able to transport animals by boat

10.  There are so many different foods in wurm, but really the only thing that is worth making is meals.     :blink:

Those are mine, so Wurmians?  What are yours?   

Edited by Battlepaw

What genuinely annoys me? 

1. Coloured buildings. The way the colour is applied, just slapped on overtop, looks terrible.
2. The lack of different building wall textures.
3. The new HORRIBLE looking reinforced cave tiles. The old ones were better.
4. That the white light altar is not in neutral ground
5. The bug when driving a cart with passengers in it into a multi-story house, that either ejects them from the cart on entering the building, or makes them 'stuck' if they try to disembark the cart within 3 tiles of the door.

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

heh I'm a mag priest now, so... yea light token lol 

Colored buildings? Yep... they look horrible, not even textured, does not even look like paint just like some shade of light hitting it.   

Yea, the reinforced cave tiles... lol looks like tacky wallpaper glued to rock, or that a 12 year old drew them with crayon. 

The WL altar.... heheh    B)    Just don't go into that, you will completely derail this post with MR vs JK nonsense.   

Edited by Battlepaw

Most of mine are being fixed next update. The exceptions that I can think of right now are:

Boats.... Period. To slow, to slow, to freaking slow!

Can't expand/collapse all pans inside a oven/forge

Anything utility wise that's just annoying. (Like the bsb to cart thing)

All I can think of (for now) lol

The bugged boat travel between servers is the single most annoying and frustrating part of a game I truly love to play. Try travelling with an alt or two if you really want to lose your rag.

Next is the all too frequent lack of prevailing wind which means you have to spend literally hours of your life transporting goods around by boat. It is truly maddening at times.

Now, combine the two of these gripes for a really bad experience

Edited by solmark

- Some of the extraordinary dramas.

- Unfriendly permissions and especially writ system. Yes it is unfriendly when you can't hire the whole house for someone or have more than one person managing the writs to assign villagers (yes there is solution, share an account that hold writs, security problem). Or can't turn off alliance's ability to pick up stuffs or build on perimeter.

- Have to restart wurm every 1-2 hours playtime or it is stuttering. Since.. one of latest client update or something, idk, it just sucks.

Everything else, honestly I could live with them.

@solmark: I have travelled with... four. :D

Yea, I usually have a few alts in my knarr for more speed bonus, its a toss up which ones crash out, the Driver almost allways does in my case, or the driver glitches out and is stuck in limbo until I relog.   

Annoys me more that tea making at usable ql's is still broken.

There are three things about tea itself I've never figured out:

1. What the hell it actually does

2. Why Camilla season is the same as maple season.   (Like there is even a debate as to wich I'll bother with)  

3.  Forestry skill seems to do nothing for the QL of  the harvested camellia and Beverages doesn't even seem to affect  tea creation or QL.   

Edited by Battlepaw

You can

I mean with a single click. IE: hit "expand all" and they all open. I'd even love being able to select all the meals at once, however, that kills parading so that won't go very far...

My list would split into two sections. My unhappiness with the development of the game, and my unhappiness with gameplay itself. I will list the development part first, as that's what I find myself most annoyed with in my game play experience.

Development:

1. Implementatons/features (freedom) removed, without creating a fix. I.E. Giftwrapping, flatraising tundra, raising rock through dirt with concrete, towing boats, etc.

2. Development speed of the game. It's better than it was, but still excruciatingly slow. Three months to fix a slip up like floorboards is unacceptable... even if I were still paying the old subscription rate.

3. Suggestions made for one cluster/play type get implemented to the game without thought on how it would affect the other play type/cluster.

4. The developers sometimes go for the most "Rube Goldberg"-esque fix that they can find for an issue. Take this cart loading/unloading feature they're about to put into the game... how much easier would it have been to just allow those with the body strength to pick said items up? They changed bulk bins in that manner, why make moving everything else so complex?

5. The servers we reside on are junk. Our forum works when it wants. Our login server is down at least once a week, the game servers sputter out just as much, if not more. Indy has a 1 second lag that none of the other PVE servers have when waiting for stam to fill. We didn't have all these connection issues when the game was on American servers a few years ago.

Gameplay specific:

1. Priests. The casting system is so random that there is no discernible difference from a priest with a mediocre skillset and a priest with a high skillset. Why put in all the work if there's going to be no difference in the end result?

2. The PVE clusters aren't merged yet. Get it done. The segregation never made sense in the first place, and all you've done is let a group of existing players completely control a market. The segregation did not benefit new players in any way (even if they so foolishly want to believe so), all it did was give them a higher priced market, controlled by those that have been around a long time and know what they're doing. That's including the dragons... dead or alive.

3. The whole skill loss upon death is backwards in this game. I should not lose any skill dying to PVE, or for that matter, dying to a bug (like reconnecting to the game server and having the game insta-kill you from the 3rd floor of a house). I should lose skill if I die to another player though, and that makes even more sense with the affinity system we have. If killed by a player, we should only lose an affinity and 0.50 in the skill the affinity was in, as we can claim that the opponent "absorbed that intelligence". No skill loss in any other fashion.

4. Broken mailing system needs fixing (not removal). If I can pick it up in inventory, it should be mailable. The fact that I can currently mail a gold coin means that no object should be considered "too expensive". Remember, this isn't a free-to-use implementation, this is a feature that's costing us additional coin. The mail system hasn't and won't "break" delivery/transportation by land or water, no one is going to send bulk material through the mail at 10-20c per item.

5. Being mayor, I can't lockpick chests and bsb's on my land. IT'S MY LAND, and everything on it is technically mine (per game rules and controls). If the player can't trust that the mayor won't steal your stuff from them, maybe they shouldn't be a part of that village.

There's nothing that drives me up the wall really, but there are a few things that make me sigh with mild irritation every now and then:

1. The lighting system isn't visually acceptable what with the lights flickering on and off incessantly as you move through a lit village. From a standstill perspective it looks better than the old static lighting (that left some objects dark 1m away from a 70QL lamp), but the constant switching around is headache-inducing and I hope we can see a better solution in the future.

2. The dye/coloring system. Like the lighting system it appears a bit slapdash and I hope we can see a cleverer dying system, with or without alpha masks, for all objects including typed animals.

3. The infractions against mayor rights on their own deeds. I know we need to protect the rights of the "little" guys, but there's nothing sacrosanct about someone's boat or a locked cart when it's left on a deed owned by someone else. It's a no-brainer that a player should have full control over the land which they pay for, with the ability to lockpick containers and move vehicles.

4. The priest system. The randomness factor in casting is too great and it still doesn't make sense to have priests as anything but alt accounts. I'd support nerfing enchanting if it meant results were more predictable.

5. Latency. Wurm has always had significant end-to-end delay that has always made for jerky player and NPC motion. To me this problem appears to have been reduced somewhat since I started playing, but it's astonishing just how noticeable it is in normal gameplay. It's a difficult issue to solve but it's one that all large-scale online games faces and most of them seems to have managed.

6. Standard item volumes. I can't pin the exact time frame down, but there has been a number of adjustments to standard item volumes that has created some hurdles in crafting, often when BSB's are involved. Item volumes pulled from BSB's sometimes do not match the volumes mandated by the crafting recipe (animal hide is one example).

7. Related to the previous point; the "nibbling" of raw materials in crafting. Having crafting failures take a small bite of the raw resource item was an idea with good intentions, but it's a massive niggle in many situations.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

There are too many things to list but almost all can be blame to reason 1.

1. Devs don't know what they are doing and so half the game is patch over a patch over some quick change they did, and I don't know if they had a plan with Wurm or just do stuff to get thru the day.
  2. Machine lag and server lag.
  3. Lack of documentation, I found hard to believe that in a sandbox MMO almost all is kept as a secret for the sake of frustration and miscommunication or some random bizarre reason that no one fully comprehends.
  4. Randomness factor of the game cuz 3 and 1
Edited by Alec

1. constant stupid guard attacking mob it cant reach...

you get the Idea......

• Like 2

The only thing that irritates me is the "no fun allowed" factor, ie. arbitrary limitations on things that wouldn't hurt anybody and wouldn't change the game significantly. This is only a single annoyance, but I'll provide a few examples of how it manifests itself in wurm:

- not being able to build coal piles, pillars (you can push those inside) inside buildings. Even colossai, but perhaps there is a technical reason for those. I actually have no idea why this is blocked, are the devs afraid people would build things that are ugly?

- not being able to rotate guards towers

- limiting how much junk you can put on a single tile. And by junk I mean banners and such, but I'm not even sure why BSBs and such are blocked. No, I don't really need to place 100 banners per square foot, maybe I don't even have a design that would use two, but if I had, why doesn't a sandbox game let me carebear the way I like? Is there a pvp reason for that?

- not being able to put stuff in a gift box, but that's gone anyway, eh.

- I can't put "?" in a name?! Nevermind the question mark, what about łóźąśćęż or Ð´Ð„жч?  I'm a programmer myself, but I'm not sure if I've ever worked with a thing/string type/database type/whatever that didn't support it, or that couldn't be seamlessly replaced by one that does support the whole of unicode. I'm aware unicode has its problems, eg. things that don't render nicely (zalgo text), but the status quo is too restrictive.

- things like fireworks, or even spyglasses, contribute so much to the fun that they should be widely available

Edited by asdf

1.) the fact priest cant use Bows they are a HUGE PART OF PVP might as well make it so that mag and lib priests cant ride a horse would be about the equivalent of balance at lest for this game.

2,) cant mail everything and anything....

3.)the rare system is ridiculous 100% chance of item creation 0.5% chance of imping ( and that if you get a drum roll not counting all the times you don't).

4.) the Fact that horses have to go though a foal stage ( that dose nothing but a time sink) and hell horses don't.

5.) the fact you cant drag and drop cross containers ie bsb->bsb Raft -> cart ... and so on you get the idea having to put everything in your inventory is ridiculous 

6.) should be some kind of system where you can put skills you want on a hot bar of some kinda having to go though a drop down menu for every action is silly.  ever UO have a repeat last action key in 1997 surly in 2014 we can at lest match that.

7.) rez stones ( there pure existences)

there are more small things but these are all the big ones i can think of right now

1. Slow guards

2. The volume system

3. The lighting sytem

4. Creatures attacking your horse

5. Pristine/release still not merged

6. Unique problem still not solved

7. Features get promised and even put into the game in one form yet still not fully finished after more than a year(stairs, shoulders, capes that we have the slots for ever since 1.0 in 2012 december and we haven't even seen any pictures of those, permissions for each indoor doors that were promised when indoor walls were added years ago, creatures still attacking you on top of multi story ignoring the floors and lets not even get me started on bridges.)

8. More unfinished features get added instead of properly finishing the current ones.

9. Certain changes that are unnessecary for PvP servers yet nessecary for PvE servers get implemented on both and vice versa. (such as creature cap that are unnessecary for pvp, or slow guards that are just more annjoying on PvE and unnessecary and i could go on) 

10. The improving system, where you can imp an item with a 0.01kg lump, while you can also imp the same item with a 0.10kg lump but then it uses up the whole 0.10kg lump (mostly happens when imping with gold and silver but other items too)

Edited by atazs

***begin rant***

If I was to say anything here

Is that the direction and inconsistency

With answers from the staff leaders

Please note we are still waiting on a ingame voting system

That could be broken at rollout

Wogic is a silly responce when something doesn't quite make sense

But wogic is really Flawgic (flaw-gic)

Just really want so see leadership ether stick with a plan

And get it done in a timely manner

***End rant***

Inconsistency drives me crazy.

Inconsistency as in

If I tell you in doing ______

I'm doing _______. Unless we changes plans but both parts are

Involved with it. None of this 11th hour crap

People I've never heard of becoming GM's and or CM's overnight.

Nothing wrong with this game. I honestly love every bit of it. It's why I've stuck around off and on for so long.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with this game. I honestly love every bit of it. It's why I've stuck around off and on for so long.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

7. What the heck does tea actually do?   I've been playing for years and haven't figured it out yet... Magranon knows I've tested it enough.  This has driven me nuts for as long as I can remember.

I never managed to get some tea at a ql  high enough to drink it. Use 500+ 70+ql camellia leaves in 90ql pans at 40 beverage? Get 3-4 ql tea.
Edited by Serpentarius
  • Like 1

I never managed to get some tea at a ql  high enough to drink it. Use 500+ 70+ql camellia leaves in 90ql pans at 40 beverage? Get 3-4 ql tea.

Dis what I meant.... wiki lies...  da tea is a lie!    Ugh... I put this post up about stuff that frustrates me and I have to say, should have put this one higher on my list.   The whole tea thing is just completely broken.   The awkward season camellia is in, that its nearly impossible to make, etc there isn't a single aspect of this broken item that makes sense.   

Edited by Battlepaw

1) The priest system. Seriously, do their skills even matter? I'm not sure anymore. My theory is that a giant that resides in a basement throws a snot coated dice to see what the enchantment outcome will be.

2) The fact that so little details are given out together with new features. Yeah sure it's all fun and play for those that like exploring new things - The problem I have with it is that it is virtually impossible to report bugs when noone knows the intended behaviour. Sometimes this backlashes and something people have gotten used to is removed.

3) The writ management system, and basically all other management systems. They are tedious and very annoying to use. I would love to befriend this person but I am not so sure I want to give it access to my boat.

4) Honestly though my biggest irk is the inconsistency regarding:

- Looks

Some older models are in while others are updated, and all updated models don't follow the same stylistic path. We have plastic IKEA bulk bins and Japanese lucky charm looking shrines

- Names

The same item sometimes has a different name in the creation menu, as an item and then the skill name for it differs as well. There are even extreme cases where the material is shown in 2/3 of the items on the anvil and the third is just the item name.

- Management

This feature will be managed through a paper you will need to hold while that feature needs to be managed on the spot. They also don't have comparable permission types so you can't translate your writ permissions to your mindeoor or boat permissions.

- Item creation

This one really drives me nuts. Some items nibble the raw material, some items nibble the raw material while also leaving a lump behind that is slightly too small to create a second item of the same kind. Other items spawn a residue lump of QL/10 and then other items spawn a residue of a completely different kind.

• Like 2