Sign in to follow this  
Hockeypnkstr

Love everything but the combat

So i just recently started playing wurm online and i have to say that without a doubt i absolutely love this game! The in depth crafting , building and skill development have grabbed me and i can say i will be a long time player. The only thing i dislike about the game is the combat. In this day in age i feel this turn based style combat is dry and quite frankly obsolete. I wish to now introduce the idea of adding a combat style similar to that of taleworlds Mount and blade series. I understand doing this may cause a plethora of headaches for the dev team but in the end i think it will improve the overall popularity of the game as well as the pvp and pve. Wurm delivers a very accurate depiction of medieval life and style but does not bring the type of heart pounding, adreniline pumping action that should walk hand in hand with the medieval era. I have many ideas for how to implement this system and would love nothing more than to hear what everyone thinks especially the developers. Imagine engaging in a intense siege watching arrows fly past your head, men dying left and right from epic arrow head shots, hearing and seeing an epic two handed sword battle as two nights parry and slice their way to victory. If you have never played mount and blade and you play this game i suggest you check it out before posting any comments about this thread. otherwise let the debate begin, what does everyone think and how would everyone feel about this combat style?      

• Like 1

I think that we have too many of these threads and that the devs are already working on improving the system. 

• Like 1

There has been lots of talk and lots of suggestions on fighting.

It's gonna be changed Soon

Short and sweet... We all know that the combat is less than thrilling. The devs are working on improving this system.

But can't wait to see how far they get with it :P to have real time fighting would be sweet!

Hard to implement such a comat style due to the issue of latency.

• Like 2

im only one that likes the fight style wurm has right now vs the mount and blade style? I actually think its more unique and more fun.

• Like 5

im only one that likes the fight style wurm has right now vs the mount and blade style? I actually think its more unique and more fun.

No, not the only one, I like current combat too :)

Nothing is really "wrong" with the combat, just looking to improve it :P

Try playing Mount and Blade at 200-300 ping. Not saying I don't like the idea of real-time combat, but it's pretty impractical without regional servers, which you probably won't be seeing any time soon. And if you lose several hours' worth of work due to latency, well...

• Like 7

Time to get some better servers then. I realised there are like 1-2 second movement delays... 

The problem with your post is that it's not turn style combat.  Everything is on timers and skill, enchants, weapon type, etc affect the timers themselves.  Combat is real time, you aren't clicking a button for Attack, Defend, Item, or Run as you would in Final Fantasy II.

• Like 4

Wurm combat looks dull. You can improve combat without it requiring high latency.

As a development team, I think that combat should be a priority. This post shows how the terribad combat system causes new players to turn away. There are plenty of games out there that have a better PvP experiance. No wonder the PvP population is so much smaller than the PvE population in Wurm!

Also, I'm seeing a universal outcry on the Epic servers about the Valrei events. Perhaps that should be high up there on your to-do list.

• Like 1

There was talk of Mount and Blade type of thing a while back never materialized.

Anyhow  if we do go to steam expect a lot more new PvP and combat oriented players to say something similar as to what was said here.

• Like 1

This game should concentrate more on what makes it different from the others.

Way too many PVP games, But Wurm is the only  game that allows the building and creativity   That is a great selling point in itself.  Make it even more creative and you have a winner. This is a wonderful game, and the people here are amazing. 

More Advertising,  Maybe an affiliate program??

• Like 1

yeah but i dont want twitch combat ###### dying because i didnt click on time

. Wurm delivers a very accurate depiction of medieval life and style but does not bring the type of heart pounding, adreniline pumping action that should walk hand in hand with the medieval era. 

When you go into PvP, it typically brings adrenaline. If you want that sort of action join the epic cluster. Elevation is where we mostly get PvP.

• Like 1

When you go into PvP, it typically brings adrenaline. If you want that sort of action join the epic cluster. Elevation is where we mostly get PvP.

A game of Solitaire is heart-pounding if you have any sort of investment in it, but that doesn't make Solitaire itself a heart-pounding game. Point is, a gameplay feature as central as combat should aspire to hold up on its own. That's how you get otherwise oblivious people to stick with something. Wurm's inability to draw people in based on the merits of its combat system is a problem.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

threadfull of freedomers who cant kill hellhounds

Edited by Johnston2
  • Like 4

I like the combat system how it is, I just think it could use a lot of refinement. Better indicators for the direction the enemy is aiming their blows, a bit more choice into whether to switch to slashing, hacking, stabbing, etc blows, a revision of how much damage dual wielding should do (offhand weapons are currently almost equivalent to having nothing in your offhand), something to bring two-handers into usefulness in pvp (Touchy subject between 3-4 shots dead from archery without a shield on), and things like that. Not a full overhaul, but adjustments, and improvements.

But they could do with changing the hit rate. Seems off using an 80ql two handed sword with enchants and still missing, sometimes up to 10 times in a row. Landing 1 blow and missing 5 others before another successful blow. Meaning we take on so much damage for something so easy as a spider to someone thats a Mercenary. Being such a skilled fighter to reach Mercenary level, why would one still miss so much attacks in a row? Using high ql swords with enchants, high ql armour, and being a level 70 or above Mercenary fighter, I still find it so hard to kill some things with this hit/miss ratio. Seems like the combat system is in need of some tweaking, but this is just ones opinion. If a complete overhaul is out of the question, at least make it a bit easier to fight. And maybe since noobs can't really fight to kill anything, seems pointless to start with a sword and shield, as this encourages new players to run into their deaths, thus they feel its too hard and end up giving up most of the time. Maybe make things like wolfs, lions, cave bugs, rats, and deers something a noob could kill. Or maybe something like Dead island did, where the level of the zombies would be around the level you are, and gets tougher over time as you level up more. Where like, wolfs, cave bugs, lions, rats would be based around level 1 to 3 or 5, and gets tougher as you play longer, not as you skill. Giving them a chance to kill things and skill up more before it gets tougher. And when your time is up it should go back to normal or get a little tougher over time. Just simple ideas and opinions to maybe help players feel more confident in playing, and sticking around.

But they could do with changing the hit rate. Seems off using an 80ql two handed sword with enchants and still missing, sometimes up to 10 times in a row. Landing 1 blow and missing 5 others before another successful blow. Meaning we take on so much damage for something so easy as a spider to someone thats a Mercenary. Being such a skilled fighter to reach Mercenary level, why would one still miss so much attacks in a row? Using high ql swords with enchants, high ql armour, and being a level 70 or above Mercenary fighter, I still find it so hard to kill some things with this hit/miss ratio. Seems like the combat system is in need of some tweaking, but this is just ones opinion. If a complete overhaul is out of the question, at least make it a bit easier to fight. And maybe since noobs can't really fight to kill anything, seems pointless to start with a sword and shield, as this encourages new players to run into their deaths, thus they feel its too hard and end up giving up most of the time. Maybe make things like wolfs, lions, cave bugs, rats, and deers something a noob could kill. Or maybe something like Dead island did, where the level of the zombies would be around the level you are, and gets tougher over time as you level up more. Where like, wolfs, cave bugs, lions, rats would be based around level 1 to 3 or 5, and gets tougher as you play longer, not as you skill. Giving them a chance to kill things and skill up more before it gets tougher. And when your time is up it should go back to normal or get a little tougher over time. Just simple ideas and opinions to maybe help players feel more confident in playing, and sticking around.

Easy, there is more to fighting then just fight skill. There is your stance, your body stats (plural), your weapon skill, and your overall weapon skill.

threadfull of freedomers who cant kill hellhounds

This has nothing to do with one's input on the combat system. Some people with little combat experience could have the best ideas while some 5-year vets could prove to have the worst ideas for it.

• Like 2