Maximustehgreat

Marsh Tiles - Flatten And Level

Useless Marsh tiles  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Allow us to flatten and level marsh

• Yes
    • no
    • other - please state below

Marsh in general has no use, also you cannot level or flatten marsh. It is a hindrance from what people have been saying. And i agree.

The suggestion proposes being able to level and flatten marsh tiles like any other, quite a lot of land is wasted to marsh, and it could be utilized.

So the suggestion is to allow level and flatten on marsh tiles, like many other tiles.

• Like 1

-1  I look at it like its not wasted at all, but waiting for someone to put in some effort to use it.

Since its basically the only type of tile that requires the player to actually work for it I see no reason to make it able to flatten or level.

I Deeded on Marsh so people could not easily remove it as well.

You can still Dig as well as drop as you need to change the level.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

+1 God Yes Please!

And you still need to use floorboards to turn it into dirt to be able to build on or w/e - So you still have to put quite an effort into it.

• Like 2

+1 God Yes Please!

And you still need to use floorboards to turn it into dirt to be able to build on or w/e - So you still have to put quite an effort into it.

And next will be we need easy floorboards too.....................

+1 God Yes Please!

Exactly, at the current state its in, you have to put in way too much effort for so little reward

we can level marsh

-1 to flatten, it should be a hard terrain to sculpture :)

Big +1.

Marsh is the most protected tile type in the game and is also the most useless. The fact that it doesn't disappear when you remove/add dirt gives even more of a reason to allow us to manipulate the tile type more easily.

we can level marsh

-1 to flatten, it should be a hard terrain to sculpture :)

You cant level marsh, go try for yourself

I think the idea behind marsh not being terraformable very well is that well... it's wet land. In reality, you can do very little with marsh, untill you drain it. You can't really flaten marsh IRL, nor can you level the ground around it to any great effect. I think this is reflected in the game's marsh mechanics.

Of course, in reality, you cannot have a sloping marsh either, which is quite possible in Wurm. So, I know, I know... reality does not always a good game make :)

I think I can't see too much harm in this suggestion, as long as we still need to use floorboards to drain marsh. I like the whole floorboard idea. It adds work and complexity, yes, but it gives the game more variety. Marsh is out there. You can conquer it, but it'll be work.

I don't understand a lot of these suggestions to make things easier...   I thought part of the allure of wurm is that things actually took time and effort.   What is the point of making marsh easier to manipulate.  You can manipulate it, just requires work.  

And yes, for the record you can level marsh.  Just because there is no level command doesn't mean that it is impossible.   

Marsh is a pain in the butt, but if there weren't things that were difficult, what would be the point in doing something.  Where is the sense of accomplishment?   

Of course, if you really must have the marsh removed you can always hire people to come remove it for you.

I don't understand a lot of these suggestions to make things easier...   I thought part of the allure of wurm is that things actually took time and effort.   What is the point of making marsh easier to manipulate.  You can manipulate it, just requires work.  

And yes, for the record you can level marsh.  Just because there is no level command doesn't mean that it is impossible.   

Marsh is a pain in the butt, but if there weren't things that were difficult, what would be the point in doing something.  Where is the sense of accomplishment?   

Of course, if you really must have the marsh removed you can always hire people to come remove it for you.

Because wurm shouldn't be a chore, You cant flatten or level the tiles, But you can on clay tar ETC why not 

And those resources are way more harder than marsh. Yet you can level them, so why not marsh???

Edited by Maximustehgreat

Because wurm shouldn't be a chore, You cant flatten or level the tiles, But you can on clay tar ETC why not 

From the Wiki:

• With at least 70 digging skill you can level resource tiles, such as clay or tar, as long as no corner needs to be raised. You will get dirt for lowering the corner instead of the resource. If a corner needs to be raised you will receive the message Some corners can't be modified and the levelling action stops.

And those resources are way more harder than bloody marsh. Yet you can level them, so why not marsh???

ahhhh... The good Ole its too hard because its a chore argument......and they just added clay and tar so why not push for marsh as well.....gotcha.

Ok I still -1

+1 even though I'm one of those annoyed people who's easily dumped over 10,000 dirt on marsh to raise it before, hahaha.

While I myself find marsh annoying we have to keep in mind that it's meant to be a hindrance to be worked around.

I agree with Protunia for a change.

The difficulty helps to sort the chaff from the grain. More socially adept, tenacious or resourceful players remain as a result.

Do you really want the WoW-tards here? "lol the game only begins at 70FS and 50 skills!" "Boost plz?" I think a bit of effort to keep them out is worth it.

Wurm shouldn't be a chore?   I suppose things have gotten a lot easier than they used to be.  I know xp gain is far better than it used to be and failures don't eat your materials anymore like they used to.  And you can actually surface mine inconvenient rock that is in the way, though there are people that want that to be a lot easier too.   

At what point does the game just become a free design studio with no challenge?   I suppose Everquest Next is the way you want to go with easy access to materials and the ability to generate any pattern that is desired.  

I really don't understand why a game that makes everything difficult and requires a lot of work, would have players calling that work a chore?   What is the point of the game if everything is simple?   I think the challenge is wurm's defining feature that most other games neglect.   In almost every other category, story, graphics, game physics, wurm seems to be lacking.  So why remove the challenging aspects of the game?   I just don't see it making the game better.

Adding to above:

Challenges mean more of a sense of achievement.

If you can't face the challenges or you have beaten them all and want to just replicate then maybe it is time to move on?

Edited by Jenshiye

I guess your idea of a great game is dropping 50k of dirt to raise a section of land under water just to get it to a level where you can floorboard it.

So say you dig all that dirt yourself, maybe um playing 4 hours a day at digging 3k in those 4 hours = under a month RL time. That is rather excessive and drives you to boredom before anything. 

If we can level TAR and CLAY then we should be able to level marsh OR nothing at all..

Edited by Maximustehgreat

Well, for those that want to make that effort, yes perhaps that is what they do for fun. If not, why build there just move to another area.   50k of dirt so we are talking about multiple tiles, I assume.   Actually, yes I am doing a project that will require at least that right now.  I don't see the issue.  I knew it was going to be a pain to do in the first place.  If it just took a couple of hours what would be the challenge?  To be honest, I'm going to try to build a mine on this little raising experiment I am doing so I envision using a heck of a lot of concrete.  I don't know if it's even possible.   So I see your 50k dirt, raise you 20k concrete and top it off with a major surface mining effort as well.  

The entertaining part of all this is the actual challenge building the thing.  If I could wave a magic wand and have it all done, what would I have actually gained?   I'm not an artist creating a portrait, I'm an engineer, taking the environment as it exists, tools, and knowledge to rework the land around me.   

That's one of my motivations for playing wurm.  I just don't understand the folks that want building to be easy.   Part of my fun is also working for others that don't have the time or interest in doing these terraforming projects and getting paid to do so.   If you take away difficulty, would there be any economy in the game at all.  As it is the economy sucks, but if everything was easy then everyone would walk around in lightweight 99ql armor, farm 99.99ql wemp that turned to 99.99ql ropes as you drop it into the rope-a-matic bsb and sacrificing would take a second.   And of course 106 enchants all the time.   Where's the fun?  

There are projects that were designed specifically to be a pain.  Surface mining, filling a small barrel with ink, terraforming marsh, keeping the noobs from destroying the non-replenishing tundra,  actually protecting any undeeded land for that matter since it's apparently okay to drop a token on a road between two fences bash a hole in each and claim it wasn't a valid enclosure since a wall or two was missing, getting decent pay for work performed, travelling against the wind from cele to indi or vice versa.   All of these and more are a major pain, but as challenges go they are pretty fun.  You don't have to do any of them, why take away others entertainment just because you can't be troubled to move somewhere else or hire someone to fix the problem for you?   

Please note, the use of you here is not intended to be a personal attack.  I just don't understand how making the game easier is going to provide more entertainment value.   Keybinding has made things a lot easier than it used to be as well, but I can see the need for it since this game had me on the road to corpal tunnel and I assume the new crafting system is being provided as a similar tool to keep from having to use the mouse on the menu system all the time for each creation action, but we shall see.   So I believe that keybinding has improved the game.   The increased xp gain on freedom was probably necessary to give people a sense of actually moving forward and accomplishing something, especially for the casual players.   Sleep bonus same deal.   These things have made wurm easier and enhanced the system.   

So for this one instance, marsh.  Tell me specifically why it should be made easier.  What reason is there to nerf the difficulty of a terrain type that was specifically set up to be a pain in the butt and be difficult?

PS, keep in mind that I have personally overseen projects which have moved in excess of 500k dirt.  I built the landbridge on JK home to the north of newtown.  I built the great northern highway that went straight for many km except to detour around pita's that planted deeds specifically to get in the way of the road.  I built the western highway leading to the west shore for the swim to Wild.  I build two of the walls around Kyara.   

To me, these large challenging projects are fun, they are what bring me back to wurm.   I'm in general against an easy button, but will concede if there is a valid argument for making something easier.   But typically, what I want to see are things that aren't in the game yet.  3d underground mining, rivers and flowing water, the ability to make a coffer dam to work below the water level, etc.   In general, I am for new abilities to make what is currently impossible possible rather than making the things that are possible in the current system easy enough that everyone can do it without much effort.

PSS when I say I built, it should be I participated or oversaw the construction of since typically these are large scale projects that required man years of labor.