Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

A day worth of premium added

You're right. A skinny metal pole will do more internal damage that a massive double bladed axe. You're a genius!

I didn't say that it would do more.  Perhaps you'd care to read what someone writes before looking for the 'perfect' picture to troll with...

• Like 1

You don't think then it's slightly odd the ingredient needed to make two other polearms is doing significantly more damage then those?  It's not about nerfing something into the ground, it's about making sure that the damage is balanced to others fairly.  Boat combat shouldn't even have staff bonus applied and yet it does, it's clearly a mechanic with some bugs.  All that was asked to Rolf was if it was designed to have mounted bonus, he said he would look into it, and evidently it doesn't.  I don't really think it would be all too effective as a halberd or spear myself realistically, but in the end I think people again will use any advantage plausible if it gets them kills.  

I thought spear was a steel staff and longspear/halberd were wooden staves, but perhaps I am incorrect.  I do find it odd, but for different reasons.  Not saying the steel staff shouldn't be tweaked, but imho, all polearms should have some advantage vs. mounted.  The advantage could be a chance to dismount/stun your opponent or greater reach, etc.

As is, it sounds like steel staff was the only one showing any kind of advantage.  With the others, people seem better off using their standard weapon.

At least set colors to gray, orange, blue, red, and green with that avatar, I thought Loyals just double posted for a moment talking to himself.

Seeing the steel staff change leaves me happier, but I doubt it'll change much more due to the fact every pvp moderator and their grandma is going to voice their opinion about it so Rolf is forced to never touch it again because /staff.

For god sakes, A bo staff can cause a bruise worth talking about, but a large maul would prevent you from talking at all even if you suck at swinging. Theres a large difference even in real life. :|

At least set colors to gray, orange, blue, red, and green with that avatar, I thought Loyals just double posted for a moment talking to himself.

Seeing the steel staff change leaves me happier, but I doubt it'll change much more due to the fact every pvp moderator and their grandma is going to voice their opinion about it so Rolf is forced to never touch it again because /staff.

For god sakes, A bo staff can cause a bruise worth talking about, but a large maul would prevent you from talking at all even if you suck at swinging. Theres a large difference even in real life. :|

I like you, I will change my avatar color just for you.

I like you, I will change my avatar color just for you.

The thinker

Changed it

The do-er

<3

But YAY, PREM.

The thinker

The do-er

<3

But YAY, PREM.

I'm a do-er too now!

This has been the best Taco Tuesday ever the rustling of a lifetime!

Nobody complains how its possible to 1-3 shot someone in plate with a huge axe, how is a staff with a situational bonus any different?

Ahem, let me elaborate. I shall procede to demonstrate the sizes and differences in lethality with the "size" of the words. staff < HUGE AXE 

huge axe blade, swung with strength and efficiency, is going to beat a staff, and likely 1-3hit you. that's realistic. staffs beating you for 45-dmg through plate a hit is not, i'm sorry.

Edited by Radni

Arguing realism in Wurm

Sorry gary, I totally forgot to completely agree with you. YES I'M SORRY, DONT HURT ME! we need smaller weapons! we should all use staffs and needles! needles should do 90dmg through scale! huge axes shouldnt do damage! i'm sorry! i was so silly!

I thought this change was about balance, not realism.

In that case, just change the model of a staff to a polehammer. Problem solved...?

• Like 1

Based on their ingame models, huge axes and large mauls would be too big and unwieldy to use in real life. So we should make them useless, because, you know, realism and stuff. Also, metal shields larger than bucklers didn't really exist historically, so let's give people some sort of encumbrance penalty for using those. And in a 1v1 scenario, a spearman would almost universally win against someone with a sword and shield. Better add that too. Boy, isn't this fun?

• Like 6

Got question for those who cried about Steel staffs.. WHO doesn't let you to grind up your polearms skill AND use it?!? Just because you're lazy and dont want to grind it, doesn't means for those who actually worked for it, that now it will be nerfed, because guy who doesnt wanna to grind steel staff's skill is crying that he gets owned by it... WHY can't you do it, and use it against?

Got question for those who cried about Steel staffs.. WHO doesn't let you to grind up your polearms skill AND use it?!? Just because you're lazy and dont want to grind it, doesn't means for those who actually worked for it, that now it will be nerfed, because guy who doesnt wanna to grind steel staff's skill is crying that he gets owned by it... WHY can't you do it, and use it against?

Allow me to redirect you back a couple of pages to post #23. It would benefit you to actually read the thread before you make a post and look like a fool.

And again, let me pose this question to all the people out there with high skill in longbow and staffs. Where is all the outrage for all the people that have yet to train those skills up high, now that they have the added hurdle of decreased accuracy and damage output from these two weapons to slow down their skill gain? I suggest you all be quiet before you have your skill rolled back to compensate for your lack of a life outside of this game.

• Like 1

The steel staff is very accurate with no skills, a huge axe with no skill misses considerably that is unbalanced in itself.  The steel staff is such a niche weapon it had flown under the radar and anyone who pick it up can see something funky going on with it.  the bonus damage puts it over the top as horses/boats are used extensively.  Exploiters now crying as it has been uncovered.  

If polearms are going to keep their significant bonus damage to horses and mounted opponents they need to be significantly weaker than 2 handed weapons in a ground fight.

Trying to tell me people were using it to look baller with a tiny silver conductors baton, or they were using it as it was OVERPOWERED.

Edited by Rushy
  • Like 1

Allow me to redirect you back a couple of pages to post #23. It would benefit you to actually read the thread before you make a post and look like a fool.

And again, let me pose this question to all the people out there with high skill in longbow and staffs. Where is all the outrage for all the people that have yet to train those skills up high, now that they have the added hurdle of decreased accuracy and damage output from these two weapons to slow down their skill gain? I suggest you all be quiet before you have your skill rolled back to compensate for your lack of a life outside of this game.

Unless you killed animals that were riding on horses or in boats or something like that skilling up staffs will be just the same

• Like 3

>mfw people still think this is about grinding staff skill

>mfw a person with 1 staff beat the living crap out of someone in less than a few seconds with said staff

>mfw people actually still think it is not broken

>mfw only people really angry about staffs is one kingdom

>mfw

Girls.png

Based on their ingame models, huge axes and large mauls would be too big and unwieldy to use in real life. So we should make them useless, because, you know, realism and stuff. Also, metal shields larger than bucklers didn't really exist historically, so let's give people some sort of encumbrance penalty for using those. And in a 1v1 scenario, a spearman would almost universally win against someone with a sword and shield. Better add that too. Boy, isn't this fun?

Sarcasm about large metal shields?  Please be sarcasm... If not...

Large Metals shields from roman (and earlier/later periods) http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_shield.html

General shields: http://clustercritter.hubpages.com/hub/Shields-of-the-Middle-Age-and-Renaissance

For the mauls, yeah, the mauls in-game are anti-fortification/structure types, not combat types, course in-game, they are a non-polearm, where actual combat types of mauls are commonly considered polearms.

Gawds.. rereading it, I hope that entire post was sarcasm...

Just to toss fuel on the fire... there are stories of famous swordsmen getting their asses handed to them by some farmer with a quarterstaff.

EDIT: Granted its mostly stories, not familar with a specific historical example.

Edited by Klaa

Sign in to follow this