Sign in to follow this  
Arndell

Tame at least 2 animals.

I think it would be very useful and make taming more fun if you could tame at least 2 mobs at the same time, agressive mobs specifically, to allow easier breeding, the mechanics to breed them are already in game but you need armor to take the beating or luck so they dont kill the animal you have tamed while breeding.

I understand there is also a PvP community that would dislike possible imbalences with people bringing multiple pets into a fight, but there would be mechanics that could be implimented to avoid that, a few ideas I have include (i dont know how to program java or anything so sorry if these seem unreasonable in some way)

1)Make only 1 pet active in the right click "pet" menu at any one time to make it too awkward to effectively use multiple animals in a fight

2)Tie being tamed to being on a deed, so that only 1 tamed animal can leave a deed at a time, and you can keep whatever amount of tamed animals that your husbandry skill allows on deed, This could perhaps also add an interesting last line of defence to PvP raids i hear about

The basic idea is to allow the breeding and hitching of the agressive animals in the game to give a little more interest to the taming feature, basically no one uses it to help in fighting as it is and i belive its most interesting use would be along the lines of breeding bears and wolves etc to actually be useful and more capeable than wild versions using traits they inherheted through the player breeding them.

Ideally the ability to tame 3 so you could safely move any babies you want to keep to a safe area to store, or an ability to temporarily make an animal on a deed docile for 30 minutes to allow actions to be taken.

I dont actually tame animals myself my skill is 26 or so from equiping horses and such, i feel a change like this would open alot more doors to the feature an encourage a better economy in the animal trading area than just horses, the trade pet feature could actually have a use also :P

• Like 2

If each type/template of creatures were worth a certain amount of points against how much you can tame it could mitigate a lot of potential problems.

Say for example you have a taming pool of 10 points.
A wolf is worth 2 points, so you could have 5 tamed at a time.
A champ croc is worth 10 points, so it is all you could have.
Other things in between as appropriate.

That being said, +1 for the idea.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 1

What Elen said sounds like it would be interesting.

Edited by Morrowen

Elens idea seems interresting.

Though the size of the taming pool should be based on your taming skill.

Can you not just breed aggressive animals with a Fo priest, or have 2 people tame one creature each, both methods work afaik so why change the game so drastically.

Edited by Rushy

Can you not just breed aggressive animals with a Fo priest, or have 2 people tame one creature each, both methods work afaik so why change the game so drastically.

You can, but having 2 people needed to breed the animals isent very convinient or available to everyone and the limitations of a fo priest would often not be considered worth it for most people unless they have a dedicated alt to do so, i also dont think a fo priest can have 1 tamed and 1 fo-cast, besides its not such a drastic change, its what we have now but the ability to tame multiple, Im uncertain but am assuming the reason its not alloud is to maintain PvP as it is, as there would be many complaints about it being unfair that taming is suddenly needed to be on even ground, the biggest hurdle would be keeping PvP uneffected or happy with a change

Nah Fo priest still just has 1 pet but can breed with aggressive animals as they ignore him at high faith/favor.  Im not impressed with current pet system anyway and feel like very little control.  And yeah it would create big shift in PVP as could have a hellhorse and a champion pet which would be rather OP (unless new point system) and a kick in the teeth for BL priest as they cannot tame.  But on flip side they be able to have more zombies so.... yea not sure but will effect it in big ways.

Edited by Rushy

There's still a flaw with this... Cause newborn critters aren't born tame, so basically the mother would kill the newborn if tame. (Which is why its a good idea to only tame the male, and breed like that, it sucks after the cub is born cause you have to take a double beating, but with good armor and a fo priest its doable).

I think the best bet would probably be to KEEP current pet system, only one at a time. And add a broader use to branding, so that branded animals become neutral to the citizens of the deed they've been branded to (and allies maybe).

Also allow branded animals to be equipped without the need to be tame, and give a bit more control of pets (like a follow command, different "stances" for pets - like aggressive, neutral, defensive - the usual mmo stuff). And wurm would be much better in that aspect, and i suspect that PvP with pets would become a whole new ball game.

Also the branded mechanic would allow HoTS players to ride their own hellhorses, without using zombies,

This would probably make everyone happy.

I actually know very little about PvP in wurm Kane so im cannot add my opinion about how happy it would make everyone hehe :P the deed only branding for agression wouldent account for leaving deeds and making the ability to tame and easily hitch the more agressive animals, I was hoping for a more viable use for tamers to add traited agressive animals through trading and hitching of bears / hell horses by other players than those with fo priests

I prefer the [Domesticated] (randomising a bit at birth) trait idea, where you can use two people with taming and then breed neutral versions of wild animals.

yeah the domesticated trait would be nice, but unfortunately alot of development ideas need to take PvP into account, and if that trait was implimented, as much as it would be a boon to the freedom servers, the PvP would end up negating any other animals aside from those with said trait, if somthing like that could be implimented only on freedom though, and it dosent allow cross server of those animals to end up on chaos it would work out ok

yeah the domesticated trait would be nice, but unfortunately alot of development ideas need to take PvP into account, and if that trait was implimented, as much as it would be a boon to the freedom servers, the PvP would end up negating any other animals aside from those with said trait, if somthing like that could be implimented only on freedom though, and it dosent allow cross server of those animals to end up on chaos it would work out ok

Animals can't cross servers so that trait could be Freedom only :)

As i have suggested a while ago, wurm needs a skill for animal traning. A skilled animal trainer could turn aggressive animals to non-aggressive permanently. Also animal training should allow to provide some skills or perks to animals.

though +1 To the suggestion of the OP and to Elens suggestion.

The domesticated trait has a few glitches:

1- It induces inbreeding.

2- The wild progenitors won't have that trait, so that won't solve the issues with breeding the wild ones.

I actually know very little about PvP in wurm Kane so im cannot add my opinion about how happy it would make everyone hehe :P the deed only branding for agression wouldent account for leaving deeds and making the ability to tame and easily hitch the more agressive animals, I was hoping for a more viable use for tamers to add traited agressive animals through trading and hitching of bears / hell horses by other players than those with fo priests

After being branded the animals would be neutral always (to citizens, and perhaps allies of the brand deed), not only within their deeds, and even if that was deemed overpowered, after hitched the animals won't unhitch by themselves even after losing taming. They might attack the driver sometimes though, i think.