Sign in to follow this  
baileytheferret

Prices too high...so long....

I dunno, I don't think the price is that bad. I was pissed when it first came out, the new prices, but having had time to cool down - I blame the family blood - I see it as quite reasonable.
It's helped that I've been in like five betas recently for MMOs and none of them have been ...
..what's the phrase.
Worth my time?

Sometimes you need new perspective to see what's worth it to you and what isn't.

Besides, I hopefully have finally found work, so hopefully I'll be able to play again. (Playing when you're not prem: now, -that- I can't do xD Drives me mad.)

• Like 2

lower deed size and remove guards. build guard tower, buy prem once a month. With 1 silver upkeep the game is not that expensive compared to other forms of entertainment I do. One visit to the pub and I spend $50, beer, burgers etc.

Hope some of this helps. 

Edit: I will say the price is high for the service though, lately with all the downtime and login issues. However, fix that and it is manageable. 

Edited by Drwebs

I finally got tired of my second toon not being premium so went to look at the store options and was surprized at how inexpensive it was to premium him up for a year.  And don't forget the 12 sleep powders you get that no one has mentioned yet.  Those can be sold to more than pay deed upkeep for a year if for some reason getting a trader doesn't work for you.

Been paying my main in silver but really not going to bother with that, going to use the store tonight and get a year for him too.

In my view it is only expensive if you are using Wurm as a chat service. 

• Like 2

I was definitely not happy with the 60% hike in the subscription when Rolf implemented it.  But what fueled that frustration was some players trying to claim that Wurm was cheap compared to other MMO's.  That argument just does not hold water.  Even if you live in a village that someone else pays for and even if you only have one premium character, you are only getting to experience a fraction of what Wurm offers.  But to compare Wurm to other MMO's you have to compare how much it would cost to get "everything" in the other MMO compared to getting "everything" in Wurm.  Everything in Wurm in my mind is being able to be a priest of every faith (4) plus a non-priest character (1) in addition to enjoying my own deeded homestead.  Everything in most other MMO's means having MANY characters with no limitations.  Ok, enough about the comparison...  My point is made.

However, what helps me to endure the costs of playing Wurm is NOT when I compare it to other MMO's.  It is when I compare it to other hobbies that I could be spending my money on.  I could be spending thousands on fishing, hunting, woodworking, etc. etc.  But instead, I play Wurm.  It is then that I realize that Wurm is actually a very affordable hobby.  That said, we all have to come up with our own justifications for spending our money on whatever we choose to spend it on. At least this line of thinking helps me.

Cheers.

I always laugh when people list their partner as an expense. Get your stuff together yo, let your partner buy their own crap!

Classic indication of not having your stuff together... 30+ years now on this rock and I have yet to be involved with a woman who wasn't an expense.

Is the typical american female a materialistic narcissist, or do I just choose poorly (every time)?

*insert frysquint.jpg*

Why is it in these type of threads we see the same thing?

1. Wurm is cheep compared to other forms of entertainment -- entertainment substitutes in general that is. I agree! Netflix, hulu, and playing life games (basketball, hacky-sack, frisby) are all I can think of that are comparable or cheaper.

2. Wurm is expensive compared to other competitors, basicly other MMO's.

We can argue till we turn blue in the face as to what defines "experience all the game has to offer".

Although, to me it means: a main crafter, a priest alt, a good sized deed, and some spending silver. Two or three people seem to think they can tell me how to play and they are dead wrong. I respect you'll have a different opinion and how about you do the same for me? You'll would do just as well stating what you think is good.

• Like 2

get 2 gold,  make 2 deeds,  means 2 prems, then stick 2 traders down, farm them monthly, tada, pays for everything!. my trader covers my upkeep, i sell random crap ingame for silvers for premy. I win! though, 10 silver is 26 usd, not 15, unless Euros got cheaper to usd. 

i really want to respond here but i think just a bigger box so those inside there little ones can see a bit more....

And this is well said anyway:

wurm is cheaper than other mmo's as well as other forms of entertainment

Hell if you really do like playing wurm you would not be so quick to rite it off simply becouse you cant have a deed the way you want it for the cost you want at.

You dont need a deed to play wurm and you can, if you wish, play with just one toon, this is not 40$usd a month and even if it was its like the cost of 4 hamburgers, 1 every weekend that month lol.

You can afford monthly internet, phone and computer hardware but not 40$ / month for any games on said computer?  why?  what are you spending cash on that could be stoped so you can afford wurm.

Basic life skills man tbh

I see people at 80 yo that still don't know what saving is, pokies anyone? have a cigar? class of wine prehaps?   or wurm.  It is as simple as picking between the things (all the things) you want to spend cash on in your life.

I understand that not all of us are in the best position to pick what we want, or to help ourselves hang on to things we enjoy and much worse not able to let go of things we find no enjoyment in.

(Illich, Ivan 1926-2002 )

Man must choose whether to be rich in things or in the freedom to use them.

(Deschooling Society - 1971)

Classic indication of not having your stuff together... 30+ years now on this rock and I have yet to be involved with a woman who wasn't an expense.

Is the typical american female a materialistic narcissist, or do I just choose poorly (every time)?

*insert frysquint.jpg*

Do they start decaying if you don't pay monthly upkeep or something?

• Like 4

Do they start decaying if you don't pay monthly upkeep or something?

Their love does :(

• Like 3

I don't care too much for money

Money can't buy me love

You can buy my love. 80eu for a years subscription.

• Like 1

i really want to respond here but i think just a bigger box so those inside there little ones can see a bit more....

Degrading your fellow Wurmians makes your arguments lose merit.  Share your ideas not your disdain for others' ideas.

If you pay more accounts to get everything in Wurm, which people claim they can get in other MMO's on one account, then you also get more than what you get from one account in any other MMO, so its a pointless discussion.

The problem is, and I think will show in May when lots of accounts expire on the old price, is that Wurm hasn't delivered on what people would expect from a 60% price increase.

Maybe we get more updates, but they are as buggy as before, and countless features are left unfinished or unpolished for years and years. Bugs remain ignored for so long that they

become features. (After 2+ years I can still sail back to Indy to get my skiller hatchet back up to the original enchant power, after wearing it down 20+ coc numerous times)

For example, for me personally, Wurm was a much better game 2 ½ years ago, before Epic came out, when I was living on Independence, when the spawn system was working, when it was fun going out hunting and exploring, and we didn't have weird things like rares, karma, personal goals, hell creatures, or missions. Don't even get me started on the creation system.

• Like 4

Wurm is a Co-Op type game for the most part. if you contribute and trade you can play the game cheaply. if you choose to do it all alone it will cost you a fortune.  The only reason i play this game is for the friends I have and the people in the game.  If I had to play alone and do all myself, i also would find the game too expensive and terribly boring.  

If i wanted to be alone, I could find better ways to spend my money.

I am as broke as the rest of the world. So This is my smoking, drinking, movie budget.

If you pay more accounts to get everything in Wurm, which people claim they can get in other MMO's on one account, then you also get more than what you get from one account in any other MMO, so its a pointless discussion.

The problem is, and I think will show in May when lots of accounts expire on the old price, is that Wurm hasn't delivered on what people would expect from a 60% price increase.

Maybe we get more updates, but they are as buggy as before, and countless features are left unfinished or unpolished for years and years. Bugs remain ignored for so long that they

become features. (After 2+ years I can still sail back to Indy to get my skiller hatchet back up to the original enchant power, after wearing it down 20+ coc numerous times)

For example, for me personally, Wurm was a much better game 2 ½ years ago, before Epic came out, when I was living on Independence, when the spawn system was working, when it was fun going out hunting and exploring, and we didn't have weird things like rares, karma, personal goals, hell creatures, or missions. Don't even get me started on the creation system.

I can agree that Epic is a strange thing, but after having played both epic and Freedom 1,5 years in each ... I think Epic is more fun, even though I'm kind of a carebear, I don't do much PvP. The curve is a bit odd, not sure I like it, even though it makes the game more accessible for newer players. It divides the community and developer efforts and that is not a good thing.

Those features you list as bad I don't agree at all with, I like everything new coming into the game except the bugs.

When it comes to the effects of price increase I agree, it will be tough when the yearly subscription period ends. I don't know how I will continue after that. Having quite many accounts it will hurt to pay double the amount of money for them :(

Hmm was bored. At work. I spend avg 1200 eu / silver per yr on this game div by 13 months at 28 days per month and div 24 hrs = about 13.73 copper per hour it costs me . Or 3.3 silver a day to play, covert to Canadian money $4.65. I could

Buy two small cheese burgers. For that .

So ya even with 1200 eu a yr . Costing me very little. Really.

• Like 2

I understand what the OP is saying. The game costs to much for him/her.

We all have 2 choices, play or don't. If the masses left the game, Rolf would have 2 choices, drop the price or don't.

Just because 1 game is $5 a month and another is $10, doesn't make the game that is $10 overpriced, it just means that's what the developer values it at.

Saying that, Wurm is one of few games that offer a Play2Pay option whereby if you make enough money in game you can play for free - which is VERY achievable. (Mortar) Spend 20 hours in game and you can easily make enough silver for premium. I'm not talking enough for 1 main, 4 priests, a 85x85 deed and spending cash. I'm talking enough for premium, for 1 character. Play to your means.

Once all these pre-paid people on the old system expire, they also have a choice to purchase premium again or not. I personally don't have any issue playing what I am paying now (re-subbed for a year up front 3/4 days ago) as I like playing the game. I don't drink often, I don't have children and I think the game is worth what I pay for it. Yes, we'd all like to see bugs fixed or new features added but I have come to the realisation that Rolf runs on his own clock, he does what he wants, when he wants, how he wants and he doesn't care if you like it or not and I'm OK with that because I made the choice to be OK with it.

I've kinda got involved in this post more than I normally would, simply because a lot of you are complaining about something your not forced to play, or forced to pay for. You weren't even promised anything at any stage. If you don't like, you know what you can do, simple really.

• Like 3

Degrading your fellow Wurmians makes your arguments lose merit.  Share your ideas not your disdain for others' ideas.

step out of your little box mate, how was that degrading?

If you want to take my post personal that is your problem lol.

Or maybe you miss quoted?

Edited by lawurm

step out of your little box mate, how was that degrading?

If you want to take my post personal that is your problem lol.

Or maybe you miss quoted?

Many places would take offence. A little "box" is considered a little brain.  When you have you have a big box and can show us with a little box, that is just a bad metaphor. 

Better off just saying; A new perspective. 

Hope that helps. FWIW I knew what you meant. 

Wurm is a Co-Op type game for the most part. if you contribute and trade you can play the game cheaply. if you choose to do it all alone it will cost you a fortune.  The only reason i play this game is for the friends I have and the people in the game.  If I had to play alone and do all myself, i also would find the game too expensive and terribly boring.  

If i wanted to be alone, I could find better ways to spend my money.

I am as broke as the rest of the world. So This is my smoking, drinking, movie budget.

As of last few months you are correct about the expensive part, especially since US dollar gets a bad exchange rate. As for the boring... I find Wurm is more enjoyable for me when I play alone. I always have. (Many othrs over the years have as well or there wouldn't be so many hermits with deeds in the game). Yes I have been a villager. Yes, I have lived in densely populated areas as well as quiet areas where I am the only one in local.... and still overall I like Wurm best when I am alone.

So being alone is not boring at all, not for me. Now though it's just much more expensive than it was last winter. I can afford premium *OR* a deed now, but not both. More than likely I will never own a deed again. Now if I chose to play Wurm I will be a villager whether I like it or not.

That is how the price hike affected me. I think BaileytheFerret was attempting to say similar. No harm in that saying that on a forum. That's part of what forums are for in big picture kind of way.

(I have however been blessed... I am a villager of a deed owned by another Player that stays on another server.... so I am the handyman "deed sitting" and taking care of it. So far things have worked out great for me. That I am thankful for. It's not my deed but I still feel good about taking good care of the deed.)

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

Ok i did not know that and i think that it is unfortunate that people would think that way.

Enjoy some song lyrics about little box's here - http://people.wku.edu/charles.smith/MALVINA/mr094.htm

You are an A-hole delusional, Im sure that from your big box you will find the knowledge to realice why Im calling you this.

Edited by Rathgar

Can any mod or what ever close this topic. Its going oftopic and also not needed to be here any more.