Sign in to follow this  
Liandal30

Deeding Remorse :(

I am just curious as to how many of us have deeded a place to only regret it later. You think it's the perfect place to set up, but out of ignorance or  future needs for your deed you find that it's just too much work. I am experiencing this, I didn't know that the only way to change a marsh tile to a dirt tile is floor boards, and  there's certain areas I can't  make flat due to hitting rock or being too close to the water level, and if I want to expand and build more I have to literally surface mine part of a mountain to do so. I am starting to get envious of people who just find a nice flat piece of land and settle. I will never deed between 2 mountains and a lake again after this.

Has anyone else been in the same boat? I just don't want to feel too ashamed if I disband the deed to only deed another place yet again.

• Like 2

Yup, I think if we are honest most of us would admit to making mistakes in the past. The draconian settlement options don't help, not being able to move the token a few tiles without disbanding for example.

Edited by solmark
  • Like 1

Our first deed was like this. My sister and I wanted a place with a view and deeded on a mountaintop with a semi-walkable slope. We were brand new and had no skills to speak of, out on the steppes with no templar. Oh if we'd have only known. 

That being said, once you get decent (50ish) skills in mining, digging, carpentry and fighting you'll look back on this and laugh. Things like this will be fun challenges and not insurmountable. 

Edited by Mjneal

I think many of us have done this, picked somewhere for our deed, and not quite realized all the frustrations that might pop up based on our location. For example, when I dropped my deed, I didn't realize that the perimeter of the nearest deed would stop me 1 tile short of making mine how wide I wanted it; no longer an issue, that deeds gone. The amount of work involved, sometimes I wonder if I knew how much surface mining my place would take, and then I look back at the timelines I set for myself, and I guess I was pretty spot on. sometimes, I do wish I could shift my entire deed a tile or 2 over, or even being able to move the token to another part of the deed would be nice.

If you do disband the deed, consider three things, is the cost an issue for you? Did you properly evaluate the land in your new site you've chosen, making sure it has no insurmountable problems? Is your current site really that much worse than where you might move to?  

There's no shame in learning from your mistakes, and correcting them, but moving from one spot you can't handle, to another spot you can't handle, that'd just be bad.

That's partially why i have multiple deeds.

I started out thinking of just coming back to wurm to do a small homestead, not even going prem, so i chose a small aptch on a hill near the coast, with a neighbor that let me be a citizen.

Later my brother also wanted to join in (i had brought his char from inde along with mine) so we ended up deeding the place where i had settled (the neighbor was ok, and we could flatraise most of it). So we got there, and did all the stuff, the space was snug enough for us, so we were ok. Later we decided to prem up a alt and make it a priest. This meant we'd need a farm to grind some hfc. For that we needed more space, but expanding was out of the question, because it was mountain and sea on the E/W axis, and a deed already there on the N/S one. So, deed number two came up.

I still wouldn't trade my current deed location, but i wish that the mechanics were a bit more flexible.

I think the construction of most deeds, even those which seem perfect today, involved working around problems the owners didn't foresee when they planted it. I ran into the classic bedrock issue when we were flattening out the site for an earlier Silent Hill. It's all part of the challenge though. Having to come up with an ingenious solution for an unexpected problem is fun.

Still, the deed mechanics are a lot more flexible today when they were back then. We had to raise the entire deed area further back then; Today we could've just expanded the deed sideways to get the same amount of flat tiles. The deed prices of today are so good you can pretty much just work around any obstacles by buying more land. However, having the ability to relocate the token and/or expand in any of the cardinal directions would be even nicer.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

So you have a perfect deed and lots work to do.

Id rather have that than a flat pancake deed which will only suck 100000x of brick&mortar if i want castles to 'decorate' it :)

Be happy with what you have and make the best out of that, if that doesnt work out, just resize to smaller/sell it to someone who likes a challange.

I'm building an island from scratch. I chose that because I wanted to make a mark in the world, rather than just change something someone else has done. Looking back it would have been easier to pick a spot inland, deed it and excavate the area surrounding the perimeter into a moat and dig a canal to the sea, yet even if that is easier it would not be the same as knowing in the future looking back being able to say I DID THAT. It's a small deed, and I still have 60% of the island to build up and it's a daunting task but patience will prevail and I will get more out of knowing that I left a mark that only the most determined would ever attempt to erase.

Keep at it, even if you have to surface mine a hundred tiles, fill another hundred with 300dirts each and build a pair of guard towers to help your templars maintain order... you will have greater pride in your 'horrible' deed after the fact.

I don't regret the deeding. I regret the expense in extending the deeds periodically and watching the monthly upkeep continue to bankrupt me.

lol  yup.  my first deed was 70% clay .  bad idea.  my 2nd deed on deli was marsh too.  i bought 300 floor boards and made about 200.  it takes time. but instead of digging dow. raise it up. makes a nice cliff and huge area up to work with,  darkhold harbor  was my deed.

moved to cele a few months ago.  deeded a huge 75x65 deed cost me a gold coin i think a bit more ,jthen to put up two traders to help with upkeep. and make a tree deed. cost me over 9s a month.  i just killed it last night. and made 2 very small deeds for traders.  dont really need tree farms on cele. more spread out.  so i wasted over a gold coin and 4 months of 9s upkeep, for a deed i never used really.

having many deeds. oddly seems like it would cost more. but really cheaper. upkeep and planting wise. you can use perimeters for off deed things like tree farm and farming if fenced in.  just got to remember the 1s min upkeep so 11x11(22x22 realsize)deeds are good.

deeding with a bit of a perimeter addition helps too. i use to always have 20tiles added

i lived on indi as was to crowded for what i wanted. deli opened and it was perfect. i had about 20 diff deeds on deli.10 at one time. but every where.  cus of mines mainly too.  

after 3 yrs of playing i can now say. deed a coastal spot where your not to far from clay. and can mine near by.   mines  for me now i just save up and rod the viens i need. 

i have what i felt was perfact in north cele. and really is. but so much work to do.  I now bought a very nice deed in south cele. very large and over 100 buildings and walls all done and ready. soon i plan to open up to citizens i think just over 30 liveable homes. cottage-mansions sizes.    now that i own that . i only want to make a huge workshop/warehouse, and then just move there.   reducing my other deeds again.  so much silver into being happy where i live in the game. but worth it to me.

one last thing.  sight seeing.   helps a ton.  i sail and ride around looking at other folks deeds. gathering ideas .

Hehe, I regret founding my old deed of Darkcliff Hold on Celebration. It was a very nice secluded spot and I figured I would just fix it up a bit. It was fun at first. Building a shack, an animal pen, water fountain, starting a mine. -- But then the issues settled in. The ground was un-even and the dirt layer was very shallow; combined with the remoteness and rugged path to the coast delivery was out of the question. The entire time I was trying to level out areas to build my villagers houses my walls were being assaulted by angry trolls whom at that time were one-shotting my walls. Hell, one time I logged in to find Three of my walls bashed in and one of my house-walls at 98dmg. I'm not a newbie in fighting but I sure can't take a troll, let alone my poor fresh-start villagers being able to. The templar was non-existent (constantly dead). 

All in all we hung around for a few days kind of surveying the land, making sure we had iron, etc nearby but once we deeded all of the problems set in XD Eventually I got tired of having to repair/replace my walls every day when I logged in and RL workload began to pick up so I just stopped logging in and it disbanded on it's own. Oh well =\

Keep at it, even if you have to surface mine a hundred tiles

Or 150-200, and you have to mine them down 2-300 slope >.>. Alone. <.<

I find that each deed i build gets better and better..well for what i like anyway. I have an island on pristine that i am really starting to enjoy so much so that i sold my main deed on celebration and am moving over to play full time on pristine. Sure i hit walls all the time and think why i am doing this and if you just cant get over it move on sell the deed for what you can and move on. Sometimes it takes a new spot to get that excitement back for the game that you lost on a deed what you were not that happy with. 

Same goes for servers sometimes moving to a new server helps loads and i miss the new servers we were getting about every year or so that was always a good time.   :( ( I am ready for a new server, lol)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Did not realise that it would take over 120 000 dirt to work on my place but I don't regret it as it is shaping up really nicely, a year later. :)

Absolutely! It has taken me 4 attempts (and waaaay too much silver!) to finally find a deed I am happy with!

Its just an oppurtunity to work on your carpentry, digging, mining, and various characteristics skills. (Amongst others)

Now get to work and quit posting ;)

Edited by conmcb25
  • Like 2

Everyone runs into it sooner or later, especially when new to certain apsects of the game.

However, most things can be relocated now to some degree with the exception of traders.

Edited by Klaa

2 deeds on JKH

4 deeds on Indy

2 deeds on Dely (plus a few more for traders but those don't count)

I've finally found the prefect place on Deli at Yolem. The most important lesson I've learned is to make sure the land can be converted with the least effort possible. I want to grind skills not surface mine or dig 300 steep slopes.

wyyOtg7.png

• Like 1

I regret us deeding The Furious Gulf on Chaos.

We had a great set of players and friends at Port Benden, then when Rolf suddenly decided he'd pay attention to Chaos again, and turned on that PvP switch, we decided we needed to move and create a fortress.  Fast forward 40k bricks/mortar and 250k dirt... people were tired of logging in to wurm to dig or spam that crap... they quit... and I alone finished the walls.  I lost friends and some great players there, and what did we get for it?  Norad's idiot ass harrassing us in chat the entire time for trying to recruit and keep getting new members into JK.

I had it, with Norad (or wolfersmcwolf, or whatever alt he'd bought that day and then lost drake with) and with Chaos... the politics were old, and I was done.  So I left the place in the hands of a few that truly liked it and wanted to stay.  I deleted my JK fourm account and left to Celebration with the last couple friends that bothered to login through it all.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 7

Oof, we deeded literally on that hill just out of Strongbox.
Now, visually.. the location was -amazing.-
I liked my little road, my mine access, didn't mine helping newbies or offering them my own mine. Lots of farmland when you find time to flatten hillside, lots of  beautiful views.
But the problem is with griefers, murderey-noobs (Tyler, you -insert any swear here-) and with raiders - you are when so close to SB, unfortunately, a huge target.
So that didn't go well.
It was hella fun, though.

Well if anyone wants a challenge or free stuff my disbanded deed is west of the high wold. If there's anything left you are welcome to it. I just need to pop the writs  when I log in next.

Thank you  for all the replies.