Sign in to follow this  
tedrick

In a year...

Alright so about this time last year I started playing Wurm again after returning from the Afghanistan.  Not much fun there, stay home.  Anyhow I got back and apparently you could download some thingy to mine coins (in wurm) and make your video card spin all night and come back with a few more copper than when you had logged out.  Someone on these very forums stated that you could do better if you just mined bitcoins and then sold them to $ and then bought silver - I never did that but the gears of brain began turning.

Now I consider myself a smart fellow - so I bought 2 computers each with 4 7950s in them and set them to mining these bitcoin things.  I made about 40 bucks a day for a few days and then less and less until about I dunno June when it dropped below the margin for how much power I was pulling to generate them.  The age of GPU mining bitcoins was over.  Very sad.

But wait - there is more.  I found out what was killing the GPU miner were somethings called ASICs.  So I invested in some.  Heavily.  Through a particular Swedish company - who delivered and I got my 4 Jupiters in December.  Since then I have ROI'd and then about 30% more.  The point?

For years I have played games - never have the panned out anything productive for me - just a time sink with entertainment.  This past year though I have been catapulted to being capable of producing 2 Terahash of mining capability.  If you want to know what that equates to - google it.   I have Wurm Online to thank for this - in part.  

So I want to thank all of you for being around and making the game playable and fun for without me being here I would not have seen - to be able to know - to invest - to be as I am now.  No I am not buying an island and quitting the game.  

Just be aware when opportunity comes it might just look like work. 

All in year with you guys!!

• Like 1

It was an external little widget that made your GPU spin lots.  I found the widget here on the forums actually.  Else I wouldn't have much reason to tell you all thanks.

To be honest, Bitcoin mining is a pretty weird thing, but since you got jupitors, and at one point I was running a computer that was similar in all but processing power. It's okay, but you could have kept those 7950s and ran them in a pool for the extra off side bitcoin, also, a single bitcoin is worth more then you think now, and ever since the USA NSA insident, bitcoin's have grown at a constant rate in cash.

The thing about bitcoin's is: It will never decrease, and with that, it will crash sooner or later.

But with coinlab pretty much getting disabled, the client-miner is not much use, but I see from the post you're just straight up mining bitcoins, which is the better idea.

Anyways, I do to congratulate Wurm for still being a some-what fun place since i've joined.

:D

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 2, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate content
Hidden by Shrimpiie, February 2, 2014 - Removed - Inappropriate content

Did you kill someone in Afghanistan?

What? lol

thats the 1st thing I said lol

And gratz man on the bitcoins .. but the normal joe who pays taxes.. who paid YOUR salery when you where overseas dosnt normally have the 10k to invest in the hardware you have ..

We all can't be paid by the gov :D

and like the .com bubble when this bitcoin bubble bursts..

let me know how that works out for ya :)

WB to the net!

• Like 2

And gratz man on the bitcoins .. but the normal joe who pays taxes.. who paid YOUR salery when you where overseas dosnt normally have the 10k to invest in the hardware you have ..

WB to the net!

You ungrateful punk, he probably risked his life fighting for his country. What did you do today? So he gets paid by citizens of the country he fights for, you get paid by the people you work for don't you?

• Like 6

If you have the money to buy all those then why bother with bitcoin mining? Also what does all this have to do with wurm? The labcoin or whatever that is is disabled. 

WB to the net!

I would like to meet with you in person to discuss your salary comments.

• Like 1

The thing is people join up from ALL backgrounds.   Don't demonize the man because he appears to have spent a chunk on his hobby.  Go out and make your own.

I guarantee you, he didn't come to afford it with his USAF salary.

<<10 yrs in the AF and proud, but not rich from it.

You ungrateful punk, he probably risked his life fighting for his country. What did you do today? So he gets paid by citizens of the country he fights for, you get paid by the people you work for don't you?

How about we start judging people based on their actions rather than the uniforms they wear? Blind respect is just as harmful as blind hatred.

• Like 1

How about we start judging people based on their actions rather than the uniforms they wear? Blind respect is just as harmful as blind hatred.

There's a lot to say between say the actions of an individual who enlists in the military and one who borrows money from their family to play video games. I will agree that a lot of military who try to garner respect with their uniforms aren't worth the dirt they walk on but I think anyone who was ever in combat deserves respect. Also he has that money because though he was probably getting paid pennies on the dollar to risk his life he was probably trapped in a pit for 6 months or more with nowhere to spend it.

Edited by Stonesolid

If you have ever been in the military, respect isn't blindly given, its earned.

• Like 1

Hey if he caught it right he did ok....I know I missed out on 1000's of them a few years back for real cheap. :P

Have Fun with you're new toys I hope you can squeeze out a bit more before the diff turns into rooms full of super computers only.....

Now I consider myself a smart fellow - so I bought 2 computers each with 4 7950s in them and set them to mining these bitcoin things.

1245.gif

Thanks for serving!

Edited by Caesar

What a weird thread.

It has so much odd things going on at once; Military, politics, economics, wurm. It's freaking me out.

• Like 1

you should also mine some of the other type of bitcoins now when they are easy to create. one of them might become really valuable too