Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Remove deeding/expanding over aggressive creatures restriction

Lately several deeds have been running into problems when expanding and that is the code that blocks expanding/planting over aggressive creatures; you get a message like 'you cannot expand the settlement here as there are dangerous aggressive creatures in the area' and it is often extremely difficult to track down where these creatures are especially at deed sizes over 100 or if the terrain is not bad (mountains / heaps of collapsed caves)

This doesn't really make sense to me; what does this code accomplish? In my opinion all it does is force people to mine out abandoned caves to kill trapped animals and it seems completely unproductive. Surely if someone wants to plant a incredibly large deed it should be encouraged so Wurm Online gets more revenue?

I can possibly understand a little but why it might be good to disallow it on PvE servers as maybe you will try deeding over someones animal pen but on PvP servers it seems completely unnecessary.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

I think it works fine and should not be changed just so someone can quickly place 100 plus tiles deeds.

The guard will eventually kill what ever mobs and you can expand after that.

Or you can go find them and kill them yourself if you are in that big of a hurry.

• Like 1

I thought exactly the opposite.  Allow on PVE, 

Disallow on PVP due to deeding over a group of incoming enemies or a group in a mine hop just off your deed

I am unaware of the logic behind this restriction as well. Seems pointless to me. So you could then be able to deed over aggressive mobs if this restriction was lifted, big deal. What's the negative impact? Can't see any other than it makes the game "easier" to play in this respect and thus violates the Wurm taboo of doing so. Silly unnecessary restriction.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

when i deeded a 75x75 deed.  i had same issue.  i first tossed up 1x1 building in each corner abd middle. with 1 nail in 1 wall each to save it for a bit.  then deeded a quick 11x11 when the token should be . added 2 guards. and then started the expansion process. was lucky to get to 25x25. then had to wait about 15 min for guards to help me kill off about 14 critters.  expanded about 10-15 more tiles each time after that same thing help guards kill. after an hour i had my 75x75 deed. and started my tree farm. reduced to 1 guard after i built a tower.. then 0 guards after 2nd tower

Also you can always buy perimeter tiles like some do when wanting a big deed covered instantly and buy up the other tiles as the mobs are killed.

Go watch deeds pop up and a brand new server :)

Only thing slowing down massive instant deeding is those mobs and the fact it costs a little more to perimeter first then deed and cheap skates just don't want to pay up first to hold the land.

Besides if the threat of aggressive mobs,  people, etc...are there the land should not be able to be deeded until you conquer it and make it safe to deed which means kill them....

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

The initial thought with it was, I believe, to prevent people from trapping uniques on deeds. If they still feel that that is a necessary restriction I guess it'd be best to code a separate check for them because you're right, it's an unnecessary annoyance to clear the area of critters before deeding.

when i deeded a 75x75 deed.  i had same issue.  i first tossed up 1x1 building in each corner abd middle. with 1 nail in 1 wall each to save it for a bit.  then deeded a quick 11x11 when the token should be . added 2 guards. and then started the expansion process. was lucky to get to 25x25. then had to wait about 15 min for guards to help me kill off about 14 critters.  expanded about 10-15 more tiles each time after that same thing help guards kill. after an hour i had my 75x75 deed. and started my tree farm. reduced to 1 guard after i built a tower.. then 0 guards after 2nd tower

Sounds like New Darkhold on Deliverance to me. Anyway good approach under existing circumstances. By the way, since you sold that deed it has gradually degenerated over time, had a name change and is currently in a sad state of affairs with little remaining of the improvements that you had made to it. Since the access road through it and along the lake was blocked off long ago, I had a made a 2 lane highway around it for public access to points east and now barely need to give a glance in its neglected direction as I pass by onto more pleasant scenes.

Too bad that you have recently left the fair server of Deliverance and moved on to other distant lands, as then your memory will fade from there as well, as the winds loft them above the trees where they once resided as a steward of the lands. Only I remain in that area as others have left over time, whereabouts of most unknown; but this I have found to be the way of Wurm where the test of time leaves few standing to view the changes of decay and faded memories.

Still, in the quiet that remains there is peace to be found and perhaps in the sheltering woods a gravestone will be erected with an inscription of the name of the departed. Then some young Wurm pup may come upon it and wonder who this may have been and what fate finally drove them from these lands out into the vast expanse where only they could travel alone unrestricted by the fragile strings of imagination.

*dreams on*

=Ayes=

• Like 1

The guard will eventually kill what ever mobs and you can expand after that.

Noone on PvP servers has 'attack aggressive animals' option enabled as it would kill pets and hell horses.

Disallow on PVP due to deeding over a group of incoming enemies or a group in a mine hop just off your deed

I don't think that's really a problem; guards don't spawn immediately and also you need to found in your own kingdom

Also you can always buy perimeter tiles like some do when wanting a big deed covered instantly and buy up the other tiles as the mobs are killed.

Still needs to enter the deed for guards to trigger afaik, don't think a bigger perimeter will help.

Edited by Gavin

Noone on PvP servers has 'attack aggressive animals' option enabled as it would kill pets and hell horses.

I live on Epic (Desertion). Myself, and some neighbouring deeds have 'attack aggressive animals' enabled. For bear and hellhorse breeding, a stable off deed works just fine. As for the purposes of expansion, it makes perfect sense to turn it on if you have it turned off, let your spirit templars (If you have any) kill the hostile monsters, then turn it off, bring your hellhorses back on deed if you want them there. But, you didn't really want to think that one through, you just wanted to shoot down the clear answer to your problem.

Even if we moved the 200+ aggressive creatures off deed so we could expand the issue here is many of the animals blocking expansion are stuck in 1 tile collapsed caves that have no connection to a tile that is on deed thus there is no way for the guards to attack them even if you set them to attack aggro's. For us to expand further we need to continue digging out abandoned mines that might be as many as 8 years old with heaps of collapses.

Did I mention the deed is already s120 so there is a pretty insane large area to mine out? :P As is we have been expanding 1 tile at a time then spending a few hours clearing out caves to expand 1 additional tile in one direction haha. It just seems silly since a larger deed only means Rolf gets more income.

hmm it's my understanding. that critters in caves are not counted.  i was able to expand before while seeing red scorps in a cave a few tiles from me. and i expanded 20 tiles past it.   i could be wrong and just got lucky though

hmm it's my understanding. that critters in caves are not counted.  i was able to expand before while seeing red scorps in a cave a few tiles from me. and i expanded 20 tiles past it.   i could be wrong and just got lucky though

From my experience, this is correct. When I planted my deed, there was a pocket (fairly large one) with about 5 spiders, a lava spider, a lava fiend, and 2 trolls inside of it (I remeber well due to how traumatizing it was, me and my friend discovering this, and the bloody aftermath), and it neither prevented my placing the deed (the pocket was encompassed in the deed placement) nor further expanding the deed.

I live on Epic (Desertion). Myself, and some neighbouring deeds have 'attack aggressive animals' enabled. For bear and hellhorse breeding, a stable off deed works just fine.

Where abouts is this deed?  I don't believe you one bit. I need proof that you do this off deed somewhere.

Where abouts is this deed?  I don't believe you one bit. I need proof that you do this off deed somewhere.

Hold on, let me grab you the alliance map with all the deed locations, guard towers, tunnels, and boat caves on it. Please ignore the part that includes everyone's playtimes.

Hold on, let me grab you the alliance map with all the deed locations, guard towers, tunnels, and boat caves on it. Please ignore the part that includes everyone's playtimes.

Nevermind, finding you will be half the fun.

What about a balance - you are allowed to deed over aggressive creatures, but it costs you 1s per creature?

if deed is over certain size you can deed over aggresive creatures for free.