Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

Read before posting: How to handle different types of crashes

Java crash

When the game window disappears suddenly and nothing else appears, java has crashed. Look for a file named HS_ERR_PID, probably on your desktop. Post that file in a thread. Also post your console.log. Make sure you don't restart the game before posting the console log, since that will replace the old one.

If the cause is not immediately obvious (e.g. mentioned below) you should also enable debug mode and try launching the game again. Post the one or two crash files created from this as well.

Wurm crash

When the game window disappears and is replaced by a small crash window, the game client has crashed. Copy the contents of the text field and post them in a thread.

If the window says "Disconnected" or "Connection denied", it's not a crash as such. Consider that the server may be down or restarting, that you may be banned, that your password or username may be wrong, etc.

Wurm freeze

If the window doesn't disappear, but stops responding, the game client has crashed in a bad way. The window might be completely white, or it could just show the same image forever, the exact freeze state varies.

If this happens after you press the play button, locate the console.log in your Wurm directory and post that in a thread. If it happens before you press the play button, the console.log has not yet been written to file, so you have to enable the java console. For windows, this is control panel -> java -> advanced -> console. Enable console, start the game again, and copy the contents of the console window when the program freezes.

General advice

If you care about ensuring your computer can keep playing Wurm in the future as well, take time to test the test clients. Play with debug mode enabled a day or two every month and report any crashes it causes. If a problem remains unfixed, keep reporting it for new client versions - if the reports stop coming, the problem is assumed to have fixed itself. At the same time, don't expect any given bug to be fixed - if it isn't fixed there's probably a reason for it. You just make sure that reason isn't lack of reporting.

how do i cut and past my bug report?

Edited by shadowwolf

You should be able to open the error logs (HS_ERR_PID and  console.log) in notepad, use EDIT>SELECT ALL>COPY them EDIT>PASTE (or highlight test then use Control C and V for Cut and Paste)

It gets trickier (but not much) if your browser is MSIE:

editor.png

This is because there is a conflict between the IE browser and the editor used by some (not all) forum softwares. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Would be nice to have a how-to put the game in 'debug mode'. If I put the game in 'debug mode' that means I have to restart it which will mess up the console log correct?  Also, would be nice to know that I had to make a separate forum account, I assumed it was all connected.  The HS_ERR_PID is not on my desktop, where do I find it otherwise?  these are important question new players like myself need answered while trying to figure out why the client keeps crashing.

Just some input from a new player trying to play.

Would be nice to have a how-to put the game in 'debug mode'. If I put the game in 'debug mode' that means I have to restart it which will mess up the console log correct?  Also, would be nice to know that I had to make a separate forum account, I assumed it was all connected.  The HS_ERR_PID is not on my desktop, where do I find it otherwise?  these are important question new players like myself need answered while trying to figure out why the client keeps crashing.

Often the hs_err_pid error log is in the Wurm foilder, so if there is not one on the desktop look there.

If you're using 32-bit java and you experience crashes during start-up of the game or in the first few minutes then no HS_ERR_PID files are generated.