Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

Everquest Next Landmark!

For the limited size of the claims, they have said that both the size of a single claim, and the total size possible (including the ability to join you claim(s) with your friends claims) are all things being looked at.  They are limiting the size and number currently because they don't know how much space people really need.

Honestly, if they adjust the size up a bit and/or ensure the total cost of owning claims stays in balance vs demand (we don't know how much additional claims and upkeep will cost yet), I don't really see a difference between any game that lets you "own space to customize.

For example, Wurm, Second Life, EQNL, Horizons, all have plots you pay for, and more cost gets you bigger or more prominent locations, but none of them allow for actually unlimited size/building (Second Life and Wurm both have scaling costs, but there is an effective limit).

So why is this an issue in only one (or some) of them but not others?

Hello peeps.

There is a new server called SERENITY, so my deed... I mean claim name is obvious:

Ksb6Xe4.png

This claim is obviously on Serenity, north side of the continent Esker (I think). I doubt I'd be building some massive stuff (yet), but it's a nice place and I'll happily welcome any Wurmian (yes, even Freedomers:-D ).

See you in EQNL!

Hello peeps.

There is a new server called SERENITY, so my deed... I mean claim name is obvious:

Ksb6Xe4.png

This claim is obviously on Serenity, north side of the continent Esker (I think). I doubt I'd be building some massive stuff (yet), but it's a nice place and I'll happily welcome any Wurmian (yes, even Freedomers:-D ).

See you in EQNL!

Well considering there is no combat of any kind in EQNL yet.. doesn't that make you the EQ version of a "Freedomer" :D

One of us, one of us!

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2Gxm6nZAk

So... Wurm is cool and all but.. Lets see someone build this in Wurm..

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/431210017304244224/photo/1

There are a TON of other pretty darn cool things people have built as well.

OMG Awesomesauce!

Some darn good buildings are starting to pop up as claims become more stable,, think I said "Holy F-word" a few times while out mining Tungsten this morning.

Bought the Founders Pack a few days back and started playing. Too early for me to say how long it will retain my interest but thus far many enjoyable new things to experience there. As building is my main interest, I started to use their tiny blocks (voxels) to do everything and of course it was very slow work.

Then the other day I finally was able to reach the tier necessary to craft the select tool. Couldn't figure out how to use it myself until I searched around and found a player made video on the basics of it. Even then I had to work through the process and find my own best way to use the device. What is basically does is stretch out one of these tiny blocks/voxels into the shape you desire, enabling long walls to be made or large floor areas to be created then by clicking the white expanded shape with the create tool. Also large areas can be deleted this same way by using the select tool to outline them and then click that shape with the delete tool.

I had a claim originally far from the teleporter device that was then a very long walk to get to for access to the higher tier areas. When Serenity came up I was able to find a spot very close to the teleporter (forget what game calls them), so I first deleted my other claim and then placed on a mountainside there. Turns out it was a good choice for me, as I have instinctively made various platforms jutting out from the mountainside for a more diverse visual effect. Also part of the mountain can then be carved into (deleted) to make inner rooms as well. No particular plan to it all, just reveals itself to me as I continue to work upon it.

Anyway, all this will be intentionally wiped as the Alpha stage progresses, so I see it as merely a learning experience as to what appeals most and can be used in the future. The Dev's are actively learning about how a lot of features function under a large number of players use and making changes as necessary to improve the same. Seems they are doing well in this respect and nothing is written in stone, other than the mountains themselves. One thing I would recommend to those who enjoy the building aspects is to get to the tier level required to create the select tool before doing any extensive work, as it makes the process much more enjoyable and less time consuming.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

To your point Ayes,

Not sure how much you've read over there, but a lot of the earlier (and current) discussion on the EQ forums is about this very thing.  Leveling up your tools (axe/pickaxe/crafting stations), and creation toolkit (cursor types/brushes/etc...) before worrying about your long term claim.  Once the claims become "fixed" and final for open beta, I'm wiling to bet you'll see a good portion of the longer term players rush mining the areas to just speed craft these things.

Right now, I still feel this "gating" system needs to be reevaluated, upgrading/gating crafting tools is fine, but having to up grade your UI toolkit elements just seems counter productive.  In my opinion, it's an unneeded hurdle that does not add anything to the overall system.

I have not played the game at all and only watched a few videos but can you mine out of your claim? Can you make larger claims like you can with a deed and will that all cost you station cash or some form of in-game currency? Will this be full pvp or will there be claims in safe/pve areas? 

I guess i need to go look at it but the cartoon look of the game puts me off before i even get started looking at it, lol 

Currently you can't mine on your claim, no reason to except to get that look anyway - but there are a few tricks you can do to get that look.

You can't expand yet (alpha) but later we will earn claim flags that let us place more claims, or expand are current ones. Anything after the first claim will require upkeep (we believe in-game resources, though I'd bet you'll be able to with station cash to)

Pvp not much has been mentioned... I expect to see it, but we're not sure in what form yet. (Servers, toggle on/off, ect)

Also the cartoon graphics aren't that bad once you get in the game - at all, and all the sweet animations your character does pays up for it Imo ;)

Also, made some speed increase items. I outran Webb trying to sprint my just normal walking, with sprint on I was 60-70% faster... Freaking hilarious how fast you can get. ;P

Edit: Also, the crafting atm is definitely not the final state. Though honestly it's pretty good were it is, we through to the top tier in less then 24 hours (though there is 1 more tier, but we can't get to it yet until higher servers exist or they do the mining update) People keep saying teamwork doesn't work in the game, and that there is no "multiplayer"...... I've had the opposite experience,  we've been working together, helping eachother out with what we need, and we've now got a lot of people together, now we're all building areas next to eachother and looking & helping eachother with that. 

the building tools also require such high tier because, for the most part, you won't have many resources to do anything with until then...... Also note that you will be able to find "recipes" while mining, woodcutting, gathering, ect soon. and these recipes may allow you to get them sooner, cheaper, and maybe even different tools that we don't see yet.

Edited by Druidnature

See this is just it i dont want to play a game with junk like this all around me i want to play somewhat in the charater of building and surviving in the world not looking at crazy out of place sculptures of all kinds of stuff.  

I am still up in the air on this one but i guess it might be worth a look. Any word on end game content like once i get my claim built what is next is there mobs do you have to feed yourself...i guess i need to do more research on the game. 

Edited by Kegan

The "gating" system for the building tools was meant to help people learn each tool as they go. But I forsee a more proper tutorial being more useful in the future on what each does. Some of the tutorial videos have been a great help to me and allowed me to build a very rough observatory.

sisH3Dr.png

See this is just it i dont want to play a game with junk like this all around me i want to play somewhat in the charater of building and surviving in the world not looking at crazy out of place sculptures of all kinds of stuff.

I am still up in the air on this one but i guess it might be worth a look. Any word on end game content like once i get my claim built what is next is there mobs do you have to feed yourself...i guess i need to do more research on the game.

Sounds like you want a survival game, so far that's not what they are headed for. It's more so to be able to do, or build, anything you ever wanted.

Well after looking into it not sure what this landmark has anything to do with everquest the early access does not even carry over to when everquest actually comes out.  I guess if you are good at building that you might get your item in the actual game but paying $60 or $100 for just the early access to the building tool and not the real game i don't see it.  (maybe i am missing something..idk)

Edited by Kegan

Well after looking into it not sure what this landmark has anything to do with everquest the early access does not even carry over to when everquest actually comes out.  I guess if you are good at building that you might get your item in the actual game but paying $60 or $100 for just the early access to the building tool and not the real game i don't see it.  (maybe i am missing something..idk)

you're missing it, big time hahaha. a lot of people are actually.....

EQNL is NOT everquest next. it is Everquest next LANDMARK......it's a game, not EQN, not early access....it's a sandbox.

You're correct that some builds will be put in to EQN from EQNL once things are more smooth and devs ask us to build things for them, basically, EQN and EQNL are two completely seperate games though.  EQN = MMORPG  EQNL = Sandbox

It's not a "Survival" type game though, it's more about gathering, trading, building. (especially the building) And exploring once more biomes, underground, ect are added (very soon from what we've been told)

Edit: Also, EQNL will allow us to make items, Dialogue, npcs, ect. So it's going to be very interesting once things get a bit further down the road, luckly it seems the dev team is over-extending them selves every night, updates are coming extremely fast.

TLDR: EQNL is a game by itself, EQN is another game coming (this has nothing to do with EQN :) )

Edited by Druidnature

EQNL is not EQNext.

Kegan, I recommend you do not spend money on EQNL. I can tell from your concerns, you will not be happy with the type of game it is and is going to be. Although they will add creatures, biomes and more character progression, I don't see it being a survival/frontier game such as Wurm.

Wurm is safe in that market as hands down the best choice UNTIL Life is Feudal comes out.  That game looks INCREDIBLE and I hope people will go to Steam and vote for it to added to Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=224671046

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxHOjZLRxAg

is it just me or is this basically a carbon copy of Wurm?

except it looks like it's actually being done properly, but I guess we'll see if they have the long-term dedication to make it work or not

Mightsheep, I'd say it's a cross between Wurm and UO as it has open world PvP with a reputation system in place ( in my view anyway).  Combat looks good in it, and it's just put in to be Greenlit on Steam, it achieved 20% of the votes needed for that within 6hrs of being listed.

Game has just entered Closed Alpha, with the heavy donators (50Euro or more) getting an invite, videos i've seen look good though. so certainly one worth watching.

Picked this up yesterday so if you see Tekaan in game its me! Feel free to get in touch in-game if anyone grouped up in a region or wants to

Webb, what graphics settings you on? that looks terrible from when I walked in and saw it, was MUCH more.....err......detailed

I'd have to look, but I don't have my settings on "ultra" anymore. I turned off some of the shadows and such. Like a lot of games, the way shadows and such are implemented they kill my FPS. I am sure that as the engine and such get much more optimized I'll be able to start turning them on again.