Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

Everquest Next Landmark!

Is there a plan for wurmians dropping plots near each other yet ?

It's planned, but we're still all working on getting things up. :P

So far, it looks to be 2 wurmians and 2 others we've met. though I'm guessing once we're more "stable" we will be looking for others, Unless webb/doc want to start organizing those things already.

Ps: there are some very friendly people on this game too, though most seem to keep to themselves. :o

Okay got my founders pack and waiting in que....

Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Okay got my founders pack and waiting in que....

Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! Lemme in! :rolleyes:

Hahaha, "You are not prepared!" :P

Edited by Druidnature

Private chat channels appear to be working; since there seems to be a good handful of us, use "/join Wurmians" to come say hi if you'd like!

I'm going to join with the ranks who pass on the whole EQNL buzz... after what SoE has done to us over in Vanguard for so long I am just not thrilled about handing more cash to that crowd. Much rather spend it elsewhere... and nearly anywhere else.

gotta admit though that the hype in prerelease does look good.

I have been following their launch of Landmark alpha on some various websites. From what I have gathered thus far the servers have borked up badly over Sat-Sun making logging back into the game having very long wait times. Then claims were lost as they had to wipe servers due to various problems. Yes, with an alpha release to be expected but seems that initially playing time has been limited because of these issues.

I just gather this from reading various sources, so would be interested in reading of further experiences from those of you who have been able to play the game. I know as fellow Wurmian's we share a similar experience of building within this game, so your viewpoints would be of much interest in comparison and what Landmark has to offer that is appealing to you all.

Thank you for your further thoughts and input in this respect. Myself I am considering this game, as building within Wurm has always been my focus. From what vids I have viewed it is far superior to Minecraft in graphics and building shaping effects, so it may be another game that could be enjoyed as an alternative to Wurm when a diversion is needed or the game is offline during some server glitches. Perhaps then our paths may cross there but likely I will take the independent route and keep my whereabouts unknown, heh.

Anyway, I hope those playing Landmark will get much enjoyment from their time there, with the game improving during this alpha stage and new enjoyable aspects added to it as it evolves into beta and then full release. Seems it has good potential for the future. Time will tell.

Safe Travels,

=Ayes=

Heh sounds like an alpha alright.

Have had a pack for some time, so if you ever see a Klaa wandering around, it may be me (accept no substitutions or copies!). However, while helping with family, I dont have my regular rig to dabble with.

On the other hand this amazon Fire HDX tablet is awesome. Only complaint is the lack of ports and expansion slots aside from a miniUSB.

So hows the mining? fully 3D? Any pre-rendered "natural" caverns?

Hopefully I can Remeber all of this while typing...

@Klaa the mining is voxel... 3d is like, 1900s this is the 21st century. ;) the mining is the BEST in any game thus far. The caverns are NOT in yet. There will be caverns, tunnels and complete BIOMES!!! Once they flesh things out some more (they've shown a huge under grown lava filled cavern, it was huge and awesome!) (I also suggest looking for a video, the NDA is off so people have to have mining videos up) also mining depends on the tool you have, I got lucky last night and got a extremely good superior pickaxe, and I'm tearing through the ground like crazy.

@Ayes I don't like saying this, but the building completely demolishes wurms... It feels more like your in a program doing designs then playing a game. You are pretty close to unlimited on what you want to create. You don't place a "stupid wall" here or a "floor" here. You build exactly what you want, where ever you want it. It can't even be compared to minecraft with its "can build anything"... It just destroys what I've always thought and expected of being able to do.

Now, so far the alpha's been running pretty good except yesterday, but they are upping servers to be able to handle more. And overal the 5 of us playing are having a complete blast. I can't get over mining, it's just too fun. >_<

My only personal complaints: cutting wood isn't voxel (yet) you just walk up, hit it until the tree dies, and get your wood. I'd rather see something where you have to cut through the tree and it then falls down.

The player base: now, I've met some VERY friendly people, however the general forum users are "that" crowd... (Minecraft, WoW, steam...) and love to cry over anything and everything. The games pretty dang easy ATM but there already complaining it's to hard. -.-

Can't really trust what others are saying ATM to be honest, it seems a lot of the complainers have no clue what the heck they are doing. People are complaining that there is no spot to place plots/deeds at the moment. When there is a TON of spots - if you walk a minute away from the spawn. (Feel like I'm back in WoW >_<)

So far, bug wise, I haven't really ran into any except for the server lag that was mostly fixed yesterday, and cutting the really large trees with the founders pickaxe can be a bit of a pain.

Overal, this game has already gone far - far - over my expectations. The mining is addictively fun, the building is.... (I can do WHAT?!?!) and I also have to say, the player animations are really, really, fun. Constant front flips/back flips/side flips/running on hands to get over a little bump, ect. It's really fluid and just awesome to see them.

With all that being said, I'll likely be posting a auction soon for one of my deeds as I'm going to be spending most, if not all, of my time over there. So I'm gonna either put a lot of upkeep in my big deed, or sell out. We'll see soon enough.

Hope everyone's having fun, and keep on wurming!

Edit/ps: as a side note, I may decide to stream or put up a few videos if I feel like it soon so everyone can see what a few of us have been up to. ;P

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

As one of the folks who "lost a claim", it was due to the servers instability, they patched the server code (in the middle of the night after working all night on it) and when the servers were restored, so were the "lost" claims.

Mining is fun in that "Oh muy gawds" kind of way when you realize you can dig for as long as you like unless you hit a map boundary or a person's claim, and you get resources for doing it.

My one "issue" is in the building UI, they've gated the creation brushes requiring you to level up your work/crafting stations, which require harvesting A LOT of resources.  Right now, with everyone scrambling around in the same general areas, it's a bit tedious at times, but it's more because of the other people than because of the game dynamic.  I've been able to get up into the Tier 3/4 range on tools and creation brushes, and have moved my claim to the middle of no where on a Tier 3 region because I didn't want  a lot of people around me.

There is a lot of open space to place claims, but some users have an issue where you cannot place a claim.  Logging out and back in clears the map issue and you can place claims again.  One of the things they did, which I like, was to include a display filter on the in-game map showing claims and the "buffer"/perimeter around the claim that is "no build".

As to the general construction, it is very simple in the approach, your basic create "brush" is 1 voxel cubed, you have a few sizes taking it to 2x2x2 or 4x4x4 (it's actually bigger than this, but just showing a simple overview)

The materials you harvest while in the world become your building materials, and you can use any of them in anyway you like (dirt/metal/wood are all interchangeable in any application).  Added to the types of brushes you can unlock, you really have a great deal of control over what and how you build.

For furniture, they use a prop system (prebuilt templates you can position or scale as you like) but you still need to gather the resource to build them.  If you decide to change your claim location, it creates a template of everything placed/built, packs everything back into your inventory, and when you place the claim in a new location, you can "load" the template again.

• Like 1

Ayes,

Yes its been a VERY typical alpha start with crashes and queues. The deeds were "lost" but then restored with everything wiped on them except crafting stations that were built. Again, typical alpha stuff.

I haven't logged on yet today, but as of yesterday, there is was only 2 servers and way too many people trying to log into them. I finally got a good chunk of playtime in after the crappy super bowl last night and finally got to upgrade my pick and build a little on my claim before I had to get some sleep.

The building is amazing! Its like being a game designer I would imagine with the exception of you have to gather your resources where as a designer has unlimited resources. I went to the top of a mountain and lowered my claim down into the mountain in order to build an underground fortress. In a matter of minutes I was able to carve out a nice landing entrance and then a corridor into the mountain where I carved out a room to put my crafting station, my vault, and torches. Very powerful add/delete capabilities that are scalable. You can add/delete a small voxel or scroll the mouse wheel and make the cube huge to do the same. I wish the claims were bigger, but later they will add the ability to add claims to existing ones. Players will be able to own a lot of claims as long as they can cover the upkeep.

The social tools are VERY rough right now and very annoying. I cant figure out how the add friend command works, the chat doesn't scroll up when adding lines, and no guild stuff in the game yet. If you don't create a chat channel for friends, all your chat will scroll by very fast when mining due to the resource gathering reports whizzing by.

Only a couple biomes in alpha and no caverns yet. Basically just desert/mountains and forest atm. Also no water, that will come at a later date also.

Character levels and creatures will be added later so none of them yet in alpha stage.

The community so far is "meh" a lot of idiots on the forums who have no clue what Alpha testing means and really have no business being in one. Sony IMO is taking a huge risk opening a game this early in development to this many people. Its a very interesting experiment though.

I myself will be spending A LOT of time in EQNL, but will not sell my deed on Pristine until I see the end product of all this. Its way too early to tell.

• Like 1

Only forest/desert atm :) the "mountains" are just apart of those.

Also, there is no friend-list at the moment... we've just log into a TS someone from the game provided us to know who is on at the time, I do hope a friends list comes soon, and being able to see eachother on the map.  would be a huge help.

Also because I noticed 1 person mention this on the EQ forums: This is NOT a game for "Realist" Definitely going to be plenty of "realistic" things I'm sure, but there is going to be heavy fantasy. (Picture everquest......everquest2.....you get the idea.)

Anything pve or pvp-related in atm? So far it sounds like a building sandbox, granted even Minecraft's creation phase was fun.

Edited by Klaa

Im in - Lumpygravy is my name

There is no fighting ATM but mobs are planned for the future, Not sure about PvP

For those that haven't made or seen it yet.. You really, REALLY should try out some dynamite!! I want to make a better video of it with sound on but here is a little peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaAkXPF8k8&feature=youtu.be

EDIT/PS:

As folks have said, it's VERY alpha and has lots of typical alpha things going on. That said, the team have been pulling a ton of all nighters to fix issues and the communication about issues, fixes, status, etc. is just awesome! Something I haven't seen from near any other alpha, beta, or released game before.

Edited by Webbler

For those that haven't made or seen it yet.. You really, REALLY should try out some dynamite!! I want to make a better video of it with sound on but here is a little peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaAkXPF8k8&feature=youtu.be

EDIT/PS:

As folks have said, it's VERY alpha and has lots of typical alpha things going on. That said, the team have been pulling a ton of all nighters to fix issues and the communication about issues, fixes, status, etc. is just awesome! Something I haven't seen from near any other alpha, beta, or released game before.

OMG, I didn't know we had Dynamite LOL that's awesome!

Here is a link to some of the many things they are working on right now https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/state-of-the-alpha-2-3-14.9420/

OMG OMG PLEASE GOD Don't be the same person as I'm thinking of from Deli... I've already noticed some of the same retard typos in the post..

See red circled name...

http://imgur.com/HDPcm3w

OMG OMG PLEASE GOD Don't be the same person as I'm thinking of from Deli... I've already noticed some of the same retard typos in the post..

See red circled name...

http://imgur.com/HDPcm3w

I would lol so hard.

Thanks Aether... Love you too.. :(

You seem to forget, I was the one person he feared and respected.

Got a Terapherna problem? Who you gonna call?

• Like 1

LOL.. I feel kinda sorry for the poor guy who got stuck with the account and can't even give it away. :P

Druid-Nature!

/lifts up his T.N.T

;P well played.

Druidnature, Hussars, Corwen, Thanks for the interesting and informative posts. I knew that Wurm players with the building experience here and patience acquired over time would have some insightful points to contribute on the experience of playing within Landmark. You all (Wurm players) will have a special appreciation and discernment not available to most who are experiencing this as a very much new concept.

No doubt the quick ability to accomplish many building tasks will be a dramatic departure from Wurm but therein with the small size of claims I believe its weakness lies. By this I mean, when one has finished building their claim what more would there be to do? One thing that strikes me right off the bat is that since all these claims are scattered everywhere about the maps, a system of good player built roadways would greatly contribute to an ability to visit them in some sort of organized way, just as Wurm's highways and byways connect the whole system of player villages together. Yet there I have read no mention of this concept by the Devs. Seems to me as something that they have completely overlooked and will just lead to a more isolated and disorganized jumble of homesteads (claims) scattered across the lands.

This idea that sticks with me, that once your claim is all built not much more to do, seems like a dead end, in that Landmark seems like a quick fix enjoyable building experience. Yes, I read that they are wanting to make player controlled NPC's available and introduce some aggros into the lands, so there may be something interesting beyond completing ones claim available in the near future.

Anyway, hopefully those of you that are enjoying Landmark will not be too quick to abandon these fond Wurm lands, your holdings and characters within it for this new sirens song of wonders, lest you be left dashed upon the rocks with no home left within these lands as a safe and peaceful retreat from that hectic pace of fabrications yet to be proven substantive. A cautious approach has always served me well and I hope will do the same for you all as well, yet enjoyment provided by this new offering in online diversions is best served by indulgence within it, eh? 

I hope to read more of your insightful comments here in the future as the days unfold with new discoveries made, game problems resolved and improvements added. A interesting and enjoyable time to be had therein, for sure. For those who appreciate its allure, this early alpha learning stage and benefits of early claims in beta will no doubt serve them well and have been a wise investment for their future time to be spent within those lands. In this I wish you well.

Safe Travels,

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I'd love to try the game but there's no way until I can get a new comp. The system requirements are pretty steep and my comp right now is about ready to enjoy free-fall from my 3rd story window.  :)

I know a few people who are playing it though and they say it's just amazing.  I'm with Ayes in wondering about the longevity of the experience though, given that everything can be done so fast.  I understand you can keep adding claims and also that they plan on adding (at least) pve eventually, so who knows?.  

On the other hand, it may not really matter in the end since their subscription model wont' be on a game by game basis any more (in the very near future.)  $14.95 a month for everyone and that includes all their games, with multiple characters per game, including Landmark and EQNext.  That alone I think will serve to keep most people busy, especially those who are easily bored.  lol

I do agree with the "endgame" with the tier system, and random chance, it may take a while to get the best gear, but what happens once you haven't is what I was wondering before I joined alpha.

Now, I'm not worried, I am addicted to the stupid mining, yes... Mining. Not even building! I can't even get to that part hahah. I don't know why, but I'm stuck on it, love trying to go and get all the ores/gems for no reason what so ever other then to dig a hole.

But I've also noticed one thing it has going for it, to make the buildings requires a decent amount of resources, of course depending what your building. And once you "finish" a area? Well guess what? Surprise! You can "template" it. Save it for later, move it anywhere you want. So you can have a single claim if you really want, then build, template, delete what you made, then make a new one - and do it all over again! So that Imo will be a very fun, unique, feature that just may keep a lot of people going by itself.

You can also sell those templates on the marketplace, and if it's really, really, good. SOE may just use your creation in Everquest Next.

I can't wait for the pve though myself, they've showed one enemy, a man-eater plant. Looks pretty sick... Will be interesting how much pve we get, and how it's implemented (based on biomes? Random?)

Some bad news for those with 32 bits however, the game has just went full 64 bit due to 32 causing issues. They will no longer be supporting 32 bit so you can either -

1: Upgrade to 64

2: get refunded. (If you've bought the game)

(Also seems they are handing out refunds to the few ppl who don't like it O.o)

I agree with both Ayes, Amadee, and Druid.

I wonder a bit about the later stages of the game possibly getting a bit boring, so I won't be selling out of Wurm anytime soon.

As Amadee said, later on you will be able to have more than one claim. I'm still interested on how they will work this. Personally I plan to *try* and get them to use a system very much akin to Wurm with being able to choose the size (within limits) you can afford to buy and maintain the upkeep on. It is also not clear just yet how they will handle the upkeeps. They have had a meeting today to discuss in-game currency though.

They have said a lot about how it will be a F2P game, but how that will work as well is still unclear.

Some of the great things I look forward to is the PvE, new biomes, deeper subterranean areas, more crafting stuff, and lots of the other things they have mentioned in some of the videos.

I do plan to suggest a way for players to build a road system similar to Wurm as well. But due to the possible playerbase, this might prove difficult to prevent griefing, etc. Another thing I don't like is how they talk about eventually, everyones claim will be searchable and findable in some form on the map. In Wurm, I have my deeds on the Deliverance map, yet I know plenty of folks that prefer to stay "hidden". And I'm starting to debate whether or not to have my deeds removed from the map as well.

The game, like Wurm, has lots and lots of potential, and I'm happy to try and give constructive feedback to help keep it on the track that I would like to see. Which includes some of the things that I really adore in Wurm. Many of those things I also think help improve the community as a whole so we're not all surrounded by whiney, griefing, players like the many that plague newer games such as WoW.

Only time will tell with this one just as it does with all things. As they release new goodies I'll try and let you folks know what they might add, how it works, and what my opinion is. That said, for those of you not in the Alpha who might see certain things and have ideas, by all means, let me know and I'll forward the suggestion on! :)