Sign in to follow this  
Gorm

Wurm Shop - what is Onetoofree AB?

Wurm Shop is working again and I could pay for my prem. But wtf is Onetoofree AB and why my money went there and not to Mojang? Maybe I missed some announcement? I'd like to know who received my money and is it ok or not to pay some Onetoofree AB instead of Mojang. I got my prem, but I still want a confirmation.

Onetoofree, it's Rolf's company I don't remember much but there was a blog or something before about it. I think Mojang is Notch's only now or something I'm not really sure sorry.

Yes, you are correct. Onetoofree AB is Rolf's business, and the Mojang specifications trademark has returned to be used only by Notch. Labels and stuff will update to reflect the new name in time.

That name is a little ridiculous tbqh, Rolf!

How about Rolfware or "ROLF!"

Yeah, I agree...a bit of an odd name.

Rolfland?

RAWLF!

Yes, you are correct. Onetoofree AB is Rolf's business, and the Mojang specifications trademark has returned to be used only by Notch. Labels and stuff will update to reflect the new name in time.

Just to add some official confirmation, this statement is true :)

Rolf is so funny, trying to make people think it's free.  ::)

I guess all the wurm merchandice will have to be updated now!

Onetoofree AB is Rolf's business, and the Mojang specifications trademark has returned to be used only by Notch.

That's just funky to me. Sure Rolf coded the game play and Notch supposedly only did the client... but, from out here in lawn-chair-theater-land, it really does seem like they were equals in creating wurm. As far as customer support and player morale goes (at least through beta) - Notch covered the greater share of that. In fact, I'd say there were several times that wurm would have tanked if it had not been for Notch working the forums and irc like a trooper... keeping people calm, arguing features, working through bugs.

It's a shame to see them split up. Especially to the point of having to decide the "custody" of the intellectual rights of the word Mojang. If there's anyone around that has a different view I'd really like to hear it explained because I'll always look at wurm as being 2 people. It took alot more than "server-side" coding to get where it's at just like Oz was always more than just a single wizard behind a curtain.

It's a shame to see them split up. Especially to the point of having to decide the "custody" of the intellectual rights of the word Mojang.

That's just funky to me. Sure Rolf coded the game play and Notch supposedly only did the client... but, from out here in lawn-chair-theater-land, it really does seem like they were equals in creating wurm.

We were indeed equals in creating Wurm.

Here's the real and true story:

In the beginning, Rolf and I worked at the same job. We had a lot of fun, playing games and writing code.

Rolf wanted to make a massively multiplayer strategic game (with boats!), and had a test client/server up and running, looking mighty nice. I was working on several minor projects, never finishing anything, and really wanted to develop a first person view of a neat fantasy world.

We decided to work together on some bigger projects and started brainstorming ideas. It turned out we could agree very well on what we believed would be an extremely cool, nonlinear, and mostly, important-feeling game. We were both massive MTG nerds at the time (my Birdpoop deck freaking owned, I tells you!), and decided to use the word "Wurm". Most of the backstory got decided around this time, most of it somewhat vague.

I wrote the client, he wrote the server. We decided everything together, which sometimes let to arguments, but was very good for the game. After a while this way of working started to tear, so we decided to split up the decisions, with him being in charge of the server (since he was coding it), and me being in charge of the client.

This led so some frustration where I felt I didn't really have the kind of creative control over the game that I wanted, but I also didn't want to force my way back to the old way, especially since Rolf had a brand new kid to manage.

Time passed, and some real life crap happened to me, making me need more time for myself. Or perhaps I just needed less "musts" in my life for a while.. That, combined with my growing frustration over losing creative control, led to me reluctantly deciding to step down. I gave a big chunk of my ownership in Mojang to Rolf as it didn't feel right to just quit.

As for the name "Mojang Specifications";

Rolf and I were playing Eve Online sometime before deciding to start Wurm, and we wanted to start a corporation. I suggested the name "Mojang Specifications" (or perhaps it was just Mojang still at that point) from the Swedish word "Mojäng", he laughed and agreed. We designed some silly logo with gears in it to be used in the game.

Later, when we needed a name for the company making Wurm, I suggested reusing the Mojang name, and designed the logo for it. I really fell in love with the name at this point. I mean, seriously.. Mojang. :D

After I lost some ownership in Mojang (since Mojang owns Wurm), I no longer had an equal part in the Mojang brand. I really loved that name, and it sucked to see it go, especially since I've managed to work in http://www.mojang.com/notch/ as my personal home page to some success. So I spoke to Rolf about it, and he very generously agreed to let me take over the Mojang name, meaning the company I own a relatively-large-but-not-majority share in is Onetoofree AB. It's the new name of the company that's Rolf and I.

Mojang Specifications, I get to do whatever I want with. So far, it's pretty much just to host the /notch/ page, heh.

So that's the story. =)

Much Love,

Notch

Nice to see you lurking in the forums Notch.

Live long and prosper

Notch - We were indeed equals in creating Wurm.

Here's the real and true story:

Why do I have this sudden urge to write a song?

"The Ballad of Notch and Rolf"

Resist, bear, resist ...

hearing onetwofree makes me picture something being 100% free.

Maybe:

OneTwoKindaFree

No more Mojang thongs  :'(

Tragedy.

It's the new name of the company that's Rolf and I.

So, are going to be helping with Wurm again or what.

It's the new name of the company that's Rolf and I.

please god yes

I guess all the wurm merchandice will have to be updated now!

dammit, gonna have to get a new shirt...

No, unfortunately not.

you ever gonna play it the way we do? (question for you and rolf :P)

ah wow, memories  ::) I miss playing Eve online except for the horrible time to learn skills.  :-XThat's why I left ok lol