Sign in to follow this  

Project updates are at bottom of post

The time has come

On February the 8th work will commence on the spawn lake canal.

The initial sites will be opened up later this week, just to make the planning on the day easier.

The canal will be 3 tiles wide, to allow for the passage of both boats and carts.

We have obtained permissions from the nearby deed owners at both ends, as well as the deed owners in between (those who's perimeter we will be digging near).  Any GMs reading this who would like to add official support are invited to do so.

The route and canal layout is shown below :

Proposed_canal_route.png

This is a place to pledge your support.  To inform people of why there might be a mass of people concentrated in one place (great for sermons).  It will also be the page announcing updates for the project.

We hope to be finished by the 9th of feb (this is a weekend long event).  It will be running 24 hours till completion.  The total length is just under 200 tiles (not all of this will be underground).

The plan of action is as follows

1.  Dig the pilot tunnel (1 thick), south/west most side, above water level
1(a).  During this phase LOW QL stone alters are welcome to be made for the purpose of sermons
1( B).  During this phase food/water will be needed
1©.  Any veins uncovered will be mined out, so feel free to bring a cart to set up furnaces etc
1(d)  We have done out best to check for existing mines, if one does block the area we might need GM intervention if there is a fortified tile in the path (as there are no WORKING mines there).
1(e)  We will have a couple of combat ready fighters nearby, just in case of hostile breakthrough.
2.  Widen tunnel north/east 2 tiles
2(a).  This will not begin until the tunnel is officially checked
2( B),  If you want to have a tile leading off for you to connect later on to an underground road or canal of your own now is the time to mine it out (please just inform us before you do).
3.  Once this is complete sink the south/west most tiles down to the finally decided level (We are aiming for 22 so all ships can pass)
4.  Place supports to complete tunnel.
5.  Celebrate in taking part in one of the largest canals ever built.

So many of you may be asking "How can I help?"

That's simple, come mine, make supports, feed the miners, use your magic to make things a LOT easier etc.

Just post below what you're willing to contribute to this momentous undertaking.  If you just want to help generally please do post with that as it gives us a good idea on numbers.  There will be some high Q picks provided to people who turn up early (we can't make enough Q80 picks for everyone!)

It is estimated that we will need 400 supports to fully fortify the canal, if you want to contribute a certain amount please give an estimate in your post (just makes it easier so we don't overshoot)

Priests (especially mag) are encouraged to turn up to lend their magic to the event, there will be sermon holding resources.

During the event names will be taken for a small memorial placed at the spawn lake side of the canal to commemorate those who helped out.

Edit : Helpful Items

High Q Meals (Opulence cast for best effects)
High Q Picks (COC/WOA)
Mine Supports (400)

Edit : Jan 28th Update

As a prelim measure the actual entry to the rock will be cut this week/next week.  No major digging will take place, but to finalise planning it's better to just mark the locations with their actual holes.

The canal will be doored initially as an anti-griefing measure (to prevent someone dooring and locking everyone out), these doors are PASSABLE TO EVERYONE and will not hinder work in any way.  Once the canal is complete these doors will be removed as we hope to get it recognised (and protected) as a heritage site.

Again, I look forward to seeing everyone on Feb 8th, the decided starting time is 8am GMT.  There will be someone at both sites the day before (the 7th) for people who want to double check the location.

Side Note : I've been informed that a 1.5 thick canal might be troublesome for larger boats.  Time allowing we'll thicken this by 1 tile (to 2.5 tiles for ships).

Edit : Feb 4th Update

To quote our chief engineer (she's opening up the tunnel ends to make things easy) "[19:02:21] <Tarator> we are in desperate need of bsbs".  People are also invited to bring sacrifice materials and gems for the mag priests helping out.

"[19:14:11] <Tarator> mag priests need stuff to sac/60ql sheets/cordage ropes / what ever yall sac ;)"

People are invited to bring their sail/rowboats to help haul things clear (since we are digging then lowering there will be a LOT of rock!).

We've hit a snag in that Curlex has not been seen for over a week now and he did not set it so we could dig on his deed.  We're in the process of relocating the spawn lake entrance.  The salem side is open with part of the pilot tunnel dug.

Edit 2 : Feb 4th

Should all go well the tunnel will need lighting, those who enjoy making barrels/digging for tar/making lamps are encouraged to bring their tools and some materials along!

Edit : Feb 8th (T-7 hours and 20 mins)

The spawn lake end is being opened.  The main dig will be salem side.  We will be handing out the high QL (80!) picks there.  A fo priest will be on call to offer healing for any injuries (be it a trip or a troll).

This is the final call for priests and players to remind them that the dig starts at 8am uk time.  I will be there a few mins before to direct people in where to dig.  If you bring a horse in need of a genesis cast this will be provided gratis (first come first served).

The pilot tunnel is already well progressed and the salem opening is complete.

To say our thanks a QL50 corbita is being offered as a prize to our most committed digger (starting tomorrow) with the honour of being the first ship to sail the canal.  This was donated by our prelim diggers so a special thanks to them!

Edit : Feb 10th

Over the past 2 days I have seen more players working towards a common goal than I have in a long time.  A rough estimate puts the turn out at over 60 players over the course of 2 days.  The result?  The core canal has been mined, there are veins left in place (free minerals anyone?).  I personally will be continuing to eke out those veins, as will many others.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part this weekend but especially Ardraug, Dalvea, Tarator, Earwicker, Deri, Ordinii and Pride to name but a few who all put their hands to the preliminary work of opening the canal salem side and overseeing much of the digging due to my unplanned absence.

So many people contributed it is hard to name them all (I'd fill a page and probably miss the important ones because my memory for names is terrible!).  It's been a fun weekend of digging and wealth.  Everyone has gathered something from it I hope, even if its just a few new friends.

If you want to keep helping the canal just head to the site and mine out those veins!  Once the main canal path is clear we'll be opening to boats (the footpath will take a bit more work but lowering for small boats is a bit less).

Watch this space.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 3

As owner of Salem (Lehanan) , looking forward to this being built.  Earwicker and Stoneshaw be there to mine /dig

Edited by siglio

Feb 8th is a Saturday just fyi,  first thing i looked to see IF i could help is what day of the week it was...

I can send my mag priest along who can help mine/fight/strongwall.

I'll probably come along with 3 mining characters on that day.

Edited by Delakar

i have a high level mag i can toss in as well

Edited by Terpsichore

I wil be there with my trusty pick and Deri to ! ( not told her yet but .. meh ill srag her along ) 

The Gnomes will be supporting this operation. Will also donate some needed items, will update this post with said items asap!

Spread the word everyone, Let us connect spawn lake to the rest of the world!

I shall try to attend as well.  I opened up the tunnel on the north side of Wyvern Lake  (not on maps yet....not fortified, so cave ins are possible...haven't been there in a few weeks...a Corbita is a tight fit, but I hear Knarrs work well in it.)    I hope you don't run into any 'mining messages'.  They are a pain to work around.  (At least for me they were.)    I was working alone mostly and without any priest to fill in or reset open areas above.  (assuming thats the plan)   Perhaps I will bring some support beams to donate to the cause.   Two weeks notice.....good planning.

Update:

Groundwork for Salem (sea) side of exit, from the surface end, is done.  Bit of fine tweaking may still be needed but bulk is done ready to open.

i am supplying 20, 80QL picks for the miners first come first serve if you mine you can keep them afterwards. and i will be there with 2 miners myself

I will be happy to join in on this project - relative noobie but I can dig and mine and do general stuff - looking forward to it!

Just received word that the canal will be going THROUGH my deed, this is awesome news. Nothing is more badass than a ocean route right on the edge of my deed. Gonna be awesome.

Updated main post with some new information and a potential change to the plans (still prelim while testing is done).

I'll swing by with x100 support beams (Before the 8th or on the 8th would be preffered?)

@Nukkinak

The 8th would be best but you'd also be welcome to drop them off on the salem end as the folks there have gotten an early start!