Sign in to follow this  
san_tropez

Removing branches and leafs from felled trees

Optional step when logging, using an axe on a felled tree would give the option to remove the branches and turn the felled tree model into something more sizeable. Would use woodcutting and give woodcutting skill, as well as using the same timer when cutting the tree down

• Like 3

Activate steel&flint, burn the leaves [15-30sec burning time]

+1 for a function that makes felled trees smaller.

While I see the idea to implement more realism into the actions, I don't see any other purpose for this task, cutting logs from a felled tree lowers the weight already. -1 from me

• Like 1

While I see the idea to implement more realism into the actions, I don't see any other purpose for this task, cutting logs from a felled tree lowers the weight already. -1 from me

Optional task which does nothing but turn the felled tree model from a clustersuck of branches into a nice, clean lenght of timber. No weight loss, no anything, nothing you are even forced to do, just something for those of us who cut trees and want to use said trees

Edited by san_tropez

If we must have this, I would suggest just doing a model swap automatically when the falling animation has finished, because removing large parts of a tree without it losing weight is very counter-intuitive. Removing branches from a tree should produce wood scrap.

-1 from me regardless.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

I don't really care what is done, woodscraps or whatever. Just some way to remove the leaves and branches off the model since juggling trees around is pain

When I train woodcutting, I chop all the trees down, then move the felled trees into a neat pile so i can turn on SB and constantly chop up instead of moving around. Leaving the trees behind makes it much harder to see where I am going  or if I missed a tree.

+1 so the trees stop hiding things.

Perhaps if it allowed for some item production such as higher ql branches and higher ql wood scrap.

Perhaps even boughs from some conifers: firs and cedars.

• Like 1

+1

Storing felled trees to make ship parts or palisades automatically turns your place into a thick jungle.

Either this (which would help out some WC gains, all up for that) or make a pile thing similar to piles of logs but bigger.

Anything that can be done to help skillgain there. without mass chopping down forests for grind, your wood cutting ends up lagging far behind your carp skills.+1

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 1

how about saving the trouble and simply making the felled tree graphic something that doesn't cause a fustercluck.

I personally havent had an issue with skilling woodcutting, I dont see this providing much use but to a select few, if you chop the tree as you cut it down its all avoided anyways

To me it's not about skill it's about grabbing a felled tree you cant see the end of but you are still allowed to cut it

If you live on a flat deed you wouldn't understand.

• Like 2

I personally havent had an issue with skilling woodcutting, I dont see this providing much use but to a select few, if you chop the tree as you cut it down its all avoided anyways

Your first error is thinking "personally" the suggestions are supposed to improve the game overall, not cater to the poster personally.

Also its not just a "select few" its everyone who makes boats or palisades, which unless you're rich or too lazy you'll end up making at least one of (the boats).

how about saving the trouble and simply making the felled tree graphic something that doesn't cause a fustercluck.

After the trouble they had to make the felled tree animations??

• Like 1

As much as I like the leaf matter, branches, and annoyances they cause, and think they should not be removable, I think this would also make sense, and can't see how it would have much but a benefit to the game.

Neither for nor against.

I preferred the way we felled trees before the stumps tbh, although personal opinion I have to say it would be nice if the felled tree was say less inturisve with everything else around it speaking from a gameplay mechanic here.

I preferred the way we felled trees before the stumps tbh, although personal opinion I have to say it would be nice if the felled tree was say less inturisve with everything else around it speaking from a gameplay mechanic here.

Have you ever seen a real trees fall into a house?  be thankful it doesn't destroy things it hits like fences or houses as well...;)

I like the trees falling and see no reason to remove that.

It may be interesting to remove branches, bark, etc. for other things though.

Just bring back the old tree models for felled trees, I don't care if they're considered to be ugly - They weren't in the way. If I have to cut down a large amount of trees I curse a lot, If I just have to cut down 1-2 I pick them up before the falling animation starts. Aint nobody got time for that.

• Like 1

Make 2 models for felled trees, current one for the realism nuts and a phobia mode ( old model ) for those of us who want to find, store and actually use them.

• Like 2

Make 2 models for felled trees, current one for the realism nuts and a phobia mode ( old model ) for those of us who want to find, store and actually use them.

Yeah give them the Blob!! :D

Have you ever seen a real trees fall into a house?  be thankful it doesn't destroy things it hits like fences or houses as well... ;)

I like the trees falling and see no reason to remove that.

It may be interesting to remove branches, bark, etc. for other things though.

However just have to say, this isn't real life, this is a game. A game should be based upon gameplay and I for one find the new felled trees detrimental towards gameplay.

However I understand where your coming from, and like the winter argument perhaps a choice on which texture/graphic you'd wish to use may be the best of both worlds here as Kadore said. That would satisfy everyone's particular needs.

Edited by FreeTineen

Or we could have the option to clear out the branches and such, have extra wood scraps (aka forge fuel or kindling) and a 4th task that gives WC (Cutting, chopping, this and making kindling).

With this you'd suit those who just chop up the wood (don't have to clear it, just cut the logs, but forgo the extra wc actions and skill), or you can do it, get the skill and have a neatly clean felled tree to store for later work.

But i still stand that a new "pile" for felled trees (could be just a larger version of the log pile) would also give us the same practical result (without the extra skill gains though).

And Tineen, the future is ahead, why not think of new, better things instead of complaining you want the old ones back. Idk if its coincidence or its the new models/animations but i haven't had a tree disappear entirely under the ground in a while.

Or we could have the option to clear out the branches and such, have extra wood scraps (aka forge fuel or kindling) and a 4th task that gives WC (Cutting, chopping, this and making kindling).

With this you'd suit those who just chop up the wood (don't have to clear it, just cut the logs, but forgo the extra wc actions and skill), or you can do it, get the skill and have a neatly clean felled tree to store for later work.

But i still stand that a new "pile" for felled trees (could be just a larger version of the log pile) would also give us the same practical result (without the extra skill gains though).

And Tineen, the future is ahead, why not think of new, better things instead of complaining you want the old ones back. Idk if its coincidence or its the new models/animations but i haven't had a tree disappear entirely under the ground in a while.

So far all the animations do for my game is cause crashing, so the future for me is rather static. Obviously this is a hardware issue on my end bu i'm definitely  not alone on this one.

Again i'll also reiterate i'd like a CHOICE between the two, so that people could be happy either way. Likewise with say as an example the whole seasonal debate (some people hating winter) choice is a good thing perhaps that is the future.

I don't like the winter much either (in real life though, not wurm), but i hate the summer more (well not the summer, but just those extremely hot days when you run out of options to stay cool, at least in winter i can put on another layer of clothes).

Sadly the earth rotates around the sun and tilts in a odd way, so we have to live with it.

It would be a nice factor if they changed it so harvest seasons would conincide with in-game seasons. That way you'd login, see leaves on the ground and go "oh time to harvest those grapes and apples".