Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Unique Resources (PvP server incentive!)

Alright, as people here know, whenever something turns up on the forums a lot I try to come up with my own rework.

At the moment most players have no incentive whatsoever to play on a PvP server unless they really enjoy hurting other people.  A reasonable assumption.

Thus I would like to propose a set of unique resources with a little twist.

Each of the PvE freedom servers will get one unique plant (be it tree, crop, foragable/botaniseable or terrain feature) and a unique ore.  These items can be taken to other servers.  The plant, however, will have a high chance to randomly wither if planted (making farming nearly impossible) and the ore will (of course) not occur naturally there.

These resources should offer some minor bonus that alters the playstyle on the server (for example carrots allow quick growing of light veggies, cinnibar allows the production of mercury which can be used to make better compasses, limes that have the same uses as lemons but bloom twice per year instead of once).

Great, so far this is what a lot of unique resource suggestions have gone along the lines of.  Now for the PvP twist.  All plants will grow and ores occur on chaos.  Meaning a player willing to risk chaos gains a lot more independence at the risk of PvP (also an easier life, to some degree).  But what about epic?  The resources are divided equally amongst the 3 home servers (affliction getting more ores as it has less use for plants) with elevation being VERY rich in all materials (more so than chaos).

What this generates : A risk/reward for non pvp-centric players to settle on a server where PvP is possible.  More possible targets for PvPers.  It also generates the possibility of more inter-server trade opportunities (lower risk but lower reward too).

This brings up the optional extra, connecting pristine and release into the main server cluster (a controversial matter but one that now offers a benefit for the players on those clusters (me being one of them!)), best bet would be tagging them to the west coast of chaos so people have to travel through chaos to reach them, adding more risk for that lovely reward!.

Resource suggestions are welcome!

Mitheral veins on elevation but only like 4 of them @ a time

Edited by JockII

No thanks. If you want to add unique resources, do it for all servers, it should not be a reason to go to a PvP Server

• Like 7

No thanks. If you want to add unique resources, do it for all servers, it should not be a reason to go to a PvP Server

Actually, it should be a reason. Ultima Online did it right when they put champ spawns on the PVP side only. The PVEers complained about it for a while and then they actually got smart and started coming over with hundreds of people at a time to get a chance at taking a few champ spawns, in which they did. On the PVE side of Wurm if you were to gather up 1/4 of the pve players you could easily crush any kingdom on chaos. Providing that 1/4 are not all complete noobs.

Actually, it should be a reason. Ultima Online did it right when they put champ spawns on the PVP side only. The PVEers complained about it for a while and then they actually got smart and started coming over with hundreds of people at a time to get a chance at taking a few champ spawns, in which they did. On the PVE side of Wurm if you were to gather up 1/4 of the pve players you could easily crush any kingdom on chaos. Providing that 1/4 are not all complete noobs.

Thing is, forcing players to go to PvP servers doesn't change what keeps people away from PvP servers in the first place. People who play on freedom don't go to chaos, because either they like their independance and playing solo, or in very small groups or because (like me) they think the combat system is a bit of a joke, and especially dislike the fact that you can lose REAL MONEY because some so-called pvper decided to raid your deed while you weren't online.

Until these aspects of the game are fixed, pvp is made competitive and combat is based on player's skill not who's been playing the longest and thus has better skills and gear. When you can actually defend your deed even when you're not online. Then maybe PvP will attract the people on freedom.

I don't see how this will force PvE players to go to pvp servers :) it's their choice to play with the new uniques or not, and if not, too bad.

+1

-1. You are pushing pvp on players who won't want it, or they miss out.

And what non pvper would settle in chaos to be raided by the pvp class lol? By targets you meant victims I think.

All the would do is create a market for chaos players to sell the unique stuff to the PVE servers. It wouldn't promote pvp.

+1. Ada and glimmersteel are already unique to PvP servers. Does this mean Freedomers are being "forced" to go to Chaos or Ele for the sake of getting moon metal? There's a difference between adding incentives to one server and adding punishments to the others.

• Like 2

+1. Ada and glimmersteel are already unique to PvP servers. Does this mean Freedomers are being "forced" to go to Chaos or Ele for the sake of getting moon metal? There's a difference between adding incentives to one server and adding punishments to the others.

Ok so there is two unique items plus what ever else is unique to PvP servers, hota,kingdoms,etc.....how is this going to be any different??

Or bring better results in getting more players???

I think you need to look at how the combat is set up and what that is all about more than adding more goodies for PvP players.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

I think you need to look at how the combat is set up and what that is all about more than adding more goodies for PvP players.

Every time we try that, people whine that too much time is spent on PvP. So the devs' time is spent on flowerpots and wagons instead.

• Like 1

Every time we try that, people whine that too much time is spent on PvP. So the devs' time is spent on flowerpots and wagons instead.

LOL!!!  well.....feed those that pay the bills....

Anyhow I think at this point there is not much you can add in the form of items to bring people over.

It will have to be a change in the structure of the PvP game all together in many cases to get players who are on Freedom to Want to go there.

And we know where that goes........around in circles because some factions of the PvP crowd cannot stand the thought of a different kind of game....

So basically I can tell you what will bring you a nice boost to the PvP arena and has worked every time for Freedom...

New Lands!

If that doesn't Work its back to restructuring PvP.

• Like 1

-1 you pvp because you want to plain and simple, outside of that Tich said all that need to be said about it imo.

So what about ada and glim?

So what about ada and glim?

Ada, glim, Hota statues. None of it brings players to go pvp.

Hota statues just make pvpers a ton of coin.

• Like 1

Ada, glim, Hota statues. None of it brings players to go pvp.

Hota statues just make pvpers a ton of coin.

On freedom, on epic they are pretty worthless for the most part.

Just a reminder, this is NOT soley about adding items to the PvP server, but also adding items to other servers to make the role of "Trader" even more interesting.  The PvP servers get all possible items to 1.  Make them a good destination for traders who are willing to take some risks and 2.  To reward players willing to settle there (since not everyone on a PvP server wants to PvP, I can see blacksmiths doing a good trade already).

Thing is, forcing players to go to PvP servers doesn't change what keeps people away from PvP servers in the first place. People who play on freedom don't go to chaos, because either they like their independance and playing solo, or in very small groups or because (like me) they think the combat system is a bit of a joke, and especially dislike the fact that you can lose REAL MONEY because some so-called pvper decided to raid your deed while you weren't online.

Until these aspects of the game are fixed, pvp is made competitive and combat is based on player's skill not who's been playing the longest and thus has better skills and gear. When you can actually defend your deed even when you're not online. Then maybe PvP will attract the people on freedom.

Its a choice which would have to be made by pve'ers if they want to take part or not. If you want safety 24/7 then yes you should not be able to have all the same things as chaos where there is a 24/7 chance of loss, if you see what im saying there, its not about being afraid or anything its just on chaos people play with that chance of losing everything everyday all day long, so why should they not be given some Rare items or resources. And also there would be 1 per server so even pve servers would be getting something.

On top of that, i do somewhat agree with you about the combat system, but then again i dont think you fully engulf yourself with the combat system. It actually is set up somewhat balanced. There are ways to gain advantages over another player who is stronger then you are, granted in a 1v1 situation you will most likely die, and I agree there should be changes to the combat system so there is more player skill involved, I have also been trying to push that subject for a year now mostly in private. But Wurm is not about solo game play, so instead of thinking like you are that your small house would not be safe, work on building a group of players on PVE that you know all want to go over to chaos and check it out. Dont bring anything you dont want to lose, go to an area thats empty and build yourself a safe haven, its not hard at all.

And last thing, those so called Real pvpers, dont really leave their places alone to raid a deed, if you keep yourself low key you wont be found.

No amount of incentives will get me to play PvP.  I'm happy playing on a PvE server, please keep your murder-sim to yourself.

No amount of incentives will get me to play PvP.  I'm happy playing on a PvE server, please keep your murder-sim to yourself.

Random free(dom) pvp-hate.

+1

Hatters aside, I think there is a need for different incentives for Epic and for Chaos.

And after saying this, I remind that:

Hoping now, that there won't be no one as narrow-minded and short-sighted to say something like "you PvP cuz you want to kill stuff".

If this were true, we would be playing CoD or CS and not in Wurm.

This wouldnt help. There are already moon metals and they don't encourage freedomers to come over. 

PVP-only resources:

The reason glimmer/ada does not bring pvp in chaos at least, is because you have to have a deed in chaos to be able to participate in hota. And if you have that deed, it will be inside a kingdom and if it is inside the kingdom, you won't get the ores, the capital will. The current HotA system demands kingdom loyality and patience to get the ores in your hand regardless of your hota contribution. This is not the only problem with hota. Even if a village was not needed, you still would not be able to beat the dominant forces of the server (MR/JK) in hota to get the ore.

But there's also a good aspect of ada/glimmer. It's field tested. They were added and noone complained that they got forced to go to pvp servers to get them.

Which also means that any pvp-only resource that will not force you go settle on a pvp server but allow you to occasionally travel to get it by risking your death, will not cause any trouble.

PVE - Server specific resource:

It's really difficult to predict how this will affect the servers. It's been proven that people migrate to higher value areas. Check for example the deliverance west coast, its full of deeds and people because it's in the cross-road of multiple servers including chaos. This might also mean, that if one of the server specific resources tends to be much more valuable than the rest, people will move in this server causing unbalanced population density between servers which for very obvious reasons its a bad thing.

Edited by Issle
  • Like 1

It's really difficult to predict how this will affect the servers. It's been proven that people migrate to higher value areas. Check for example the deliverance west coast, its full of deeds and people because it's in the cross-road of multiple servers including chaos. This might also mean, that if one of the server specific resources tends to be much more valuable than the rest, people will move in this server causing unbalanced population density between servers which for very obvious reasons its a bad thing.

Actually this is something I had not considered.  The resource types I was suggesting were mostly minor convenience, not game changing power, however initial imbalance might well cause a migration to a specific server.

PVP-only resources:

The reason glimmer/ada does not bring pvp in chaos at least, is because you have to have a deed in chaos to be able to participate in hota. And if you have that deed, it will be inside a kingdom and if it is inside the kingdom, you won't get the ores, the capital will. The current HotA system demands kingdom loyality and patience to get the ores in your hand regardless of your hota contribution. This is not the only problem with hota. Even if a village was not needed, you still would not be able to beat the dominant forces of the server (MR/JK) in hota to get the ore.

But there's also a good aspect of ada/glimmer. It's field tested. They were added and noone complained that they got forced to go to pvp servers to get them.

Which also means that any pvp-only resource that will not force you go settle on a pvp server but allow you to occasionally travel to get it by risking your death, will not cause any trouble.

Problem is what you write totally defeats the purpose of the suggestion.

Like you said having unique stuff on PvP (hota statues, adamantite and glimmer steel already) doesn't encourage people to go to PvP more, simply because the reward is seriously dwarfed by the risk.

Knowing this, there's no reason to add more. Because it won't really bring any value to the game, just adds wasted resources and man hours adding more stuff unique to PvP that won't influence the PvE community to play there.

Problem is what you write totally defeats the purpose of the suggestion.

Like you said having unique stuff on PvP (hota statues, adamantite and glimmer steel already) doesn't encourage people to go to PvP more, simply because the reward is seriously dwarfed by the risk.

Knowing this, there's no reason to add more. Because it won't really bring any value to the game, just adds wasted resources and man hours adding more stuff unique to PvP that won't influence the PvE community to play there.

Just because you wont come over to fight over this stuff doesn't mean others wont. Firstly people who play chaos everyday all want something added, i dont think there is a single player right now that will tell you its 100% fine how it is now. So by adding more things for us to fight for has nothing to do with PVE'ers who dont want to take the risk we take everyday. If you don't find the rewards valuable for you to come over then that's your opinion.

No one is trying to get the PVE'ers to come over to PVP, just like in Ultima Online the Trammies were trammies while the hard core guys were all on Fel... Same thing here, eventually a there will be some interest by some pve'ers but those are not the players we are trying to target to look at chaos in a different way. There are a lot of old players who dont play anymore because they are waiting for a change, there are new players who try the game and dont like it because of the way it is. There are lots of players on the side lines just waiting for some change to Wurm so they could come and play. I can tell you this, i had a group of 30 players from Darkfall that i tried to bring to wurm, i managed to get about 10 to download and make a toon and play for a few weeks, they all left cept for like 2, i had 20 members say they wont even look at the game because its not twitched combat. So change could be a good thing for this game.

Just because you wont come over to fight over this stuff doesn't mean others wont. Firstly people who play chaos everyday all want something added, i dont think there is a single player right now that will tell you its 100% fine how it is now. So by adding more things for us to fight for has nothing to do with PVE'ers who dont want to take the risk we take everyday. If you don't find the rewards valuable for you to come over then that's your opinion.

No one is trying to get the PVE'ers to come over to PVP, just like in Ultima Online the Trammies were trammies while the hard core guys were all on Fel... Same thing here, eventually a there will be some interest by some pve'ers but those are not the players we are trying to target to look at chaos in a different way. There are a lot of old players who dont play anymore because they are waiting for a change, there are new players who try the game and dont like it because of the way it is. There are lots of players on the side lines just waiting for some change to Wurm so they could come and play. I can tell you this, i had a group of 30 players from Darkfall that i tried to bring to wurm, i managed to get about 10 to download and make a toon and play for a few weeks, they all left cept for like 2, i had 20 members say they wont even look at the game because its not twitched combat. So change could be a good thing for this game.

That chance is to actually have a balanced and fun PvP system, not adding some sort of already proven to be useless mechanic. What you're saying right here is: PvP players are the minority, but yet we're used to special treatment, so lets by all means beg for more special and unique stuff that only we can enjoy because we never played a decent PvP game and so we like it here.