Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Moved rarity drumrolls

+1 to rarity notification change.

Hi,

Dear Rofl, wouldn'd you consider removing them at altogether?

They was a great feature once, in the past, before you started to swing your nerf bat upon 'em. We Fo priests rejoiced back then, and started skilling Body Control frantically, in the hope of - one day - to be able to ride such an awesome creature. When they came, they were great, most welcome, and most ppl regarded it a very good move.

Then the usual PvP whining crowd came in, just having been defeated by better PvPers, now whining for a nerf, trying to push the balance to their side.

And you heard to them. Not once, repeatedly, you nerfed 'em poor hell horses into oblivion. Shame!

On PvE, they still made good cart draggers for some time (only quite youngs :/ ), but meanwhile any bored deed ghost NPC (ST) in my way will kill them (if I don't kill him before). The HH's used to be able to help me doing this - no more it seems.

So they have basically been nerfed down to usual horses, but they still will get attacked & killed by any deed ghost.

For the love of Fo, please, reduce the riding prerequisite then (to 25 Body Control?) - as they are nothing more then a different skin of normal horses meanwhile, the high BC requirement just doesn't make any sense anymore.

Or, better, remove them altogether - it just hurts to see a once promising goal getting nerfed down and down ...

This really hurts. You put time and enthusiasm into a goal, just to see it destroyed while you're at it - not few of the long time Wurmians that I'm so badly missing left for good because of such questionable decisions!

Have fun!

Just about the hell horses; afaik they were nerfed because they were ridiculously powerful in PvP (5 players with 1 hell horse each would wreck 5 other players with 1 normal horse each due to extremely high armor, and shooting them with arrows was often a futile effort), so Freedom got short end of that stick.. but the nerf included a BUFF to the hell horse speed (5% I believe?) which is pretty damn significant if you have a 5-traiter hell horse with good gear. (Keep in mind this is in addition to their ability to always ride at their max speed in regard to traits, which was always present.) Throw a barding on that and you'll be a-ok hunting etc. on Freedom, or take the barding off and zip around on the highways.

Edited by Fireflyb
  • Like 1

I thought their top speed was 10-15% higher than regular horses. Either way, they should have kept some armor, not just dropped to the same armor level of a regular horse. Spider strength armor would be fine; you can still two shot them with a huge axe, maybe even a medium maul with the new aggressive mode changes.

Please read those threads carefully. The issue was talked about but moving drumrolls to the end of the action never had a strong support. Just equaling the chances of rare on production and imping had more support and seems equaly easy to code.

I have read carefully. I wasn't disputing whether the current implementation was a popular one or not, I was disputing the fact that this change was made due to whispers over IRC.

As for how the devs handled the situation, it doesn't surprise me. "Fixes" around here generally consist of making the easiest and least time consuming change possible, without much further thought as to what the "fix" is going to destroy in the future.

In recent example, Rolf (or someone crying in his ear) didn't like that gift wrapping was being used to prevent decay. So, gift wrapping was done away with, and with that, the mailing system was crippled even further than it had been. All of that freedom taken away, just to try to prevent someone from doing something they can do with a free alt anyway.

• Like 2

Then the usual PvP whining crowd came in, just having been defeated by better PvPers, now whining for a nerf, trying to push the balance to their side.

No.

eh people will still farm them, so does the extra effort make it ok in your eyes now?

PMK rulers may now remove settlements. The settlement converts to the template kingdom after 24 hours with warnings every half hour.

Does that mean if a settlement is kicked out on Chaos, we get the actual kingdom back?

• Like 2

Yeah I would have liked to see rare rolls for creation dropped from 100% to less and imping raised more as a trade off.

just add creation % and Imping % and divide by 1/2 and give them both the same chance is what I think should be done.

Maybe keep rare creation on resource mats like logs, bricks, ore, rock, etc...

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 2

And now that rares are harder to make, the people who already abused it will be rewarded with higher market prices for the rares that they stockpiled. Good job, everyone.

And shieldbashing, and normal fighting gains, etc. etc. 

Not the first time, and it won't be the last unfortunately. I agree with the change, I know someone that made way too many rares..... It has been abused.

Edit: I do however believe imping rare rolls should show, and have a higher percentage chance to turn rare than creation. 

Edit2: Hell horses seem to have been nerfed pretty bad.... when was this change called for?

Edited by Orb

PMK rulers may now remove settlements. The settlement converts to the template kingdom after 24 hours with warnings every half hour.

Does that mean if a settlement is kicked out on Chaos, we get the actual kingdom back?

I doubt it since the current PMKs were made from Freedom so it would be converted back to freedom isles 

I doubt it since the current PMKs were made from Freedom so it would be converted back to freedom isles 

True, but the Template kingdoms are MR/JK

I thought it was public knowledge (provided by devs when the rarity system was implemented) that specified how the mechanics work? Time is split into hour-long segments, and at some point during that hour, there is a 20 second-long window (increased by deed bonuses) where you will get a drumroll for an action (now I guess the drumroll/flashes are at the end of the action) and have a chance at either improving a rare item (fairly low chance, below 10% from what I've seen but I don't know obviously) or creating an item (100% for most creation actions.)

The obvious way to exploit this is spend an hour spamming and canceling creation actions, which "guarantees" you one rare item creation in that hour... obviously this is strenuous but people are determined...

To be honest though, I'm not exactly sure how this update will help, because if the rarity window is a minimum of 20, you could just have a 15 second action, wait til the end, and cancel at the last couple seconds if the drumroll doesn't start (unless the drumroll/flash come AFTER the action has ended? I haven't seen how it is now). Soo really it would just make it less strenuous to spam for rare items (not that you couldn't have done that anyways.)

Maybe information handed down through PMs and IRC chats, not through public posts on site or Forums afaik.

The wiki is obviously worded based on speculation, and nothing even close to what you wrote. So no, not really information handed down by the devs, or if it was so, not in a fair, public manner.

About hellhorses. Yeah its getting worse and worse. When they were just normal red horses all shiny and bright they were awesome, i could hitched in carts, since i couldn't be bothered to get my Fo to high bc. (not even my main has enough i think). But hellhorse carts were faster and cooler.

Then something weird happened and i couldn't ever hitch them, except young or adolescent. Then armor nerf (which would have made it impossible for me to have gotten my original 2 hellhorses which i had to lead half way across exodus), and now apparently they do AoE damage to friendlies. Just awesome.

The impression i got from manny was that rarity windows happen at random, but average out to 1 an hour. So it's possible to see 5 windows in one hour or go 5 days without any.

The impression i got from manny was that rarity windows happen at random, but average out to 1 an hour. So it's possible to see 5 windows in one hour or go 5 days without any.

I grinded mining for 4 hours of sleep bonus one day, and got 4 rare ore.. that's my only real personal experience with it that would back what I said up, so I may be wrong. :)

The impression I get is that rares are far from random, but instead based on skill and type of activity. Of course it may just be coincidence that I can smith 200 horseshoes with my 70bs without a single roll, then improve a net trap at low skill and turn it rare, and then drown in a gorillion rolls when cutting down lemon trees

• Like 1

True, but the Template kingdoms are MR/JK

Template kingdoms are kingdoms that you create a PMK from, in this case Freedom. 

+1 it was time to make them use resources, items, materials, special items, etc... on making rares.

Nothing has changed except they cannot keep restarting over and over again cheating the system.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

In regard to the PMK change,

way to take the easy route and make one side have more power to be abused. that's the way that fairness and balance works? wurm devs should be highered by Riot Games

Nothing has changed except they cannot keep restarting over and over again cheating the system.

Actually they can, the only thing that has changed is they must wait until the end of the action instead of at the beginning.

Actually they can, the only thing that has changed is they must wait until the end of the action instead of at the beginning.

Well if they continue down that path of not using up items to create then I guess more changes will come if that's the case.

We shall see how that goes in the days ahead.

Same as making hundreds useless items to improve them just to get skill. Only think that change now is that ppl will make hundreds useless items instead canceling.

i think the change on rare items window was not needed.

it doesnt solve anything and divides the playerbase.

people who are determined will still farm rares one way or another.

it wasnt really "easy" to do, just instead of digging 1k times and getting a few rare dirts you could

spam create a specific item you wanted rare. Now the same thing with excess junk items.

if you didnt want to buy them you didnt have to, and could make your own.

i stopped caring either way, i just notice that pretty much every change in the game

aims to make it some how more difficult or more tedious. ( yea i know the game isnt really hard,

only a grind fest that would make any korean mmo jealous. )

and inb4 ppl say it used to be lots harder. hmm what can i say, i used to go to school

in 5 feet of snow, 10 miles and barefoot. its not what a game should be. ( only my

opinion and everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. at least in the free world )

add one more to the list.

rarity window

enchanting grass, trees

farming yield

fighting cr

casting power

hell horses

and many more nerfs that ive lost count

nerfum ad infinitum

by the way, i have a small collection of rares. i dont know if i want to sell or not, but since

theyre "harder" to make im entitled to ask for a higher price, right. so the change made it unfair for newer players.

and another thing, pay to win baby.

i love this game but sometimes it tries too hard to make me hate it

• Like 4

You can already be the base kingdoms. I am.

One more thing on the rare window change.

There were only 2 posts made on this topic made in the last week or so,

and already a change was made to it. why the quick change?

Is it true that if you complain in the right place (irc) or are someone

with clout, your opinions are heard louder than other suggestions?

because frankly, theyre called rares. but should only people with money

or lots of time in their hands be entitled to them? i dont think theyre that

much overpowered, only a shiny thing that the owner can be proud of, not

only a few select players should have the opportunity to aquire them but

everyone.

Sign in to follow this