Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Best thing in Wurm is its "Fault"

Seriously not a trolling topic and didn't see a better spot to post this but I just had to, and from the bottom of my heart with all love a father can give a scorned child... I love this game. What is it I love the most? Let me tell you a story (read like a childrens book).

I'm building an island, ok so it's more of a mound of mud that smells of low tide, but its mine, I built it from nothing but a neighbors hilltop. Back and forth, then forth and back, loads of dirt into the cart, out of the cart into boat, out of the boat and watch it fall down the slopes and raise a corner 1. Laugh, cry. Neighbors cool, hasn't minded my being parked on his dock like an Oldsmobile on blocks. I log in and to my dismay, my cart and two horse vanished from the bay! Wander wander I go in search, scorpion oh, Into the fray! Death, respawn. I laugh, no valuable skill lost, except my cart two horse and hours of my time. I searched like a shopper black friday, parking lot oh where did I park? First I was angry, then frustrated, then embarrassed. I laughed thinking of all those rafts I stole from wherever, stolen from me! Horses slow like a distracted mule, barrels full of ... I just don't remember. "What was in your cart thingy?" my wife asks with mocking tone. "Uh" I respond, faking affection. "Be a dear and clean out the cupboard, it's a shuffled mess." she states. "BY JOVE THAT'S IT!" I exclaim at the revelation of my unknown loss, for my cart is as my cupboard, an utter mess.

The one thing I love most about this game is what other people I talk to think is the worst point of the game. If someone steals something, go cry a river because those in power/ability wont do much of anything (though one did offer to glance over the area to see if they could spot it). How cool of a game culture to revel in reality, leave your car unlocked and don't be shocked if your car is gone! This isn't the first time something was taken or misplaced. I get mad then laugh because that's the name of the game

Again I must stress this is not a rant or troll, but thank you Rolf for not giving a hoot (seriously I love the hands-off approach you guys decided to use with player issues), other games care way too much to have someone distraught over a missing item. "I pay you to let me play this game, gimmie what I lost" they bend over backwards to make wrongs right, whats wrong is their game where the object is to win, you made a game with simple rules... 'Live if you can, cry if you can't. We will sit here and watch, then applaud or laugh'

(and you guys out there expecting a /sarcasam at the end, nope I really did mean this heartfully)

• Like 9

I have a deed next to indy spawn.

If I would have used my cart and some other saw my horses hitched to it, it would be gone in 2minutes..

Always use your own cart and Always lock it! :)

Learn from mistakes and keep on building your island!

Edited by silakka

'Live if you can, cry if you can't. We will sit here and watch, then applaud or laugh'

That is my new sig, kudos to you good sir.

Someone recently stole cows and pigs from some off-deed pens in my village because we forgot to add a lock to a gate.

Who steals cows and pigs??!

Hilarious!

So, in summary, wurm's best thing is that people can steal your stuff and nobody will help you.

I respect your right to think and/or express this, but respectfully also disagree.

Cheers,

Shiraek

Apart from Shiraek's sour view on an open-world, I agree. It is completely awesome that in wurm, things operate as they would have in a similiar era in real life, or even now. 

If you put up a fence somewhere in an alley, and start building a shack there, it will get plundered the first time you go down to the city river to bath. Put a lock on it, and it won't.

But as Shiraek said, he respectfully disagrees, fair enough.

I am glad it is like this, it is natural, and right, to take a 70ql oak log, on that second newbie day of wurm, and then go ahead and make a fire with it, because 70ql should make a better fire right?

I love it, and the fact that a settlement has it's own laws, a writ has it's own access, and the rules are fair and very mildly enforced. It's right. I stole carts back then, and now carts are being stolen from me, and none of them were more than 10ql, so it's worth a grin and a nod, because it means we are just sharing this huge world, with other... natural people.

@OP...

That sir, is an excellent take on an otherwise potentially game changing experience, a view with which I wholeheartedly agree.

How grand it would be to have the ability to construct a gallows, form a lynch mob and string the bastard up!

Admins are not obligated to help, especially on pvp servers, since its all part of the sandbox gameplay. Although the freedom pve servers do have some rules and limitations in regards to "complete enclosures". See rules in forums.

Heck just be thankful no one can steal stuff right off of you without committing murder (and even then it doesnt always work <_<). While a pickpocketing skill would be awesome, currently thieves have to get by with breaking-n-entering or outright murder.

The thing is though thats part of the gameplay. Now responding to such tends to be more effective when done among the playerbase.

Go after them yourself or let other players know. May or may not find others who care, reactions from other players can depend on many things.

I used to have odd behavior of stealing every cart I could drag around... and stored them in our village cave... at some point my mayor got so angry at me for filling the cave with carts ;) He made me drag them out around the highway. Newbie days, yup yup.

I used to have odd behavior of stealing every cart I could drag around... and stored them in our village cave... at some point my mayor got so angry at me for filling the cave with carts ;) He made me drag them out around the highway. Newbie days, yup yup.

Heh the very first cart I made on Golden Valley, the old newbie server vanished when I went into a cave and left it outside.   I learned my lesson, and it never happened again.    

*slams my forehead on the desks and sheds a tear* No flippin way. Get the pitch forkes, soap boxes, and forum petitions going so we can identify why your cart was stolen and find a solution so it won't happen to future players.

In all the MMO's I've played its common for a player to take anything that the game lets them take. That is how it is and likely how will always be. What we need are coded restriction that control who can take what.

Sorry buddy, but your attitude of thinking its acceptable for a business to treat its customers poorly is not right, I think anyway. 

Pretty sure Im innocent of this particular crime, so...

GRAB YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

angry_mob_by_acwraith.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry buddy, but your attitude of thinking its acceptable for a business to treat its customers poorly is not right, I think anyway. 

Btw, that is an misinterpretation of his message. :)

He didnt talk about treating customers poorly. It was about treating customers fairly, which happens in Wurm.

• Like 2

fairness in Wurm? Whose fairness?

The fairness of the blood of my slain enemies!

Apart from Shiraek's sour view on an open-world, I agree. It is completely awesome that in wurm, things operate as they would have in a similiar era in real life, or even now. 

If you put up a fence somewhere in an alley, and start building a shack there, it will get plundered the first time you go down to the city river to bath. Put a lock on it, and it won't.

But as Shiraek said, he respectfully disagrees, fair enough.

My sour view on an open world? That's a pretty fallacious way of characterising my viewpoint. I love open worlds. I don't like "open" systems that favour scammers, thieves and murderers over people who treat each other well and with respect.

If wurm had working mechanisms to track and prosecute thieves, and retrieve your stolen stuff, I'd be more supportive of GM non-intervention in these matters. However, it doesn't. (talking PVE servers here)

My sour view on an open world? That's a pretty fallacious way of characterising my viewpoint. I love open worlds. I don't like "open" systems that favour scammers, thieves and murderers over people who treat each other well and with respect.

If wurm had working mechanisms to track and prosecute thieves, and retrieve your stolen stuff, I'd be more supportive of GM non-intervention in these matters. However, it doesn't. (talking PVE servers here)

Agreed.. non-intervention would work only, when players would be given a way to police themselves. Currently most of the thefts in Wurm are being blamed on the victims, but thievery is thievery. Just example from real life, when I go away from my car and let doors unlocked, it doesn't mean the car is free for grabs. Yes, it would be partly my fault, but it is still a theft, when the car is taken by someone.

I can't agree that it's ok to allow people to do things that adversely affect others on the PVE servers.  On the one hand they allow this kind of stuff, in the name of "open world"  and "realism," etc., while on the other hand they keep nerfing to oblivion activities that affect no one else at all......in the name of what?  I sure can't figure it out. More and more this game is reminding me of UO in the very early days of the game, before the devs finally figured out that their players were leaving in droves.

@Op...I'm glad you found your experience to be a positive one and it didn't make you quit.  Not everyone feels that way though and I think wurm has lost a great number of new players due to this kind of thing.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Elen, January 27, 2014 - Racist and sexist.
Hidden by Elen, January 27, 2014 - Racist and sexist.

Sounds like a bunch of white girl problems...