Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

Chickens and lawn

So has anyone had their chickens lay eggs on lawn yet? I tried lawn under mine two days ago and so far no eggs. But they don't always lay every day, so I'm not sure yet. Also, I never tried sand, will they lay on sand?

They should lay eggs on any tile as long as they're kept well fed.  I think it was about every 3 hours they'd lay an egg but it's a royal pain to keep them fed often enough to keep that schedule. 

They should lay eggs on any tile as long as they're kept well fed.  I think it was about every 3 hours they'd lay an egg but it's a royal pain to keep them fed often enough to keep that schedule. 

You can just drop food on the ground and they will eat when they wish to eat =)

Waiting the eggs to decay is royal pain* :L

They will NOT lay eggs on pavement, or magic grass. I'm sure of this, and it even says it in the wiki. Which is a shame, I have my chicken coop in a prominent place and I'm stuck with yucky ground for it.

Lately mine haven't been laying as much. I feed them a lot too, but to no avail. I'm going to step it up for two more days, and if no eggs, back to packed dirt.   :(

Another day, no eggs. Tomorrow I go back to packed dirt if there are no eggs. I'm sad! I like how the lawn looks much better, plus it's easier to see eggs. (I only know this because the eggs were already there when I made the lawn, I didn't see them in the packed dirt.)

I recently had a chicken (mature to aged in a week), first wild one I've seen for months, cared for it, groomed it routinely, etc. No eggs at all, it ate well over 40 grains. Alas, Chicken became dinner at the end of last week.  :(

I recently had a chicken (mature to aged in a week), first wild one I've seen for months, cared for it, groomed it routinely, etc. No eggs at all, it ate well over 40 grains. Alas, Chicken became dinner at the end of last week.  :(

It takes 1-2weeks for them to start laying eggs, in that time they have to be kept fully fed.

If they run out of food even for a little time, there will be no eggs.

Chickens demand special care and love :)

Chickens demand to be made into meals!

What tiles will eggs hatch on?

Chickens demand to be made into meals!

What tiles will eggs hatch on?

Any, I keep mine in cave / in some fenced area.

If you are logging out in your house/bed, keep the eggs on you...they'll decay fast.  When you log in, all of the ones that decayed will do so all at once.  If your bed is upstairs, note that the chicks will appear on the lowest level.

mine has laid tons of eggs on lawn already so it works just fine. Maybe feed em more or switch up the food a bit seems to help some as well as grooming the hens.

mine has laid tons of eggs on lawn already so it works just fine. Maybe feed em more or switch up the food a bit seems to help some as well as grooming the hens.

Whoa! Mine would not lay on the lawn, and I gave up on it. As soon as I went back to packed dirt, the eggs came back. I groom them every day, and give them each one each of: cotton seed, wemp seed, reed seed, mixed grass, strawberry seed, pumpkin seed, wheat, potato, rye, corn, oat, garlic, barley, and onion. There's no other food I can offer. But they wouldn't lay with this food plus lawn. I also had two bulls go not fat on lawn, so I guess grazers won't eat it. Are you on Deli with these lawn-laying chickens??