Sign in to follow this  
Maxxer

Nerf Unicorn Spawn Rate

I'm surprised no one's suggested this before but...

Can we make unicorns spawn less often? I know there's probably some kind of percentage rate or chances for certain animals to spawn, so can we just turn that down a little?

Unicorns are unicorns! You would think they would be a rare sight, and it would be a privilege to have one wander into your deed or something.

But nope. Unicorns seem to be the most common animal in wurm, and are viewed by most wurmians as "vermin". Unicorns are nuisances, and those who can manage to kill them(who are far and few inbetween) often go out and slaughter them in huge numbers.

Is this what unicorns are supposed to be like in the world of Wurm?

Is this what Rolf intended them to be?

Make them rarer please. They aren't really good for anything except to kill for exp. While some people may like being able to find them easily and in large numbers for some reason or another, I think we all would probably like to see less of them.

PART 2

This is an extra suggestion I'd like to add onto this.

Make unicorns useful.

In addition to making them rarer and harder to find, perhaps we can give them some extra features or effects of some sort so that if you do happen to find a unicorn then it's a good thing.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

1. If a unicorn wanders onto your deed, the deed gets some kind of small positive buff or something. This only happens if there is a unicorn on the deed, and does not stack if multiple unicorns are on the deed to prevent people from hording unicorns for their buff.

2. You get some kind of positive buff from being within a certain tile distance of a unicorn. Tile distance depends on unicorn's age. Does not stack if multiple unicorns are around.

3. Make unicorns faster than normal horses, so they are more considerable as mounts. (I don't know if they're already faster or not, wiki doesn't say.) Unicorns can not be used as beasts of burden(for large carts or any other animal drag-able thing).

4. The only really unique thing a unicorn gives on death is a Twisted Horn, which is not very useful except for making healing covers, and even isn't very useful for that either. Give the horn more importance or effects that make it more valuable. 

5. Unicorns turn grass or dirt/packed dirt into flowers when they walk on them. This would make unicorns an extremely valuable addition to any pasture. This may also create small issues for people who are building, but I don't think a unicorn would approve of someone destroying nature anyway.

All the ideas above are assuming unicorns are made more rare.

This idea is up for votes on Uservoice!

Edited by Maxxer
  • Like 1

I also - upon joining the game - was rather surprised how common unicorns were in Wurm. Like many, I am conditioned to think of them as unique and very rare. Yet here, there were entire meadows full of them. I even dubbed one place Unicorn Glade, as it was literally carpeted with unicorns every time I passed by it ;)

Making unicorns rare and special would go a long way to recapturing their feel from most fantasy sources. I would also like to see it done. However, I am not sure if this is as simple as that. Unicorns are no more than just another animal in Wurm, but their presence does affect aggressive vs non-aggressive ratio of spawns, they provide leatherworkers with what few animals have in Wurm - hides, and allow newer players a bit of a breathing room, since they take place of aggressive mobs that could have spanwed there instead. I think it would be great to see unicorns as very unique. But this may involve a bit more manipulation from the game staff as it may appear. Another non-aggressive animal would have to take its place. As it is now, a unicorn in Wurm is just another animal.

-1 its just another animal ingame, not some magical mythic creature, atleast not in wurm.

• Like 1

The spawn system has been broken since Epic came out, so almost 1 ½ years now.

One way of trying to fix that could be to cap how many animals of each type there could be, so we don't get 80% spiders on the aggro side and 80% unicorns on the non-aggro side.

+1 to part 1 I guess.

-1 to decreasing unicorns, they're absolutely amazing for weapon skill.

-1 they aren't that common, only in certain areas that they spawn in (seems to be near lakes, with fruit trees) do you really see 3-4 at any given time.

There great for many things, FS, LW, alchemy - you name it! Not to mention riding them ;)

Not sure what you mean by people killing them far and few between... A level 1 FS player can kill them with a 70ql weapon and 50+ ql chainmail.

-1. Haven't seen any for months in my area, but other places gets dozens of them >.>

Maybe more spawn spots, less unicorns in one place.

Edited by Martynas5

Unicorns aren't THAT hard to kill - I was training on raging unicorns at 30 fighting skill.

Keep it as it is.

Nah cause we like to kill em, and then saw off their horns with a dull, rusty saw (not always in that order.).

-1. Haven't seen any for months in my area, but other places gets dozens of them >.>

Maybe more spawn spots, less unicorns in one place.

That's because I was killing the few in our area, lol. But I moved to a bigger deed so maybe you'll see more ;)

Also note, Since I'm still working on what tree types influence what mobs to spawn, it's either a apple or cherry tree for unicorns (water/lakes also play a heavy roll I believe) you have a heavily dense apple area right beside you, take a look at it from time to time - you may see some. ;)

it's either a apple or cherry tree for unicorns (water/lakes also play a heavy roll I believe) you have a heavily dense apple area right beside you, take a look at it from time to time - you may see some. ;)

I would say apple, as I live in the middle of a massive cherry forest with lots of coast, and I never have seen a single unicorn in that area, neither has my friends and neighbours.

They're already plenty useful as an FS grinding slave until about 60

Unicorns are evil, I +1 on this alone and on no gameplay mechanics (though they are rather satisfying to kill.)

I've seen probably around 100 or so on the island I live on. Maybe even 200! Just- wow. It's like they're breeding like rabbits.

Edited by Maxxer

They don't Breed on their own.

As to the idea of reducing the spawn rate, no thank you. I believe you to just be very unlucky with how many Unicorns you are getting. Look around for some Unicorn Rustles, and bash those it, that should reduce the spawning a bit.

Edited by Shrimpiie

-1  The current spawn rate is just fine.  We all get lots of 1 type creature around our areas, and later that type changes.  Be glad you just have unicorns, imagine what your day will be like when it's mostly trolls.  And it will be that way one day for you.

They have so much meat on them, unicorn meals taste the best!

I only see a couple now and then....if you have too many  spawn lairs you can destroy them.