Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

Rich bird sounds

Over the wall is a field; the field has a lot of trampled squares, some magic grass squares, a few pieces of high rose hedge which I've now installed in my "copy." I can't log into the game right now but when I do, I'll let you know what the OTHER section of heavy bird sounds has by it. I very much hope it's not pre-determined at server creation!

Addition to what i wrote before, at least in lyrics roses are often mentioned when it comes to nightingales, so my hint would be lavender but more roses, either rosebushes or those rosehedges.

If nobody is mad with you, remove the rose stuff and see what happens ?

Out of curiosity , how much did you fill the water in? I'm guessing the water needs to be so far under for the sound to change. (Considering waters always there anyway)

I filled in a spot before when I had a place near the coast, a lake by it. I filled in apart of the lake and moved it a bit north - the spot I filled there was no longer water sound (iirc was desert)

I haven't filled in any water enough to change the landscape, but I have crossed over areas that used to be water and heard shore sounds.  I agree it is probably a matter of depth, as in the same area it sounded like I was walking in water.  I think if they filled it in a few dirts deeper that sounds would change.

If nobody is mad with you, remove the rose stuff and see what happens ?

OMG I wouldn't do anything to risk losing the sounds. Also, in this case, I can't get at the rose hedges because they're behind a fence. I planted one rose hedge on my experiment, but it's still a baby. I'll check the other area tomorrow and report on ingredients.

Yesterday, I was passing through my neighbour's deed, when I heard the bird sounds play. I got excited! I was at the north end of his deed, close to exiting it and starting immediately in his perimetter was a forest. Naturally, since I heard the sounds while moving towards that forest, I assumed that they were coming from there. Moving closer, the sounds got louder, which seemed to confirm my findings.

Lo and behold, when I finally reached the forest (some 10 tiles from the start of the sound), I realized that while I could still hear them there, the spot the birds were coming from was not from the forest at all, but from the adjoining farmland. I moved around many times to pinpoint the centre of the sound. It was emanating from that farmland, a few tiles away from the forest wall.

Granted, the area is pretty pristine. A forest and farmland meeting with only a fence being a man-made object between them. There is a road and buildings nearby, however, which are still in the sound radius. And the entire deed is Vynora's domain. So, I am now utterly confused as to how these sounds are created. I am starting to think they are a random feature, away from the ocean. Here is what I know about this place:

- sound radius about 10 tiles from the centre

- epicenter of the sound is on a farm tile, about 3 tiles away from a forest

- the forest almost predominantly cedar trees, but is pepperd with cherry and apple trees as well, especially close to the farmland

- the area is Vynora's domain

- the area is away from water

- there are no bushes in the area (there are rose bushes further south, quite a lot of them, but no sound there)

- there are two buildings and a road in the sound perimetter, but away from the epicentre, almost at the edge of the sound

- roundpole fence is the only man made feature close to the sound epicentre

Could we please have a developer give a hint as to how to recreate such sounds? We don't need a step by step. Just let us know what we should be starting with.

Every large area of farmland I've been through has rich bird sounds. However, I am not an expert on the subject as big farms make me die of boredom :D

I'm in the middle of converting a large hill of moss in the middle of a forest into a large hill of forest. I'm about halfway done and I've already gotten the rich bird sounds on-deed. Here's where I'm at so far:

Lots of trees: pines, cedars, apples, cherrys, lemons.

Bushes: oleander, rose, lavendar.

In the forest, completely away from any water

Right next to a 11x11 farm: the sounds are strongest right next to the farm tiles.

There is another area on a different side that is on a hillside, with grass and trees, but I just get the wind sound there. Maybe the slope of the land possibly has something to do with it?

The area has no domain of a god

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the farm tiles surrounded by a variety of trees. Possibly.

I have a giant farm with no bird sounds. Maybe I need to install fruit trees near me. The area I first reported this about is kind of near water. I'll count the tiles when I can get back on. But yes there is a farm nearby. Tomorrow I'll put fruits by my biggest farm.

I was eventually driven to mute my game .. being unable to find the steppe tiles around my home making that ... steppey sound, so maybe my post wont be incredibly helpful.

What I usually do (when I want ambient sound) is mix/match soundtracks off youtube.  For example:

Birds:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G8LAiHSCAs

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIJ2x3nxzQ

Rain:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOBXOdLiig

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1EDFA0U2s

Night time:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2skv9kuzTw

Ocean:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77SKdyn-1Y

I know this isn't really what you are looking for, but you can find some really great sound loops to customize wurm according to your mood.

Edited by Idony

IDK why but youtube plus Wurm on this computer leads to trouble. I guess because I use Firefox and it has memory leaks. Those are great sounds, I love white noise. I always have some on.

Could we please have a developer give a hint as to how to recreate such sounds? We don't need a step by step. Just let us know what we should be starting with.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind a step by step. I wouldn't mind if you just came and installed it!

I'm in the middle of converting a large hill of moss in the middle of a forest into a large hill of forest. I'm about halfway done and I've already gotten the rich bird sounds on-deed. Here's where I'm at so far:

Lots of trees: pines, cedars, apples, cherrys, lemons.

Bushes: oleander, rose, lavendar.

In the forest, completely away from any water

Right next to a 11x11 farm: the sounds are strongest right next to the farm tiles.

There is another area on a different side that is on a hillside, with grass and trees, but I just get the wind sound there. Maybe the slope of the land possibly has something to do with it?

The area has no domain of a god

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the farm tiles surrounded by a variety of trees. Possibly.

I see some similarities between what you just described and the area I was testing.

- both areas are right to an approx 11x11 farm

- the sounds are strongest right next to farm tiles

- the trees bordering the farm are cedar, apple and cherries

The rest is different, but could we be possibly getting a trend here?

It's possible that the meeting of the farm and forest with fruit trees may have something to do with it. Because I have a forested area nearby, but with no farm, but with plenty of fruit trees and I get no birds.

Also, has anyone considered elevation? The area I found is away from the sea and approx 100 to 130 tiles above the water level.

Well farmland is pretty logic since birds love eating seeds. The secret behind scarecrows that is.

Is there a possibility to get a Dev releasing some informations towards Wurm and soundscapes?

Both of the areas I recall the sounds in were large farms and not too far above sea level.

One had no trees for quite a distance, the other had at least maples bordering it. Don't remember much else.

I have a giant farm with no bird sounds. Maybe I need to install fruit trees near me. The area I first reported this about is kind of near water. I'll count the tiles when I can get back on. But yes there is a farm nearby. Tomorrow I'll put fruits by my biggest farm.

Would like to know how many tiles and what the dimensions of your farm is.

Any devs reading?

They read but they don't need to post to let people know.

New development. The original spot that had the sounds has lost the sounds! I can't see any obvious difference, except maybe some of the older trees have died, with younger ones replacing them. There is still the rich bird sound on the other side of this farm, diagonally. It's very strange that these sounds have gone from the area where I first noticed them!

Another development. The area that lost the bird sounds got them back! I can't tell what changed. Maybe age of fruit trees, or amount of tiles planted in the farm tiles nearby? This particular farm area isn't tended very frequently. There are animals in the field, and they eat and trample a lot.

I will report back on the tile size of the farms I have that never got bird sounds. The farm that has these bird sounds is very large.

Same here, Lorraine. The area that I discovered with rich bird sounds (on my neighbour's deed) lost the birds sounds for a while. Then, whithout warning, they came back.

I have described the area earlier in this thread. Since then, it has changed a bit. An enclosure was put on it and a small house. The rest of it is still farmland and the line of trees is in the same place. The disappearance and ressurgence of the bird sounds did not seem to coincide with any changes. They went and came back, regardless of construction.

This leads me to another conclusion - the areas with birds sounds are chosen by random.

That's what I am starting to believe. Maybe some criteria have to be met, like distance from the sea (where frog sounds take over at night), or similar things, but I am starting to suspect that the source tile for the bird sounds has little to do with anything like a farm or trees. Of course, I cannot confirm that. I bet whoever coded that into the game originally is probably gone from the dev team.

I have been playing around with this some. I have been able to create the sounds in two areas now. My neighbor has the sounds and so does an alliance member. Here is what is common around all 4 spots.

Fo altars. We call the birds Fobirds. Large grassy area next to a large forested area also on or near hills or sloped terrain. All altars have been imped above 50QL. My two spots are close to water. The neighbor and the ally are not.

Also, the bird sounds are always near the same places and these places all have a 50+ QL Fo altar. I say near because it seems to me like they can move around a bit within the general area but in those spots, you hear them every day.

This may be it or it may be coincidence.

Hmm, the area I have been monitoring also has a large forested area next to a grassy area (a farm, in this case), but it's a strong Vynora domain.

Has anyone heard these bird with _NO_ farm nearby?

Has anyone heard them with only a tiny farm nearby?

Has anyone experimented with the different crops? It would make sense to me for Cotton not to attract birds, but grains might.

Well, after doing more research and coming upon rich birds sounds on many occasions, I am going to make as definite a statement as a player without access to the code can:

- Rich bird sounds are generated by large farm tiles.

I don't think fruit trees, bushes, forests or anything else is needed here. They may help, but by now, I found rich bird sounds in many locations and the only thing that all of them had in common was that they were large farms. Elevation doesn't seem to matter either (as long as it doesn't interfere with the sea sounds or mountain wind sounds). Not all farms had rich bird sounds, either, but all those I found were tied to farms. Those farms were in many different settings... urban, rural, secular, religions (various god domains), you name it.

So, since I don't think I can find any more evidence, here is my unofficial conclusion. If you want rich bird sounds, make a large farm and hope for the best!

Edited by Valdor

But I had a huge farm, and a big farm, and no bird sounds. Now in the spot where the sounds disappeared and then re-appeared, there was no building or landscaping change. The only thing that might have changed is the age of the trees, and what was going on with the crops. I will have to check again what kind of religious influence might be there. I know I've never noticed an altar but then again I wasn't looking for one. I will try to see if I notice one.