Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

Probably a whiner post but... guard speeds.

A croc and a spider outran guards. They lost the race and I got eaten. Will adjust my thinking and my strategy to lose things I can't kill but thought I would say it kinda stank to get eaten while the guards took the slow road.

• Like 4

Time to split the PvP and PvE code. This aspect of the change was completely ignored, or not even thought of.

• Like 17

To be fair tower guards can only focus on one mob at a time, so youd have had a croc or a spider to deal with in the end anyways.

The speeds dont seem too bad, if you're stuck waiting for them simply move in circles around the tower, the speed isnt that drastically slower

• Like 1

That was my plan. Wagon circle the tower. :-) I just didn't think about it until I was half eaten. I didn't expect that much difference. The speed is not drastically slower but a guard cannot meet the speed of some mobs it seemed to me in that instance. They just never made it there. The post is more of a heads up than a I want it fixed. It was not expected and I was lunch.

Time to split the PvP and PvE code. This aspect of the change was completely ignored, or not even thought of.

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Pvp whiners made a stink about the speeds so now tower guards are useless to us on the Pve side of things.     If rolf is going to turn into WoW and "Let's cater to the biggest whiner"  we might as well all just go flush our money down the toilet.   At least that way its a choice and we aren't being bent over without warning or lube, which is how it usually goes.

• Like 3

To be fair tower guards can only focus on one mob at a time, so youd have had a croc or a spider to deal with in the end anyways.

The speeds dont seem too bad, if you're stuck waiting for them simply move in circles around the tower, the speed isnt that drastically slower

Actually this statement is not true at all......if you target one mob, call guards, then target another, and call guards, guards will attack both, I've had up to 4 mobs being attacked by the 5 guards before. You just have to select each mob separate.

• Like 2

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Pvp whiners made a stink about the speeds so now tower guards are useless to us on the Pve side of things.     If rolf is going to turn into WoW and "Let's cater to the biggest whiner"  we might as well all just go flush our money down the toilet.   At least that way its a choice and we aren't being bent over without warning or lube, which is how it usually goes.

Chill out. I read every page of the 20+ page 'pvp discussion' (mostly freedomers) and basically no one asked for a guard speed change. In fact a lot of people in Chaos disliked that change (can't speak for Epic.)

Don't blame PvP for PvE's shortcomings. 

• Like 1

Ack.. that can't be good.

In theory should be simple enough to create a second "copy" of the guards' database entries and return PvE ones to their normal state.

/signed to fix pve server guards

I think the guard speeds should be upped to what it was previously.  If crocs hellhound and dangerous mobs like champs and alert or raging ones can outrun the guards with such ease, it leaves almost no chance for a noob to survive. If the speed was lowered for pvp purposes, it should be made for pvp only, pve players rely on the guards to protect them from mobs.

Circling the tower is fine as long as you have stamina to do so.  If the guards take forever just to try and catch up to a mob they won't be able to protect you even if you are running in circles around the tower.  You will die two steps away from the tower if you run out of stamina, as the guards never got to catch up to the mob.

A good strategy is something like this; with the croc + spider in front of you, call guards on one, wait for the 2 guards to show up, and run TOWARDS the guards (even better if you can get in between the guards and the first mob you called on) then call guards on the 2nd mob and wait for THOSE guards to aggro the 2nd mob (just gotta get the guards and the mob fighting each other for a few seconds with you some distance away and the mobs will switch to attack the guards.

pvp players dont even ask slower guard towers... it probably was slowed to make newbies able to wander around them on pvp where guard towers are hostile. 

Guard speed didn't need changing if they were less likely to attack horses!! Went for an extreme change rather than a small tweak to make it a bit more bearable...

• Like 1

Just a note but if you call guards on a animal and are running away from the guards it's no wonder it won't keep up; you need to run towards the guards and they should aggro whatever is chasing you easily.

Circling works or seems to. If you are outgunned, you don't want to stop. If you are badly beaten up, you certainly don't want to, guards present or not. I lost the race too. :-P It happens. What's the quote on the load screen? "Wurm Online is not simply about wilderness survival. It's about starving to death in the wilderness, then being eaten by a wolf." 

Like I said earlier, it's a matter of learning new tactics, if this is WAI. If it is not, then the guards should be able to move at the same rate as the mobs* they chase. I think what I should have added above was "Is this how it's supposed to work now or did it not work as intended?" Or even something simpler maybe. Have the guards recall to an area near the tower instead of wandering out in the woods near where they last fought and are too slow to get back to their post. I do, however, realize this was a PvP change. I have never played PvP here so I have no idea how fast a guard used to be able to overtake a player on a fast horse or if they even could. So I am leaving that argument to you PvP folks to ponder.

Well... I may be wrong, but like other people said, no one really asked for slower tower guards. Rolf just "came up" with it on his own. Maybe because the faster alternative costs 1s a month (more if you're on Epic)?

Edited by KanePT

I posted in the thread along with 2 others AGAINST slowing them down, and rolf still did it.

Been noticing a lot of enemy alts popping settlement alarms in our homeland close to the kingdom capital.

Are scout alts outrunning the guards from dozens of towers? If so, what's the point of having tower guards at all if enemies can just run straight through them.

• Like 2

Dunno how long you've played Wurm for but it's always been a game of who can cry the most to get game mechanics changed. Homeserver (Freedom) and Chaos/Epic players all alike in this.

• Like 1

Get some combat skills or ride a horse. It's not hard at all to get 21 body control. I get pretty angry seeing nooblets calling guards on things, especially when they have decent or better gear and flat out refuse to fight anything, even a rat. I mean, come on, you shouldn't be able to avoid combat completely. What's worse is when people are on a horse and they call guards on an animal that they could easily escape from, especially those that give good FS gains or are just plain weak/slow. My opinion is that tower guards shouldn't be able to be called on NPCs, with the exception of Valrei mobs, as they can knock out knarrs full of skilled fighters.

eaglespiritsonJKH.wma

Get some combat skills or ride a horse. It's not hard at all to get 21 body control. I get pretty angry seeing nooblets calling guards on things, especially when they have decent or better gear and flat out refuse to fight anything, even a rat. I mean, come on, you shouldn't be able to avoid combat completely. What's worse is when people are on a horse and they call guards on an animal that they could easily escape from, especially those that give good FS gains or are just plain weak/slow. My opinion is that tower guards shouldn't be able to be called on NPCs, with the exception of Valrei mobs, as they can knock out knarrs full of skilled fighters.

eaglespiritsonJKH.wma

Then delete the guard tower. why would we need them?

• Like 1

My opinion is that tower guards shouldn't be able to be called on NPCs, with the exception of Valrei mobs, as they can knock out knarrs full of skilled fighters.

eaglespiritsonJKH.wma

This only applies to PvP servers. They are completely different worlds and have completely different rules and play styles. I think that is the main problem with things such as this one. PvE rules stink on PvP server and vice versa. When something gets made easier, it might hurt PvP and when made harder, PvE. The only time a player would get attacked on Freedom is KoS. Might as well eliminate towers if you eliminate mob targeting by guards.

• Like 1

No, because towers can still be used to help in PvP. Tower guards in PvE are dumb, they can't kill trolls or conditioned mobs with high CR, they aren't very strong, and just for getting one hit, someone else can tank and do most of the damage, but get 5% of the FS gain that they would normally get. Tower guards are a huge nuisance to hunters. Just get 21 BC and ride a horse, not hard at all. Oh wait, non-prem? Well, there's a reason that you can't ride a horse and most mobs can kill you (among other reasons to buy premium).

While I agree that pvp concerns always seem to outweigh pve in this game, in fairness to the pvp folks it's not always things they ask for or even want. Sometimes they hate it as much as the pve folks do.  I don't know, maybe they have to consider pvp first on things that would affect both because the pvpers have more to lose?  Being the rl money-based game it is, they risk more.  In pve we don't risk near as much, regardless how annoying something might be.  It does annoy the crap out me when that happens and I would love to see separation of the code, but as things are right now, I can see why it's the way it is.

About the tower guards...I see no reason that this was a good change for either side.  Weird change.  Nobody asked for it as far as I've been able to find out.  

Edited by Amadee

If you don't call for help, they don't come. I don't see how that would affect your hunt. And premium has nothing to do with guards who can't catch a mob. Some people like them. Some people don't. Call them or don't call them. That is up to you.