Sign in to follow this  
Avarys

Deeding over buildings

I just planted my deed yesterday. It's a great location - a mountaintop far above a lake, the highest point in the area.

I thought I'd expand my deed now before it's too late. My last deed was eventually trapped between two other deeds so that I couldn't make it much more than the minimum size.

The problem is that there is an abandoned building further down the mountain.

A locked door and about half the walls are still standing. The rest is already gone.

What's still standing is about 80% decayed.

How long would it take until it's gone?

If I deeded over the ruin now, how would it affect decay?

Would it decay faster or would I be stucked with a locked door and some walls on my deed forever?

Your help would be appreciated.

Edited by Avarys

You can't deed over someone's house, you can only expand your perimeter above it. If you do so you can disallow non-villagers from repairing it.

You can't deed over someone's house, you can only expand your perimeter above it. If you do so you can disallow non-villagers from repairing it.

This, I'd suggest if you want them gone throwing Perim over them - speeds up decay and won't allow anyone except your village to repair it.

Thank you! I didn't know that you couldn't deed over buildings. I will just expand my perimeter then. Since the house is already half gone I don't expect the owner to come back.

Houses also get accelerated decay when the owner hasn't logged on for a period of time, so that seems to be well on your side.

Also worthy of mentioning is the fact that since it is in the middle of nowhere, my guess is it's made of wood, so that'll make it decay faster, and it is probable it is low quality. These combined with the information that the remaining walls are at 80% damage leaves that you will have at most perhaps a couple weeks give or take.

Had the same problems,  had two writs on the candidate area.

I went for the first course of action being communication. Tried to contact the owner, and he was awesome enough to give me the writ.

The second guy, we offered him villager status for repairs (he logged in maybe 2 times a month for 10 minutes, a waste!)

He ignored us flat, so eventually, had to push perimeter over him...

your kidding if I had my home in the woods someone moves in and put the parimiter over the house I have to join that players village or I can no longer repair the my house.  This makes player homes useless as you can be thrown out of your house so to speak by anyone wanting to place a deed.

Trepper

your kidding if I had my home in the woods someone moves in and put the parimiter over the house I have to join that players village or I can no longer repair the my house.  This makes player homes useless as you can be thrown out of your house so to speak by anyone wanting to place a deed.

Trepper

Building off a deed does carry that risk.  If you don't officially own the land, someone can come in and buy it from under you.

It's harsh, I know, but "deed it or lose it" is a very real concern that everyone should understand. 

• Like 2

Well i know this might not be the place to debate it but i am not sure the perimeter over a house does anything to speed up decay at all. I have a house that has been under the perimeter of my deed for about a month now and it has only taken maybe 10 damage and that seems like it would be normal decay to me.

With the ql and the damage it is going to take 6-7 months to get it gone. 

Well i know this might not be the place to debate it but i am not sure the perimeter over a house does anything to speed up decay at all. I have a house that has been under the perimeter of my deed for about a month now and it has only taken maybe 10 damage and that seems like it would be normal decay to me.

From my experience the extra damage to the house with a perimeter under it only happens when the writ owner isn't logging at least once every 24-48 hours. Otherwise it's a normal decay rate.

That is strange indeed, Kegan. When I planted my deed, a house of a player who has departed from the game ended up half in my perimetter. Half of the abandoned house was in my perimetter and half was outside of it. The half that WAS in my perimetter decayed much faster than the other half. The difference was visible from pretty much day two. It was a very fast decay.

It's worth noting, however, that if the owner hasn't been online for 30 days (I believe that's the magical number?) his undeeded house will start decaying rapidly as well. Once the house experiences this increased decay and if the owner doesn't log on, it will be gone quite quickly.

So if I have a mine outside my deed, even with a mine door, someone could deed over my mine and take it from me?

10 minutes ago, HarrisonSolo said:

So if I have a mine outside my deed, even with a mine door, someone could deed over my mine and take it from me?

offdeed minedoors can be bashed away

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

offdeed minedoors can be bashed away

But not easily right? I also have a shed right above it. Can someone deed over it?

The ease of mine-door bashing depends on quality of the door. The shed cannot be deeded over, but if someone drops a deed near-by they can expand the perimeter over the shed.

On 1/15/2014 at 4:16 AM, Trepper said:

Trepper

That's how it has always been, even before Deed It or Lose It and the removal of legal enclosures.